Thaksin's Brother In Law Priewpan To Become Police Chief

webfact

THAKSIN'S BROTHER IN LAW

Stage set for Priewpan to become police chief

The Nation

30166785-01.jpg

Deputy and acting national police chief, Pol General Priewpan Damapong, is getting closer to the top police post.

Today, the Cabinet is expected to approve the transfer of national police chief General Wichean Potephosree to the post of secretary-general of the National Security Council, following last week's royal endorsement of the transfer of the council's former secretary-general, Thawil Pliensri, to an advisory post attached to Prime Minister's Office.

The post of national police chief will then be vacant, awaiting Priewpan's appointment. The posting is expected to be made by the Royal Thai Police Board this week.

Priewpan was this close to the top police post on a previous occasion last year, but then-prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva decided to give the post to Wichean.

At that time, Priewpan expressed his dissatisfaction, claiming he had seniority. He questioned whether he had been bypassed because he is the older brother of Khunying Pojaman na Pombejra, ex-wife of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Priewpan, who was police drug-suppression chief in 2000, made his name during the Thaksin government's war on drugs. From being 5th assistant police chief, Priewpan jumped to become deputy chief. Critics claimed at the time that his ascendancy was because of his relationship with Thaksin.

Priewpan was removed from the post of deputy police chief after the 2006 coup, but returned to the job in 2008 during the Samak Sundaravej government. He has only one year left before retirement.

Royal Thai Police Board secretary Pol General Ake Angsananont said yesterday that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had not yet scheduled a board meeting to select the national police chief, as the position had to be vacant first. Such a meeting had to be called three days in advance, he said.

According to the 2004 National Police Act, the prime minister must nominate a police officer with the rank of General for the board's approval before the appointment is submitted for royal endorsement. The Act does not stipulate how much time the candidate must have before retirement.

The Cabinet approved Thawil's transfer to the Prime Minister's Office on September 6, after Wichean agreed to leave his post as police chief if he could become NSC secretary-general. Wichean later took leave, paving the way for Priewpan to take the top police position in an acting capacity.

Thawil has filed a petition against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra with the Merit Systems Protection Board, to protest against his transfer.

Preawphan was yesterday appointed a director of Thai Airways International. He replaces Sathit Limpongpan, whose term expired along with that of three other directors.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-04

Thailand is indeed very fortunate, that just one family can contain so many highly-talented individuals, who are all the very best in their various fields, and are coincidentally able to take senior appointments under the same government.

This success can perhaps be credited, to the widely-admired Thai education-system, because it couldn't possibly be nepotism could it ? <_<

Thailand is indeed very fortunate, that just one family can contain so many highly-talented individuals, who are all the very best in their various fields, and are coincidentally able to take senior appointments under the same government.

This success can perhaps be credited, to the widely-admired Thai education-system, because it couldn't possibly be nepotism could it ? <_<

I prefer to believe it's a testament to the high quality of the top-notch educational institutions that have created such stellar performers.

Such illustrious halls of academia as Sam_houston_state_uni_seal.png and 150px-Kentuckystate.jpg

Edited by Buchholz

Recent email lifted from Yingluck's hacked accounts;

Dear Sister,

Please find attached my grand plan, please focus on achieving these at the soonest opportunity,

Step 1. Get little sister in as PM

Step 2. Get Brother in law as head of police

Step 3. Get relative in charge of the army

Step 4. Glorious return to Thailand

Step 5. Rape and pillage the country for my own wealth and gain

Step 6. Make opposing my party in elections illegal (or fatal)

Regards,

Brother Number 1

That's 3 PMs and now a Chief of Police all from the one extended family. I wonder what they aspire to next - any vacancy coming up?

Another Shinawatra who expects another important position (vacant or not) for the family in the last line below...

Another Shinawatra has chimed in regarding the Pheu Thai Party slogan (and thread sub-title), "Thaksin Thinks and Pheu Thai Does It"

Former Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces (appointed by his cousin, Thaksin) General Chaisit Shinawatra

Article (in Thai)

http://www.innnews.co.th/Politic.php?nid=280250

INN News - April 15, 2011

In an interview with INN News, Chaisit feels that any member of the extended Shinawatra clan could become prime minister and finds Yingluck to be a suitable candidate.

He indicated that his cousin, Thaksin, will be the one to choose the Pheu Thai Party candidate for the position of PM. He goes on to say that Thaksin will only return to Thailand when he is positive that he will not have to serve any of his adjudicated prison time.

If the PTP were to win, they will seek avenues to exonerate him from that sentence.

Lastly, Chaisit indicated that he is confidant of landing the position of Defence Minister if PTP wins.

This is fantastic news!

Power to the sequel,a firm hand is needed on the banishing of the drugs trade in and through Thailand and Thai Airways too! rolleyes.gif

Go get em.

I'm wondering (if you are not a Thai national) why you have so big feeling and involvement in a subject in which you have no say in. :lol:

You look like, as you state in member, a militant of TRT/Puea, red-armed-fraction. More kind of a young ultras supporter.

Funny.

This is fantastic news!

Power to the sequel,a firm hand is needed on the banishing of the drugs trade in and through Thailand and Thai Airways too! rolleyes.gif

Go get em.

I'm wondering (if you are not a Thai national) why you have so big feeling and involvement in a subject in which you have no say in. :lol:

You look like, as you state in member, a militant of TRT/Puea, red-armed-fraction. More kind of a young ultras supporter.

Funny.

or it could be satire

This is fantastic news!

Go get em.

i always find this type of comment strange and hypocritical (unless you're thai of course)

anyway... mr red (at least you're honest with your bias lol) the war on drugs is a futile exercise, anywhere, and if you're basing your comment on thaksin's war on drugs as being a positive thing, you're 100% off the mark

Edited by nurofiend

Irony yes,the concern is the short term placement of a being that has less than a year before retiring in a very powerful position.

But maybe it is me who has no vision rolleyes.gif

Angiud like your appraisal biggrin.gif but some people have kids that are Thai nationals yes?

Young ultras tongue.gif

Edited by MrRed

Anguid - these people that we are discussing will DIRECTLY affect the lives of all of us who live here in this fabulous country. Of course we have 'big feeling and involvement'.

I have no say in how or where beer is brewed - but I definitely have big feeling about beer.

Just because I cannot influence events in a certain area does not mean that it is not important to me or that I do not have an opinion about it.