Taking Away

ChAoS87

I know this topic might be a little stupid to start, but i just like to clarify it once and for all regarding the more colloquial way when buying packed whether is it bought along the road, in a air-conditioned food court, or restaurant.

Do we use sentence like 'เอากลับบ้านกิน', 'เอาไปกินที่บ้าน', or simply use classifiers like 'หนึ่งถุง, หนึ่งห่อ, etc'

Thanks alot..

Edited by ChAoS87

There is certainly a phrase 'อาหารโหม' but this may be used more in terms of marketing & franchising 'ธุรกิจอาหารโหม' such as มิสเตอร์โดนัท.

I'm not sure how far down the food chain (whistling.gif) the phrase goes.

<br />I've asked two thai friends this now and they're not even sure...<br /><br />"chinese takeaway"<br /><br />it's almost like there isn't a word for it (not just the chinese part)<br />

"Chinese takeaway" is a concept that has spread from the US, so it is not strange that there is no specific word for it in Thai. Restaurants here generally offer both eat-in and take-out.

อาหารโหม - not something people tend to use in everyday conversations about food, at least not as far as I have been able to eavesdrop.

If it's something you can put in one of those small foam boxes, such as fried rice etc, you say ใส่กล่อง (sai klong) [put in box]

But if it's soups, noodles etc, which you can not put in a box, then you say "ใส่ถุง" (sai tung) [put in bag]

Or you can also say เอากลับบ้าน which works for anything.

Edited by Mole