I Have A Work Permit - Should I / Do I Need To Apply For Residency?

Hello.

I have a one year visa, work permit, and re-entry permit, good thru July of 2012. I plan on staying, and working, here for a long time. I have had these permits/visas since May, 2011.

Do I need to apply for resdiency, or, do I have everything I need?

If I could apply for residency, what are the benefits/disadvantages?

I'm really confused, and apologize if it's "obvious", but I've read thru everything I could find on the forums and still aren't sure what I should be doing.

Thanks in advance.

Did you really read the pinned thread at the tops of the forum?

http://www.thaivisa....idence-process/

I sure did. That post deals with "Permanent Residency" (which seems to require a minimum of 3 years in country) - but the lady at the local government office told me that even though I was here less than a year so far, I could apply for some sort of residency due to work. Is she wrong?

if you are on a long term WP with the company PR doesnt give you much more benefit over a WP, the only benefit of PR would be if you lost your job, they couldnt kick you out the country

Further I think you have misunderstood what you have been told, you would need to be here for 3 years on a WP and paying tax, and think you also need to be earning THB 80,000+ per month, plus a heap of other considerations.

What this " goverment lady" most likely meant is that you can apply extension of stay based on work here in Thailand like you have applied visa before. :rolleyes:

OK, so now 2 questions.....

1) Do I need to do anything else beyond what I've done? Any additional permits/registrations/etc?

2) If I'm not a resident, do I need to file a Thai Tax return?

Thanks

What this " goverment lady" most likely meant is that you can apply extension of stay based on work here in Thailand like you have applied visa before. :rolleyes:

2) If I'm not a resident, do I need to file a Thai Tax return?

Just out of curosity what made you think you would not have to file a tax return in Thailand, after all you are working here ?

1) Do I need to do anything else beyond what I've done? Any additional permits/registrations/etc?

Obviously you will have to renew work permits/extensions of stay when due. You are also required to report your current address to immigration every 90 days if staying in Thailand or 90 days after any return using a TM.47 form. You will also have tax to pay. If driving a license to obtain.