Best Self-Study Materials For Thais Learning English?

a1falang

A few of my Thai staff have next to no English. I'm no teacher and they need help in building basic vocabulary and using English in a practical way. While I try to dumb down my own English at times, that doesn't help if they don't even know the basics. "Thaiglish" and "baby English" also don't help them improve or learn correct English - and it drives me nuts hearing myself talk like a bargirl school dropout or a retarded 3-year-old. So, I'm interested in recommendations for self-study software or book/CD/DVD programs with lots of nice, short, easily assimilated lessons that won't wear anyone out and can be studied again and again whenever staff have a few free minutes. The following options are ruled out:

1. Going to a language school - staff can't take the time off to attend due to work demands or personal commitments

2. Hiring a private tutor - staff are often not all in the office at the same time to attend "class"

3. Using programs/materials emphasising grammar like the parts of speech, verb conjugations, tenses - too confusing and off-putting for beginners

I do realise some basic grammar lessons are necessary, of course, but we're not talking about academically-inclined staff learning university-level English. It'll be easier for my staff to learn more advanced English and grammar once they've learned the basics and feel confident in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. In short, they can learn the "why" later, but "how" and "NOW!" is more important. Naturally, I don't want any courses that actually teach incorrect grammar or old-fashioned English.

It sounds like your employees have beginner level English. Do you realise it takes at least 200 hours of study to go from beginner to elementary level and at least 1500 hours to get all the way to upper intermediate level? Wildly unrealistic expectations is what holds Thai students back and for whatever reason they are generally much slower than average at learning English. Expecting them to just stick a CD in a computer every once in a while and then have some communication skills after a few months is unrealistic. The only solution is pay more for staff with English skills.