Suvarnabhumi Construction - Skyscrapercity Forum

lomatopo

I just stumbled across this website, and the thread on Suvarnabhumi. Interesting reading, and some fantastic photographs.

Suvarnabhumi Construction

couldn't help noticing that (accused TV troll) Zoowatch is a member of that forum.

anyway, it looks good at a glance but on closer inspection of the materials used, you soon realise that this is no 'world class' project because of all the corners that needed to be cut in order to pay off the vested parties and get the project off the ground.

if you look at the exposed curved steel truss system holding up the tube-like structure, you will notice that they are made out of individually welded together segments which makes the whole curve look bumpy with edges instead of being a smooth semi-circle. the original design called for whole semi-circular steel frames to be pre-cast as a single piece and assembled on site, which would have required them to be made overseas and shipped here in large pieces, erected by crane. someone must have declared that this is some fanciful design indulgence and instead decided that it could be done locally by getting short pieces of steel tubes and welding them together on site. guess where the savings must have gone to?

everytime i look at the "impressive" tubular structure with the bumpy steel truss, i can't help bet feel dissappointed that such a great culture could deceive itself in such a way. these great infrastructural endeavors are meant to be the pride of a nation, the expression of a country's best efforts, a showpiece of its standards and quality and an announcement of its arrival.

in some other asian countries, corrupt officials determine a percentage cut, which the winning contractor will always build into the bid price. the officials play their part in return by ensuring that all parties are paid from their cut. end of story and the contractor is left to do the job. in this way the quality of the construction and specifications remains intact and unmolested. this is how i imagine world class buildings like the petronas twin towers got built.

in a twisted way, the airport really IS a symbol of the thai way. must look good on the outside, nevermind what compromises were made as long as the average layman is impressed with the showy bits. overstate its importance and the new world records set and maybe people won't be able to tell. karma and acceptance, karma and acceptance, karma and acceptance.