Thai PM Yingluck Might Have Made A Blunder By Ignoring Burma's Aung San Suu Kyi

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

PM might have made a blunder by ignoring Aung San Suu Kyi

Supalak Ganjanakhundee/The Nation

Photo : EPA

30166954-01.jpg

Prime minister's short visit and her failure to meet democracy icon cuts Thailand's role in reforming Burma

Making her first visit to Burma yesterday, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra missed a golden opportunity to go along with the country's reforms and put Thailand in the right position in the changing regional geopolitics by her failure to meet pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Yingluck landed in Burma's new capital of Naypyidaw in the afternoon and spent only 10 hours with senior officials, including President Thein Sein, discussing bilateral cooperation between the two countries.

She handed over meteorological equipment to help Burma improve its weather forecasting as well as witnessed a signing ceremony on road construction and the repair of a friendship bridge.

She also paid homage to Uppatasanti pagoda in Naypyidaw.

President Thein Sein hosted a dinner for Yingluck and her delegation before her departure from the capital city at the end of her official visit late at night.

Before the visit, a government source said the prime minister's discussions with her Burmese counterpart would focus on economic cooperation such as energy cooperation as Thailand imports a lot of natural gas from Burma.

Thai construction firm Italian-Thai is developing a mega deep seaport, a highway and an economic zone in Dawei to link economic activities between Thailand and Burma.

Nothing is wrong with such A visit, other than the message it sends is that the two countries have just a conventional relationship.

However, Burma is not a normal neighbouring country with which Thailand wants to simply ensure relations of mutual economic interest.

Burma is situated in one of the world's strategic locations and shares borders with two regional powerhouses: China and India.

Political conflict in Burma, notably between the government and ethnic minorities, poses a lot of troubles to Thailand.

Furthermore, Burma is in the process of reform towards democracy and reconciliation. The international community, including the United Nations, United States, European Union and Asean, are carefully looking at changes inside Burma.

Aung San Suu Kyi is a crucial part of these reforms and national reconciliation. She is now free and allowed to see foreigners and to exchange views on the changes in her country. Many senior officials from the UN, US and EU have met with her to ask her opinion about Burma's future.

Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa, as the chair of Asean, is to visit Burma soon and will meet Aung San Suu Kyi to ask her opinion whether Burma should take the Asean chair in 2014.

Aung San Suu Kyi does not know Yingluck personally but she congratulated Yingluck immediately after she won the July election and became Thailand's first female prime minister. Aung San Suu Kyi hoped Thailand's newly elected government would be an inspiration and that the new PM could help her country to install democracy and restore national reconciliation.

So far, Yingluck has not yet said a single word to support Aung San Suu Kyi and political reform in Burma.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-06

"So far, Yingluck has not yet said a single word to support Aung San Suu Kyi and political reform in Burma."

why would she? She needs burma to buy product from the cronies (last time it was satellites from her brother), using taxpayers' money. and for that to happen, there must not be any political reform.

Sometimes it seems like Nation articles were written by children. The naivete is incredible. I mean that literally: the naivete is not credible. It's like some rhetorical argument, rather than an analysis of a situation. The writer is not trying to help us understand why Yingluck would ignore Daw Suu. The writer just wants to express her disapproval.

That the little sister of some shopkeeper cum tyrant is myopic about foreign affairs is hardly surprising. She was there on a business trip! Why complicate things with politics?

An interesting question is whether the reporter ignored Thaksin's former deals with the junta and their conflict of interest out of ignorance or ... out of what? Must be ignorance. History is not a strong point with Thai journalists. Time began in 2006. But to ignore the linkages between Thaksin's use of the Thai state to cut deals with dictators that benefited his own companies, and his sister/clone's visit to Burma ... that's just outright incompetent.

And another irritating thing is the Thai media's ad nauseum gibberish about how "political conflict in Burma, notably between the government and ethnic minorities, poses a lot of troubles to Thailand." If the conflict ended and people could go home, the Thai economy would tank overnight. The exploitation of Burma's land, people and resources has been a massive boon (and massive bahp) for Thai industry, commerce and consumers (if not its workers). That story is almost never told in the schools or the press, and so the public remains ignorant of it.

To meet Aung San Suu Kyi is a complete conflict of interest not to mention what a ying yang portrait a photo would look like. PM Yingluck would look like a lame duck standing next to a real represented woman who actually cares what happens to all of her country. A missed opportunity or deliberate avoidance?

Sometimes it seems like Nation articles were written by children. The naivete is incredible. I mean that literally: the naivete is not credible. It's like some rhetorical argument, rather than an analysis of a situation. The writer is not trying to help us understand why Yingluck would ignore Daw Suu. The writer just wants to express her disapproval.

That the little sister of some shopkeeper cum tyrant is myopic about foreign affairs is hardly surprising. She was there on a business trip! Why complicate things with politics?

An interesting question is whether the reporter ignored Thaksin's former deals with the junta and their conflict of interest out of ignorance or ... out of what? Must be ignorance. History is not a strong point with Thai journalists. Time began in 2006. But to ignore the linkages between Thaksin's use of the Thai state to cut deals with dictators that benefited his own companies, and his sister/clone's visit to Burma ... that's just outright incompetent.

And another irritating thing is the Thai media's ad nauseum gibberish about how "political conflict in Burma, notably between the government and ethnic minorities, poses a lot of troubles to Thailand." If the conflict ended and people could go home, the Thai economy would tank overnight. The exploitation of Burma's land, people and resources has been a massive boon (and massive bahp) for Thai industry, commerce and consumers (if not its workers). That story is almost never told in the schools or the press, and so the public remains ignorant of it.

You make an excellent point! The nation is what it is. One has to have a pair to write an article that will make people think here in this country.

If the conflict ended and people could go home, the Thai economy would tank overnight.

Strange....Personages on TV say if all the all the retired wrinkles leave Thailand the economy will tank or at the very least Issan will go bankrupt...

So which one will cause the Thai ecomomy to tank overnight..?

:)

The BBC are quoting Yingluk as asking "San Sung whose she????".......

obviously confused again. Perhaps her brain has been hacked :whistling:

Wonder if we could get a televised live debate with Yingluk and Sarah Pallin??? That;d be a doozy :bah:

Edited by Gers1873

Although I have a great deal of respect for the Lady as she is called in Burma but why meet with someone who has no power in a dictatorship.

I think she has more influence than you suppose. The regime are scared of her.

nice !

Don't think that someone who has suffered for her democratic beliefs, and become an icon for freedom in the process, would demean herself by meeting this wannabee dictator's puppet.

There is NO comparison here, One Burmese academic without doubt, astute politician who can I would think hold down a serious conversation with anyone, and most topics, compared to Yingluck who I have yet to see her meet a VIP and hold a discussion on world topics. The Thai P.M. must be seen to do this to establish herself here and abroad. She has avoided this very thing up to now. Prove your worth P.M.:jap:

"So far, Yingluck has not yet said a single word to support Aung San Suu Kyi and political reform in Burma."

why would she? She needs burma to buy product from the cronies (last time it was satellites from her brother), using taxpayers' money. and for that to happen, there must not be any political reform.

Ignoring the fact that helping in creating a prosperous and free Burma for ALL Burmese people, and not just the chosen clique, would create a MUCH bigger market for Thai products.

nice !

Don't think that someone who has suffered for her democratic beliefs, and become an icon for freedom in the process, would demean herself by meeting this wannabee dictator's puppet.

There is NO comparison here, One Burmese academic without doubt, astute politician who can I would think hold down a serious conversation with anyone, and most topics, compared to Yingluck who I have yet to see her meet a VIP and hold a discussion on world topics. The Thai P.M. must be seen to do this to establish herself here and abroad. She has avoided this very thing up to now. Prove your worth P.M.:jap:

Is this possible and still 'appear' effective?

nice !

As most Thais never reach a higher intellectual level than a 13-yearold, that includes the present government, I think you will wait in vain.

nice !

Is this possible and still 'appear' effective?

Animatic.

simple answer -no way jos'e --all she can do is appear-made up, and dressed.

nice !

As most Thais never reach a higher intellectual level than a 13-yearold, that includes the present government, I think you will wait in vain.

Some people may consider your comments as derogatory to Thais. However on careful consideration based on a number of factors I think you may be right.

1.One only has to read some of the absurd suggestions by government ministers, military figures and academics to see this is the case.

2. Many TV programs are aimed at the lowest intelligence level, few require any thought.

3. Voters who believed all the lies that PTP and other parties told pre election.

You did say most Thais. There is also a large chunk of the population that also find these facts to be true