Flooding In Bangkok?

bkkjames

I am here in Bang Pa In Industrial Estate about 5 to 6 KM away from the Hitech Industrial Estate that flooded. We are also 2 km away from the river.. So far so good but next week.... not so sure

We are preparing the factory for the worst.. According to my GPS I am at 3 m height...

I was wondering if there are some flood maps being kept up to date. I hope you can help

planning to ride my motorbike from Bkk to Korat tomorrow. Anybody got any news if the road's ok?

Thanks.

Not sure about all of Hwy 1, but we have a place at Hoykhamin just NW of Hin Kong in Saraburi province. Next to Wat Hoykhamin there's a small klong. We have family members who are at the house when we aren't in the country. Called them a day or two ago, and although plenty of rain, there's been no flooding. The city of Saraburi has a larger klong that runs through town, so I'm not sure if there's any problems there or not. Maybe some of the members who live in the city of Saraburi can give an update on the situation there. I'd guess a number of rice fields along Hwy 1 near Nong Khae are pretty well drenched, but probably no problem for the Hwy.

Not sure about the road between Wang Noi and Ayutthaya. In the past, that stretch could get very soggy. Since that road has been improved over the years, road flooding around there probably isn't a problem. That's just a guess.

Dude - FYI a section between the old Imperial Dept. store and the Phaholyothin Road intersection is one of the most flood-prone spots in Bangkok:

It only takes one guy drop a slurpees outside ZEER or a couple of sweaty farang fatties to get off a bus there for the radio station to start advising drivers to avoid the area - no kidding!

But seriously folks, I was down in Ongkharak about midday Wed. and the river was about two foot higher than Klong Rangsit. it would be interesting to see how far and wide all that water behind the water gate would spread if it was open because big areas along klong 4 were well underwater at 7am Thu.

Edited by GazR

I am here in Bang Pa In Industrial Estate about 5 to 6 KM away from the Hitech Industrial Estate that flooded. We are also 2 km away from the river.. So far so good but next week.... not so sure

We are preparing the factory for the worst.. According to my GPS I am at 3 m height...

I was wondering if there are some flood maps being kept up to date. I hope you can help

May be this will help you, but keep on searching:

http://www.thaihydra...8-04-42-51.html or http://newley.com/20...ng-embankments/

The pdf (attached) page 19 might also be interesting. Here is the link too:

www.gem-msc.org/.../Pengyu_Chen.pdf

Good luck.

Loads of news about Thailand flooding but haven;t seen any myself in Bangkok. And I go everywhere. Sounds like scare tactics.

Blanco,

I do not think scare tactics, but there is tons of water North of BKK that has to go to the ocean. You may not see it now but in a few days it will move south and that is the difficult part, can the rivers handle the amount of runoff or not?

Just a thought but maybe thaivisa could help out here.You could start new dedicated forum group on your site with regional information on the floods, I have been trying to keep informed but information is sparse and not centralised.I think this could help many people prepare also include some advice and emergency numbers which could also be helpful.

Edited by dumpling

News has current information and regional forums personal accounts from the various areas. This was sent out by US Embassy yesterday and same information has been posted in news items often. There is a pinned road closure item in motoring.

If you are affected by the flooding and need urgent assistance, contact

the Thai Government's English-speaking Tourist Police, who can be

reached nationwide by dialing 1155. For Thai speakers, there are

hotlines for trains: 1690, busses: 1490, highway: 1586, 1784, and

1146 for local roads; highway police: 1193, and emergencies: 191. You

can see the Thai Meteorological Department's weather forecasts and

warnings at its website, www.tmd.go.th/en/.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/new/national/BMA-ready-with-plan-to-evacuate-parts-of-capital-30167188.html

The 13 districts at risk are Bang Sue, Dusit, Phra Nakhon, Samphan Thawong, Bang Kholaem, Yannawa, Klong Toei, Bang Plat, Bangkok Noi, Thon Buri, Klong San, Rat Burana and Thawee Wattana.

Some nine canals in the capital would also be flooded, the National Disaster Warning Centre also warned.

The centre reported that the level of water in Bangkok was rising drastically, especially in Klong Bang Phrom, Klong Bang Wak, Klong Prem Prachakorn, Klong Lat Phrao, Pak Klong Talad, Klong Bang Sue, and Klong Maha Sawas.

Opening the transcript of this link states that there is 7 billion cubic meters of water heading towards Bangkok. Gulp.

Holy Crap!!!

THAT'S OVER 1.8 TRILLION GALLONS OF WATER!!!!!

The system in place can only remove 1 Million cubic meters/day!

I hope to god or budda that reuters estimates are wrong, if NOT....it WILL FLOOD OUT BANGKOK!!

I've looked at the available information online vis-a-vis flood protection in Bangkok, but my lack of Thai language skills is a bit of a hindrance, unfortunately.

Informed opinion about whether the lower Sukhumvit area (i.e., near Nana BTS/Sois 3 - 23) will potentially be affected by the anticipated flooding would be greatly appreciated!

Opening the transcript of this link states that there is 7 billion cubic meters of water heading towards Bangkok. Gulp.

That is a lot of water. 7 cubic kilometers, or enough to flood 7000 square kilometers (imagine a rectangle 70km's wide and 100km's long) to an average depth of 1meter. That is approximately the whole area of 'greater Bangkok' according to wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Metropolitan_Region

I've looked at the available information online vis-a-vis flood protection in Bangkok, but my lack of Thai language skills is a bit of a hindrance, unfortunately.

Informed opinion about whether the lower Sukhumvit area (i.e., near Nana BTS/Sois 3 - 23) will potentially be affected by the anticipated flooding would be greatly appreciated!

This video is a look at Sukhumvit and Soi 8 in October 1991.

Unless you live by the river or waterway run-off, I highly doubt you are going to see any problems beyond the typical flooding that occurs during storms.

I hope you're right. I agree that areas by the river would feel the brunt of it, but areas of low elevations around the city can potentially get soaked as well.

Unless you live by the river or waterway run-off, I highly doubt you are going to see any problems beyond the typical flooding that occurs during storms.

I hope you're right. I agree that areas by the river would feel the brunt of it, but areas of low elevations around the city can potentially get soaked as well.

Anything is possible but at this point it seems like the typical news hype. I think there would need to be a number of factors go wrong for areas outside the river areas to be seriously effected. A long lasting down pour is always going to temporarily flood some areas as we see all the time but regardless of the height of the river, I believe the BKK water drainage will still drain into it at the same speed it always does. It seems every year they talk of the massive amount of water headed for BKK and things work out just fine outside the river area but who knows, maybe other factors will come into play this year including a huge storm, pumping station break downs and clogged sewers.

Edit: then again, it is easy for me to be optimistic as I will be out of town when the water is predicted to get here wink.gif

Edited by Nisa

Rangsit, Don Muang, Navanakorn (high Risk), HiTech Park Ayutthaya as well. Water has reached the Asia Road.

Now preparing to move all our factory stuff above 1.50 meter. Location: Stiebel Eltron Bang Pa In.. lat=14.192708, lon=100.580177

Anything is possible but at this point it seems like the typical news hype. I think there would need to be a number of factors go wrong for areas outside the river areas to be seriously effected. A long lasting down pour is always going to temporarily flood some areas as we see all the time but regardless of the height of the river, I believe the BKK water drainage will still drain into it at the same speed it always does. It seems every year they talk of the massive amount of water headed for BKK and things work out just fine outside the river area but who knows, maybe other factors will come into play this year including a huge storm, pumping station break downs and clogged sewers.

Edit: then again, it is easy for me to be optimistic as I will be out of town when the water is predicted to get here wink.gif

Again, I hope your right, and that it's just media over-reacting. It depends on the amount of water coming down river, and the force of it. It's possible for klongs and waterways emptying into the river to become overwhelmed by the incoming flood water, forcing water to back up. That backed up water would have to go somewhere and areas with low elevations are where it goes. That's a worst case scenario though. Still, Sukhumvit Road has been known to flood. We'll know how it turns out when it's over.

Again, I hope your right, and that it's just media over-reacting. It depends on the amount of water coming down river, and the force of it. It's possible for klongs and waterways emptying into the river to become overwhelmed by the incoming flood water, forcing water to back up. That backed up water would have to go somewhere and areas with low elevations are where it goes. That's a worst case scenario though. Still, Sukhumvit Road has been known to flood. We'll know how it turns out when it's over.

I've never seen the large drainage sewers empty into the river and have always assumed they are under the water. If that is the case then I can't see how they would back up regardless of the water level but if that is not the case then it could mean big problems.

If anyone can give the required info I would be grateful. i live in a Mooban off Chaeng Wattana Road, very close to Tesco and Makro. Unfortunately, apart from two dogs and my helper the house is not occupied as I am in China.

Does anyone know if this area is vulnerable this time round, or does anyone have "eyes on" information

Many thanks

Rangsit, Don Muang, Navanakorn (high Risk), HiTech Park Ayutthaya as well. Water has reached the Asia Road.

Now preparing to move all our factory stuff above 1.50 meter. Location: Stiebel Eltron Bang Pa In.. lat=14.192708, lon=100.580177

We, seal-direct lat 13.44.32.57, lon 100.21.06.59

block one door with sand bags and closed the others with concrete (not getting sand bags anymore) in the hope there is enough time so it can get hard.

We lifted out machines 30 cm up and can do a bit more. Funny to watch the smaller staff trying to see the screens :lol: :lol:

A few km from us the streets are flooded and the night Sa-So we had 20 cm on the street for a short time. But we worry when the water from north comes.

We have stocked a lot water and rice so we can also feed our staff in case they can't go home.