Verb + ลง

ChAoS87

Hi guys, would need some clarification regarding the above topic. I have heard stuff like 'ทำไม่ลง' . Does it mean something can't be done/executed in a way that it shouldn't be done(morally or not). For example, if i saw a expensive designer bag on the shelve, but i can't push myself to buy one, can it be called 'ซื้อไม่ลง' ? Thanks..

In this sentence, ลง is acting as one of the 'Six Cans', which are:

เป็น - bpen - This is "can" in the sense of knowing how to do something, or having the necessary knowledge or ability to do something. Essentially, anytime you could substitute "can" for "know how to", เป็น is the word to use. (This is the word you would use if you couldn't drive a car, for example).

ไหว - wải - This is "can" in the sense of physically being able to do something, i.e. not constrained by time, force, drunkenness, inadequate technology etc

ได้ - dái - This is the most common, and can be used anytime neither of the above really fit. It's particularly common when making a request of someone, referring to things you cannot do because of various constraints, or things you can do because of a lack of constraints. For instance, to say "can" in the sense of having the necessary money, time, permission etc.. to do something, ได้ is the word to use.

ออก - aạwk - This is "can" in the sense of managing to do something, being able to figure out something, or managing to understand how something is done. It has a degree of overlap with เป็น , but it's not quite the same.

ลง - long - This is "can" in the sense of bringing yourself to do something or managing to do something, even if it's not something you want to do. It's usually used in the negative, where an English translation would be along the lines of " I can't manage to ..." or "I couldn't bring myself to... ".

สามารถ - sảa máat - can, capable of, be able to (formal: used BEFORE the main verb, by contrast with 'dái'. Often used with dái