Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

As I rarely venture to BKK, I've just had my first opportunity to indulge at Sunshine Tacos, in Pattaya,

though I only ate the basic tacos

An an ex-Los Angeles native, who has often traveled in Mexico as well as to East LA, to enjoy the ambiance and food,

I've been completely disappointed in 10-years of trying any place in Pattaya which made anything even close to Mexican food!

All have failed miserably! Ah, now Sunshine comes to the rescue!

So, today (Tues) I only stuffed myself with their variety of tacos. The Baja fish was great; the tacos al Pastor were my least favorite.

Quite good, but I was surprised that each had either some mango or pineapple as one of the ingredients. I'd not experienced that in Mexico,

but that may just be something that's not usually available in the small pueblos? Not a criticism, just a comment.

Wow...there was even bottles of habenero, jalapeno and chipolte sauces available on the table, though their spiciness was

understandably slightly toned down for the farang taste buds. I also really like the salsa bar with the variety of sauces,

yet again found John's _hot_ and jalapeno sauces also (understandably) slightly less spicy than 'normal'. Again, not a criticism, just a comment!

All-in-all, I was totally pleased during my initial visit. Attentive service staff, good service and food!

I look forward to trying the other meals. I have not had birria since I was in Jalisco, many decades ago!

Thoughts:

Love the new location which provided an entertaining view of the zoo passing by outside.

Have Sopas been considered for serving as a snack...or maybe just for light eaters?

I've never been a fan of menudo and didn't expect to see it on the menu, however if it were offered

...but _without_ using tripe...and using crickets, grubs and larvae, it just might appeal to the Issan Thais. :lol:

Regards...

Edited by LukDod

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I rarely venture to BKK, I've just had my first opportunity to indulge at Sunshine Tacos, in Pattaya,

though I only ate the basic tacos

An an ex-Los Angeles native, who has often traveled in Mexico as well as to East LA, to enjoy the ambiance and food,

I've been completely disappointed in 10-years of trying any place in Pattaya which made anything even close to Mexican food!

All have failed miserably! Ah, now Sunshine comes to the rescue!

So, today (Tues) I only stuffed myself with their variety of tacos. The Baja fish was great; the tacos al Pastor were my least favorite.

Quite good, but I was surprised that each had either some mango or pineapple as one of the ingredients. I'd not experienced that in Mexico,

but that may just be something that's not usually available in the small pueblos? Not a criticism, just a comment.

Wow...there was even bottles of habenero, jalapeno and chipolte sauces available on the table, though their spiciness was

understandably slightly toned down for the farang taste buds. I also really like the salsa bar with the variety of sauces,

yet again found John's _hot_ and jalapeno sauces also (understandably) slightly less spicy than 'normal'. Again, not a criticism, just a comment!

All-in-all, I was totally pleased during my initial visit. Attentive service staff, good service and food!

I look forward to trying the other meals. I have not had birria since I was in Jalisco, many decades ago!

Thoughts:

Love the new location which provided an entertaining view of the zoo passing by outside.

Have Sopas been considered for serving as a snack...or maybe just for light eaters?

I've never been a fan of menudo and didn't expect to see it on the menu, however if it were offered

...but _without_ using tripe...and using crickets, grubs and larvae, it just might appeal to the Issan Thais. :lol:

Regards...

Wow, two completely different opinions on the taco promotion from what appear to be qualified tasters! The plot thickens.

Not exactly.

Someone who says this:

clearly knows something!

Why divert from the topic of this thread, SUNRISE, the exciting, NEW Mexican restaurant in town with the most ambitious Mexican food menu by far in the history of the province?

There are plenty of OLD threads with the other places.

Also keep in mind all the time when reading the local "press" for food reviews, they are not even ALLOWED to publish negative food reviews.

Edited by Jingthing

Up to you. I think these other places have been around for YEARS and people who want what they call "Mexican food" have already tried them and know about them.

Ok ladies and germs, the event we have been waiting for all day. In lane number 1, Nobody (that lane is reserved). In lane number 2, Tequilla Reef. In lane number 3, Blue Parrot. In lane number 4, Sams. In lane number 5, Mike's. And that newcomer on the block in lane number 6, Sunrise Tacos. Ding ding ding ding ding........and they're off! I am betting on........................the one that ends up making the best food at the lowest price :) Good luck to all of the contestants!

I find it somewhat bizarre that 21 pages have been generated about a junk food outlet. Hope they don't open a McDonalds in Jomtien!

clap2.gif +1

I know its my own fault as well but keep getting drawn to it like a moth to an open flame.

Edited by RabC

I find it somewhat bizarre that 21 pages have been generated about a junk food outlet. Hope they don't open a McDonalds in Jomtien!

Not much to do in Jomtien so threads such as this provide some daily stimulation.

Yes, you are correct, sir. Daily stimulation = good... beats the Jomtien boredom bug by a mile.

B)

Edited by Michaelaway

Up to you. I think these other places have been around for YEARS and people who want what they call "Mexican food" have already tried them and know about them.

Well, I for one, have never heard of Sam's before so it is useful information to me! Thanks Surf :)

I tried to go there once a couple of years ago but couldn't find it.

Ok ladies and germs, the event we have been waiting for all day. In lane number 1, Nobody (that lane is reserved). In lane number 2, Tequilla Reef. In lane number 3, Blue Parrot. In lane number 4, Sams. In lane number 5, Mike's. And that newcomer on the block in lane number 6, Sunrise Tacos. Ding ding ding ding ding........and they're off! I am betting on........................the one that ends up making the best food at the lowest price :) Good luck to all of the contestants!

Do you want

the best food? (it might not be the lowest price)

or

the lowest price (it might not be the best food)

or

value for money as a relation to food and price combined (might not be the best OR the cheapest)

I also tried the all you can eat offer yesterday. Whilst in general the menu seems a little expensive, 220++ for 6 tacos and a slice of apple pie seemed good value. Not an expert of Mexican food but a was happy with the quality of food.

For me, the food has to reasonably resemble what I consider half decent Mexican food. No, I am not expecting anything in Thailand to EVER compete with the best Mexican restaurants in California or Jalisco. However, if it doesn't reasonably resemble a half decent ATTEMPT, I don't care how cheap. I wouldn't want it except if I was starving and just needed some kind of calories. May as well salivate over a PICTURE of good Mexican food. I was visiting a small town in Arkansas once. They had what they called a "Thai" restaurant. I tried it once. If I lived there for the rest of my life, that would be my last visit to it even though I love Thai food.

Clearly everyone has different expectations for Mexican food based on their palates and their specific experiences. Some people seemed to be happy BEFORE Sunrise opened. :bah:

Edited by Jingthing

Do you want

the best food? (it might not be the lowest price)

or

the lowest price (it might not be the best food)

or

value for money as a relation to food and price combined (might not be the best OR the cheapest)

OK, let me modify my statement: I want really good Mexican food at any price, but would prefer really good Mexican food at a low price :)

Why divert from the topic of this thread, SUNRISE, the exciting, NEW Mexican restaurant in town with the most ambitious Mexican food menu by far in the history of the province?

That is your opinion and you are entitled to that. I highly disagree with your opinion.

There's an old saying "If it sounds to good to be true, it's usually not."

Also keep in mind all the time when reading the local "press" for food reviews, they are not even ALLOWED to publish negative food reviews.

Keep in mind when reading this thread, that Sunrise Taqueria is a sponsor of Thai Visa. :whistling:

That is your opinion and you are entitled to that. I highly disagree with your opinion.

There's an old saying "If it sounds to good to be true, it's usually not."

:

I think it's a FACT actually. If you disagree, say how and why, why don't you?

Name a restaurant in the entire history of Chonburi province Thailand that has offered as numerous varieties of Mexican style meats (Al Pastor, carnitas, birria, carne asade, grilled chicken, barbacoa and shredded chicken, Baja fish for tacos, etc.)? A custom burrito menu with multiple bean choices where you can probably built a burrito a hundred different ways?

The same for a place that does several varieties of salsa, some of which actually have some chile kick, made DAILY?

The same for a place that makes their own tortillas fresh in house from imported ingredients?

Hard to find in Thailand dishes such as chilaquiles and chimichangas?

The same for a place that offers traditional drinks such as Horchata?

I don't think you can. So what I have asserted about the most ambitious Mexican food menu in the history of the province is fact, not opinion.

No, not saying their menu or food quality would impress people in East LA (it would not) or that it is the best Mexican food in all of Thailand. I also don't doubt some of you may have found SPECIFIC DISHES at other local Mexican restaurants that you like better than at Sunrise. Not the same thing as an ambitious menu. So for this province, it is a big Mexican leap forward.

Yep, so what, Sunrise is a forum sponsor. Hasn't stopped many critical posts to be made and to stand.

Edited by Jingthing

Gil is a great guy! He visits each table and cares. The Tacos on Friday were amazing. I ate 7 for 220++. i still left 40 baht to the server because the staff was very kind.

The fish taco was like being in Ensanada.

The beef tacos tasted soooooo good.

Salsa bar was very well done.

Stephen

B) After reading your post, I decided to try the taco promotion on Tuesday. Arrived at 11:30. Big disappointment. The promotion is only between 2 and 4 pm. It is a long drive from north pattaya. Will wait for Diabio's to open in Pattaya.:rolleyes:

I think the promotion is between 2 and 7 pm Tuesdays and Fridays as shown on this menu:

http://www.sunriseta...tuesdaymenu.pdf

You're blaming others for your own lack of effort to find out the specific details of this promotion? Whatever.

Also it's not as if the promotion is all that they offer. Why not true a yummy burrito?

I also welcome more Mexican restaurants to open in Pattaya. The more choices the better. For example from Bangkok La Monitas and Tacos and Salsa and Chiang Mai's Miguels. However, have not heard any of that is happening.

:( Excuse me. I should said that I am sory I missed the time period for the taco promotion or is that complaining. I did have a burrito and drink and my guest the same. Thank you for the advice. You promote the restauarant, but never have eaten there?? Of course, you never complain about anything.B)

:( Excuse me. I should said that I am sory I missed the time period for the taco promotion or is that complaining. I did have a burrito and drink and my guest the same. Thank you for the advice. You promote the restauarant, but never have eaten there?? Of course, you never complain about anything.B)

Your info is rather dated.

BTW, you strongly implied that you will boycott Sunrise because you arrived and the promotion time hadn't started even though you arrived outside the hours of the promotion. To many, that would seem rather irrational. We only have what you write to go by. If you didn't like their food, price too high, etc. those kinds of reasons are obviously rational.

you said --

ill wait for Diabio's to open in Pattaya.
Edited by Jingthing

BTW, you strongly implied that you will boycott Sunrise because you arrived and the promotion time hadn't started even though you arrived outside the hours of the promotion. To many, that would seem rather irrational. We only have what you write to go by. If you didn't like their food, price too high, etc. those kinds of reasons are obviously rational.

:huh: BS

you said --

:huh: BS

you said --

I did just go back to Sunrise Tacos for a second time. The Cowboy Taco w/ soft corn tortilla was pretty good and w/ the salsa bar even better. The pumpkin pie was TOTALLY FANTASTIC. The coffee was really good too. My only complaint is that the girls (some good looking) are all wearing long pants. This is Pattaya-Jomtien! It is against the law for girls to wear pants here :)

I did just go back to Sunrise Tacos for a second time. The Cowboy Taco w/ soft corn tortilla was pretty good and w/ the salsa bar even better. The pumpkin pie was TOTALLY FANTASTIC. The coffee was really good too. My only complaint is that the girls (some good looking) are all wearing long pants. This is Pattaya-Jomtien! It is against the law for girls to wear pants here :)

Then you need to stop off at Swensen's on the way home for ice cream and ogling :licklips:

Edited by PattayaParent

Then you need to stop off at Swensen's on the way home for ice cream and ogling :licklips:

Swenson girls are hot...love that they always have ribbons in their hair ;)

I read a post earlier that stated the enchiladas were made with flour tortillas.

I looked at the menu today and did see enchiladas with corn tortillas.

There was a menu item named ranchalidas made with flour tortillas.

The poster must have ordered the wrong item.

I have enjoyed everything I have ordered so far except the carne asada burrito. Tough meat.