Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

Yes, you have a choice of 3 types - soft flour, soft corn, or crispy corn. We are trying to answer all questions promptly, apologies if I missed this one.

Soft flour are best served with the baja fish tacos, but actually, I like ordering the baja fish with crispy ones!

Best,

Gil

Sounds good. It sounds like you are saying customers can have CORN tortillas for ANY of the items on the buffet menu, including Al Pastor and Baja fish, correct? If so, estupendo, but even if just for the soft tacos first set, muy bueno. Gracias mak mak. :thumbsup::burp::thumbsup:

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gil is a great guy! He visits each table and cares. The Tacos on Friday were amazing. I ate 7 for 220++. i still left 40 baht to the server because the staff was very kind.

The fish taco was like being in Ensanada.

The beef tacos tasted soooooo good.

Salsa bar was very well done.

Stephen

Edited by IAMSOBAD

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the restaurant in Zone 2 so if you had it delivered two blocks away you'd be paying 70 baht but deep into Pattaya 50 baht? If so, that's kinda whack. :ermm::ph34r::ermm:

Let me check ok? You're right though, that's a stupid policy if I mixed up the zones. Near the restaurant will be zone 1, farther zone 2, etc. Let me work on this.

Told you we'd (**^ up something. Place is packed tonight, seems we have ironed out a lot of issues. Still have some remaining glitches though, we are adjusting our wings sauce down a bit in salt, customer said his was too salty, we tasted, and we agree. Cylantro is now on the salsa bar by demand, near the fresh onions. Who would have thought?

Gil

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the restaurant in Zone 2 so if you had it delivered two blocks away you'd be paying 70 baht but deep into Pattaya 50 baht? If so, that's kinda whack. :ermm::ph34r::ermm:

We are in zone 1 as noted. See attached.

Tomorrow, I will walk around the area, and document the buildings that I feel we should waive the delivery fee to. For those buildings in the immediate area, we will not charge a delivery fee.

Best,

Gil

post-143211-0-27583600-1323609701_thumb.

"Yes, you have a choice of 3 types - soft flour, soft corn, or crispy corn."

Gil - If you're saying that a choice of 3 types are available for ALL TACOS on the Tuesday & Friday all-you-can-eat special, you should make this clear to your waitresses.

I asked one and she said no, but I wasn't sure she understood what I asked, so I called another over who spoke better English - she also said no - only soft-flour. I think a choice of three would make a big difference to your customers and it would also be nice if this were made clear on the menu

Tomorrow, I will walk around the area, and document the buildings that I feel we should waive the delivery fee to. For those buildings in the immediate area, we will not charge a delivery fee.

Best,

Gil

I guess JT will be looking for a new condo near you tomorrow then!!

You should charge the closer buildings MORE for being so lazy to walk to the shop!

Edited by PattayaParent

Gil - If you're saying that a choice of 3 types are available for ALL TACOS on the Tuesday & Friday all-you-can-eat special, you should make this clear to your waitresses.

I asked one and she said no, but I wasn't sure she understood what I asked, so I called another over who spoke better English - she also said no - only soft-flour. I think a choice of three would make a big difference to your customers and it would also be nice if this were made clear on the menu

Excellent point, SR.

So what's the pricing on the delivery?

Same price as on the menu plus delivery charge, if any?

Or will the base pricing be higher for delivery?

Plus tax?

Plus service 10 percent also?

Pleased to reply. No service charge. Only delivery fee. VAT is required by law, since we are a registered company. Same base pricing as the in dining menu.

Best,

Gil

Excellent point, SR.

All service staff will understand this by Tuesday. Good point.

Best,

Gil

Best,

Gil

You should charge the closer buildings MORE for being so lazy to walk to the shop!

First time I have every laughed at a Thai Visa post! Thanks for that.

Gil

Best,

Gil

First time I have every laughed at a Thai Visa post! Thanks for that.

Gil

Have just returned from reviewing progress on our mobile taco truck. The fridge is installed, a flat grill, hot well, and crock pot. Sink will go in tomorrow, with full running water. A microwave (for quick heating only, not cooking) will go in tomorrow also. The chip warmer has already been installed as well. All in all, it should be ready for testing by Thursday morning. We hope to have it running for Friday in Jomtien at the Pattaya International Beach Football Cup 2011 . We have been invited to park our truck there and provide food. To be complete honest, either this idea will crash and burn, or we will sell out in a matter of hours.

The mobile truck will offer nachos supreme (beef or chicken), quesadillas (chix), burritos, and of course, USA cowboy tacos. We are also toying with the idea of having Baja fish tacos also. Trying to figure out also how to offer margaritas on the beach! Now that's a cool thing.

Gil

Have just returned from reviewing progress on our mobile taco truck. The fridge is installed, a flat grill, hot well, and crock pot. Sink will go in tomorrow, with full running water. A microwave (for quick heating only, not cooking) will go in tomorrow also. The chip warmer has already been installed as well. All in all, it should be ready for testing by Thursday morning. We hope to have it running for Friday in Jomtien at the Pattaya International Beach Football Cup 2011 . We have been invited to park our truck there and provide food. To be complete honest, either this idea will crash and burn, or we will sell out in a matter of hours.

The mobile truck will offer nachos supreme (beef or chicken), quesadillas (chix), burritos, and of course, USA cowboy tacos. We are also toying with the idea of having Baja fish tacos also. Trying to figure out also how to offer margaritas on the beach! Now that's a cool thing.

Gil

My initial impression is that sounds like a very ambitious menu for a Mexican food truck. I am more used to taco trucks that just do tacos. Anyway, best of luck in the mobile expansion.

Gil

My initial impression is that sounds like a very ambitious menu for a Mexican food truck. I am more used to taco trucks that just do tacos. Anyway, best of luck in the mobile expansion.

Hopefully there will not be a 45min wait for food from this truck.

That is our fear also. How to balance the wait / good food ratio. My biggest fear is a long line of disgruntled customers waiting on a tiny kitchen stuffed inside a long bed Toyota.

Gil

Gil is a great guy! He visits each table and cares. The Tacos on Friday were amazing. I ate 7 for 220++. i still left 40 baht to the server because the staff was very kind.

Stephen

B) After reading your post, I decided to try the taco promotion on Tuesday. Arrived at 11:30. Big disappointment. The promotion is only between 2 and 4 pm. It is a long drive from north pattaya. Will wait for Diabio's to open in Pattaya.:rolleyes:

Stephen

B) After reading your post, I decided to try the taco promotion on Tuesday. Arrived at 11:30. Big disappointment. The promotion is only between 2 and 4 pm. It is a long drive from north pattaya. Will wait for Diabio's to open in Pattaya.:rolleyes:

I think the promotion is between 2 and 7 pm Tuesdays and Fridays as shown on this menu:

http://www.sunrisetacos.com/tacotuesdaymenu.pdf

You're blaming others for your own lack of effort to find out the specific details of this promotion? Whatever.

Also it's not as if the promotion is all that they offer. Why not true a yummy burrito?

I also welcome more Mexican restaurants to open in Pattaya. The more choices the better. For example from Bangkok La Monitas and Tacos and Salsa and Chiang Mai's Miguels. However, have not heard any of that is happening.

Edited by Jingthing

Had dinner there again last night with a friend and I can report that the service was much improved over the last time. There was a delightful young man who waited on us. His English was perfect and there was not a glitch in the entire process. The food was hot and delicious (and prompt!).

Try it, you'll like it!

Had dinner there again last night with a friend and I can report that the service was much improved over the last time. There was a delightful young man who waited on us. His English was perfect and there was not a glitch in the entire process. The food was hot and delicious (and prompt!).

Try it, you'll like it!

Nice to hear a positive report like this...it looks like management has been working hard to iron out the service and cooking operations. I will have to get there soon for the taco buffet :)

I tried the taco Tuesday promotion today, and it was, to me, just ok.

The positives were the staff was pleasant, though a bit green, and the decor and atmosphere was nice. The salsa bar is a great idea.

The food was disappointing, I'm sorry to say. It was edible, but could be so much better with a few key improvements.

1) The soft corn tortillas are too gritty and were not cooked well. Good corn tortillas have a soft, pleasant texture that Sunrises' tacos lacked. The ones you buy at Foodland are better by far.

2) Big chunks of pineapple were put on the Al Pastor tacos and they overpowered the taco. In addition, the meat was not as soft as it should be, the chunks were too big and it was under sauced. Minus the pineapple chunks (which I learned to place on the side for dessert) and plus some of their nice hottest salsa (which was just hot, not super hot) and the al pastor taco was ok with the only remaining complaint being the unpleasant texture of the undercooked gritty tortilla.

The best tacos I had were the crispy taco with ground beef filling. The ground beef was underseasoned, but with the addition of salsa, it was fairly tasty. The grittiness of the taco shells was less noticeable, I assume because of the crisping process, but the shells fell apart and it was difficult to eat. Not a big problems--reminded me of a Taco Bell taco, though not quite as good.

Overall, I'm disappointed. Would I go back? Maybe, but I wouldn't make a special trip.

Just an objective note, Al Pastor meat is supposed to have NO sauce, so calling al pastor Mexican pork meat (which should be pre-marinated in the intending flavorings) under-sauced is odd. Perhaps you meant the meat was too dry? Al Pastor meat comes directly off the Turkish style round thing onto the taco, not cooked in a sauce. Also, Al Pastor tacos traditionally are served with a small portion of fresh cooked pineapple which is cooked along with the meat wheel. Not questioning people not liking the dish though, that's always subjective.

About the super hot salsa offered there, I would agree it isn't challenging to a serious chili-head, but it ain't Miracle Whip either.

post-37101-0-76323000-1323781369_thumb.j

See the fruit on top. A bit is sliced off to serve on each taco.

Edited by Jingthing

I tried the taco Tuesday promotion today, and it was, to me, just ok.

The positives were the staff was pleasant, though a bit green, and the decor and atmosphere was nice. The salsa bar is a great idea.

The food was disappointing, I'm sorry to say. It was edible, but could be so much better with a few key improvements.

1) The soft corn tortillas are too gritty and were not cooked well. Good corn tortillas have a soft, pleasant texture that Sunrises' tacos lacked. The ones you buy at Foodland are better by far.

2) Big chunks of pineapple were put on the Al Pastor tacos and they overpowered the taco. In addition, the meat was not as soft as it should be, the chunks were too big and it was under sauced. Minus the pineapple chunks (which I learned to place on the side for dessert) and plus some of their nice hottest salsa (which was just hot, not super hot) and the al pastor taco was ok with the only remaining complaint being the unpleasant texture of the undercooked gritty tortilla.

The best tacos I had were the crispy taco with ground beef filling. The ground beef was underseasoned, but with the addition of salsa, it was fairly tasty. The grittiness of the taco shells was less noticeable, I assume because of the crisping process, but the shells fell apart and it was difficult to eat. Not a big problems--reminded me of a Taco Bell taco, though not quite as good.

Overall, I'm disappointed. Would I go back? Maybe, but I wouldn't make a special trip.

I tried the taco special. I have to agree with these comments. Not enough cheese. Pricing ++ for sour cream.

I will not return for food at these prices.

Edited by gguy

Just an objective note, Al Pastor meat is supposed to have NO sauce at all, so calling al pastor Mexican pork meat under-sauced is odd. Al, Al Pastor tacos traditionally are served with a small portion of fresh cooked pineapple. Not questioning people not liking the dish though, that's always subjective.

On the Pastor remark, I'm going by what I have experienced from the taco trucks in the Mission district of San Francisco and Los Angeles. Pastor meat is marinated and very soft, from what I understand because of the tenderizing quality of the pineapple. This marinade coats the meat and it was what I was calling a sauce. Perhaps under spiced would have been a better way to refer to it. I have never seen fresh pineapple placed directly on a pastor taco either, but that was not a problem as it can be removed.

Edited by Jimmyd

That makes sense. Under flavored either due to the type of marinade, lack of marinading it, or perhaps they are using another non-traditional method. Trust me, the pineapple is totally traditional for al pastor, like beets on an Aussie hamburger.

Edited by Jingthing

Cali-Mex and Mexico Mexico style soft tacos aren't served with ANY cheese. No Mexican place can be all things to all people.

Clearly a lot of people are wanting more American-Mex/Tex-Mex tacos with cheese. Some like that are on the REGULAR menu. Plus there are burritos with cheese, enchiladas, and quesadillas featuring cheese.

For people who need cheesy tacos, I can see the taco buffet days wouldn't satisfy.

Call me a food snob, but when I hear people complain there isn't cheese on their tacos, to me it sounds like a complaint that the food is TOO authentic. (Excepting Tex-Mex, etc.).

Edited by Jingthing

Cali-Mex and Mexico Mexico style soft tacos aren't served with ANY cheese. No Mexican place can be all things to all people.

Clearly a lot of people are wanting more American-Mex/Tex-Mex tacos with cheese. Some like that are on the REGULAR menu. Plus there are burritos with cheese, enchiladas, and quesadillas featuring cheese.

For people who need cheesy tacos, I can see the taco buffet days wouldn't satisfy.

Call me a food snob, but when I hear people complain there isn't cheese on their tacos, to me it sounds like a complaint that the food is TOO authentic. (Excepting Tex-Mex, etc.).

Its hardly something to complain about. Surely if they want cheese on their tacos they can simply request it....

There is a set of choices for the taco buffet that is only a subset of all the taco varieties offered on the regular menu. So if someone wants to pig out on "Tijuana tacos", "Cowboy tacos" or carne asada tacos for examples they'll have to order those as separate items. I wouldn't expect them to offer a pound of free cheese to add either.

The buffet does offer Baja fish which is pretty cool.

Maybe a good idea for them to do a any taco variety on the menu buffet deal at a higher price?

Edited by Jingthing