Are Public Political Gatherings Of Foreigners About Foreign Issues

Jingthing

Asking this because I heard on the news today that the snowballing "Occupy Wallstreet/We are the 99 percent" movement in the US is about to spread all over the US and there is an expectation there also will be demonstrations of support in foreign countries.

I am not saying such a demo would happen in Thailand even if it was legal. The reason I am posting is curiosity over WHETHER it would be legal in Thailand? Of course it would be allowed in western countries.

What is the Occupy movement? Good question. In any case, it is definitely something new and potentially powerful.

Edited by Jingthing

I've read about Chinese nationals holding pro China protests in front of the Chinese embassy before and they weren't bothered. But I've also read about anti China protesters there being arrested.

I'm not sure how many foreigners would be interested in something like this, the Occupy Walking Street movement is already very popular

There were a few westerners in with the red shirts, but they were deported for that.

Not the same thing. That was a Thai crisis.

This would be like Libyans in London gathering to show support for the Libyan revolution from abroad. This sort of thing happens commonly in the west.

So basically, despite the off topic, non-thailand related opening, you want to know if political protests by foreigners are illegal in Thailand.

I would think not given the history of Burmese protesting in Bangkok etc.

Lets do try to keep this Thailand related and keep the American political discussion out of it, thanks

suprised Jingthing didnt add a poll in?

Because it's not an opinion type of question. It would either be legal or not. sbk seems to think it would be legal.

sbk is right, this isn't the place to talk about an American political situation ... unless a demo about it actually happens in Thailand that is.

Edited by Jingthing

I support 100% this movement as I'm sick an tired to work my ass off only to see the fruit my efforts destroyed every couple of years by the greed of a few bankers. And I will demonstrate if something is organized here.

Now regarding the question if the protest should be organized by foreigners, my answer is no. We are guests here, Thai already have had their share of protest and if they don't feel the problem concerns them, it's not our mission to create more trouble in the street. Now, if Thai want to join the global protest, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't join them and protest with them. In a peaceful manner of course.

What Thailand really needs are foreign self-proclaimed "activists" blocking the roads. :bah:

If it happens, hopefully the police will not fool around and go for a quick deportation.

You are guest here, leave your self-centered "activism" to your home country.

Who said anything about blocking roads in Thailand? I was talking about a peaceful gathering of nationals to show support for a cause in the news.

If this is allowed in the west, supposedly free countries, you are saying Thailand is not a free country then? No? Then what are you saying?

Edited by Jingthing

We can't even get an agreeable consensus amongst like minded farangs on thaivisa. How could you possibly get enough interested farangs for a gathering against foreign issues in Thailand?

Excuse me, but I am not organizing anything. I was only speculating about a general issue, foreigners gathering in Thailand at certain historic times in their home countries.

The idea came to me when I heard on the news that demonstrations of support for the new US grass roots Occupy/We are the 99 movement were expected to probably happen in some foreign countries. So I wondered if such a thing was even POSSIBLE in Thailand, legally speaking.

Edited by Jingthing

Who said anything about blocking roads in Thailand? I was talking about a peaceful gathering of nationals to show support for a cause in the news.

Asking this because I heard on the news today that the snowballing "Occupy Wallstreet/We are the 99 percent" movement in the US is about to spread all over the US and there is an expectation there also will be demonstrations of support in foreign countries.

You use the violent demonstrations in the US as an example for support actions.

Thailand don't need such self-proclaimed "99%" who believe they can block roads and bridges and fight the police.

Not sure if it's a good idea or not, because the Thais always have their heads up their bum when it comes to falang, but in terms of Americans protesting outside of the US Embassy, I'd be shocked if it was illegal. However, the current USA + Thailand's keystone cops = high probability of failure.

But look at the bright side, if you get deported, you can protest on American soil. :ermm:

I believe http://www.meetup.com/ Thailand pursues and promotes a variety of interests and endeavours. Folks of every flavour, foreign and locals, gather periodically/often to take in their specific interests with like-minded others.

From BKK to CM, Phuket to Ubon - there are some fascinating things that some are seeking.

If this is allowed in the west, supposedly free countries, you are saying Thailand is not a free country then? No? Then what are you saying?

Thailand is not a free country or a democracy in the true sense, if you want to compare it with the West.

Legal in Thailand or not legal in Thailand, people wont know until it`s tried and tested.

I prefer to keep a low profile here and not become involved.

But for those that want to participate in any demonstrations or protests in Thailand, for whatever reasons, good luck and all who sail in her.

PS: Let us know how you get on?

That's an easy one,

as political gatherings/demonstrations in Thailand come with an obligate 500 ฿ note sticked to the inside of the Styrofoam box with your free kao mun gai, it would be assumed as work.

No work permits for foreigners in this field, sorry, Next

The occupy movements are not only non Thailand related so have no place here....

But more importantly a non starter here in the first place.

They do not call them X-pats for nothing.

If X-pats were the types who wanted to instigate change in their home country they(the majority not counting work related types) would not have left to seek a life elsewhere.

There is no chance they will then protest from afar to feign a desire to change that which they fled.

But if I am wrong & if you find it legal I wish you much luck when you attempt it.....If legal you will be attempting to join this won't you?

Edited by flying

They do not call them X-pats for nothing.

Expats aren't immigrants. Many of us are very interested in the politics of our home countries, continue to have deep economic and personal ties to our home countries, and many of us will eventually be going home as well (whether we like it or not, shit happens). Also, many of us have relatives and friends living at home and care about their lives there. It sounds like you don't know very much about expats. The other day I was was walking around town and randomly I observed a restaurant that had lots of appearing to be expat Americans sitting at different tables. They were LOUDLY (so American) and passionately discussing current American politics. It was a bit bizarre but proves my point, many people do care.

I asked an academic question about Thailand. I know this kind of thing happens in places like London and Washington DC all the time.

About the example in the OP, I have no idea whether the movement mentioned will ever be so big that Americans gather in support of it in foreign countries. I heard on tv it was predicted. If it ever does, I don't really expect that to happen in Thailand, but still wondered if it was even legal.

Edited by Jingthing