Police Corruption - Blackmail

malkao

Hello,

is there any way how to fight with the police corruption in Thailand? I mean any phone number i can call or someone i can trust to? My story is little bit strange. Family of my thai wife (mother and sister) is blackmailed by a police officer (small district in Udon province). He accused them of something they didnt do. Now he comes and wants they pay him 130 000 baht. The point is he doesnt have any evidence and tries to push very hard to them. He always says he is the police officer and he can do what he wants and everybody will trust him. As far as i know his son has a small shop where he also carry on an illegaly stuff like an illegaly lotery and probably sells also yaba. The story is that my wife' s mother and sister were in his shop on the way from temple to buy lotion cream. At the same time there was some strange guy who was payed out his won (illegaly lotery) by the son of the officer. Next day the police offcer came to my wifes house and said he wants his money back. Family of my wife were shocked because they really didnt know what happened. After that he said they were there in his shop with that strange guy and cheated him and he wants his money back. He menaces they will go to prison if they dont pay off. The crazy thing is they never seen that strange guy before. I really dont get it. How this can be possible and i am really scared the police officer will do something bad to them. Any recommendation what should i do? I am thinking about the lawyer for criminal delicts but i am not sure if someone wants to be againts the police.

Thank you,

M.

simple. don't pay.

get a good lawyer.

Not just a good lawyer, but an aggressive and convident one - willing to pursue charges of criminal fraud and corruption towards the accused officer and his superiors [indirectly responsible].

Hopefully one can find a empathetic judgement in an already corrupt judicial system.

mother of daughter married to farang,sister who's sister is married to farang,every farang has plenty of money,there's your answer.

Nailed it.

Lawyer up and go after him. However, when he loses face and kills the family because of it... then what?

Thailand = YOU EVENTUALLY LOSE

OP T'm with Transam on this, what you get told is not always what's going on. As the cop is not after the money from you, don't get involved unless you are sure of the facts.

Around here if a cop steps over the line you go to the district Governor via the village heads. If the cop won't pull his head in, he will find his new post is in the deep south.

Your in laws will know this, so why have they not seen the village head to complain, if they are just by standers.

There's more to it than you have been told. Jim

Some times things are not what they seem. If you trust yours then go to the Police station and ask for Tourist Police. They will look into your problem. Mention this to your lady and look for reaction. Good luck. ;)

Edited by transam

Some times things are not what they seem. If you trust yours then go to the Police station and ask for Tourist Police. They will look into your problem. Mention this to your lady and look for reaction. Good luck. ;)

Should have mentioned that Tourist Police are not just for tourists, they are for any farang living in LOS as well. They have someone who speaks English to help with farang problems and are different to the ordinary BiB.

a)advice, do not get involved personally

b)I once had a police problem where by the local police was protecting a known local burglar who was also a police officer.

After I realized what was happening I went straight to the Province Police Chief.

They listened, in the following few days; the province police superseded the local police investigation, thieves were on the run but not caught.

A while later the province police chief was removed everything died down.

I wrote a detailed letter to the police headquarters in BKK.

That really got their attention.

It turns out the thieves were a very large well organized ring specializing in robbing foreigner houses.

They were warned by the police if they do not stop; they will be killed.

Here, when the police know the perpetrator; at last resort, they will do that.

Make a long story short, one of the bad guys was killed, a few put away.

c)realize, getting involved can be deadly, and once started you cannot back out.

Getting a good aggressive layer might be easier, but it is up to how much you believe in the fight.

Good Luck

b)I once had a police problem where by the local police was protecting a known local burglar who was also a police officer.

After I realized what was happening I went straight to the Province Police Chief.

They listened, in the following few days; the province police superseded the local police investigation, thieves were on the run but not caught.

It turns out the thieves were a very large well organized ring specializing in robbing foreigner houses.

c)realize, getting involved can be deadly, and once started you cannot back out.

Getting a good aggressive layer might be easier, but it is up to how much you believe in the fight.

Good Luck

totally agree 150%

Surely the famly must know if he is a Police Officer or not.

Can they afford to cough up that much money?

Or is the story for the benefit of the visitor, in order for him to help out.

Or, is this just another story?

OP can maybe keep us updated?

;-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good Luck

christ it just makes me wince to read these accounts of the levels of utter corruption these parasitic bullies will go to - with stuff like this they are at the nadir of delinquency.

the measure of offing a burglar who's mob they'd been in cahoots with to save face and appear to be doing something when the bangkok HQ gets wind of their sordid little enterprise and has to be seen to take action is as laughable in it's crude, thuggish blatancy at all levels as it is evil in it's casual brutality.

arguably one of the nation's biggest problems is that the guys paid to catch the bad guys are the worst guys.

Edited by GooEng

Should have mentioned that Tourist Police are not just for tourists, they are for any farang living in LOS as well. They have someone who speaks English to help with farang problems and are different to the ordinary BiB.

Good advice the Tourist Police are excellent. They will stand up and be counted next to the BIB.I used them when the Jetski Mafia & BIB tried to get me with a scam. The story there is for another day. Damage was done not by me but by a "distressed swimmer" I went to help. He subsequently capsized the JetSki. I ended up paying 10% of what was trying to be extorted out of me. They get my vote any day.

In traffic incidents if you have class 1 insurance your insurance company will fix any under the table dealings by anyone including Police Officers.

In your case I am not sure what you should do. Remember nothing in Thailand is as it seems. He is not extorting directly from you... I would look the other way. My MIL is from an average background and I think she would be able to deal with it. Everything you mention goes on where we live. However it is not in Udon. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand why some people living here and visiting need to feel that the tourist police are there to help them as a final force on their side. Unfortunately, it just ain't so.

So what are they there for ??

• 1 month later...

Re: attorneys vs police. Ain't gonna happen. Find the highest ranking cop you can access who is above this guy, come to an agreement upon how much he'll accept as a contribution to help out his family and compensate taking time from his busy schedule to help you. He'll give the guy a token amount and make it go away. 10,000 is cheaper than 100,000 and worth it to go away with face saving for all. Cost of living in los.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

mother of daughter married to farang,sister who's sister is married to farang,every farang has plenty of money,there's your answer.

Of course. Farang have the market cornered on magical money trees. Well understood fact.wai.gif

He accused them of something they didnt do. Now he comes and wants they pay him 130 000 baht. The point is he doesnt have any evidence and tries to push very hard to them. He always says he is the police officer and he can do what he wants and everybody will trust him. As far as i know his son has a small shop where he also carry on an illegaly stuff like an illegaly lotery and probably sells also yaba.

Have you any hard evidence the police officers son "probably sells also yaba" ..Or is it just hearsay or a figment of your imagination, also the figure of 130, 000 baht, is that fact or your imagination running wild, something not quite right with this story IMO and I'm suprised no one has called you a troll yet.

Strange story indeed.

• 2 months later...

I happen to know a good Crown Prosecutor, you may like to contact him. He's been a Crown Prosecutor for the Thai Government for about 40 years, and he is a good man. He would not require any payment at all. If you need further information about his contact details, you can message me. Oh and by the way, he is located at the Crown Prosecutors office at Rachayothin, so it might be difficult for you to meet him; so I guess calling him is the best option at least you two can have a good chat. In any event, do not pay that officer anything. If he suspects you've got money to spare, he'll expect full payment later on.

Unfortunately, in Thailand it's normal to make a formal statement against someone in the same district in which the apparent crime took place. Since this is extortion and a threat from an apparent officer of the law, it might be very difficult to make a formal statement in your district. If it is at all possible, I suggest making use of a video camera to record his actions. With this, take it to another district and explain how it's not appropriate to make a formal statement in your district. The video footage would probably be enough to get people on your side.