Pheu Thai MPs Seek New Military

webfact

I note many looking forward to a coup, with varying degrees of relish. You may dislike (detest) the current governement, and loathe it's every action, but does it mean nothing to you that they were elected less than three months ago. Everyone knows that they intended to allow Thaksin to return, everyone knew that they were going to redress the balance of power / put their own people in power within the military. Prior to the election they argued that the military and judiciary were biased against them. They were elected, they have a mandate.They are doing what they said they would do. A coup would be wrong, especially as the last two trucks in the convoy to roll out of the barracks would be carrying the Democrats (remember them, they lost the election) to form the replacement government!

No they don't have the right to remove all check and balances and push their family members in all agencies. Specially with the intend to brake laws.

This is criminal no mater if elected or not. Also Hitler was elected.

Beside that there are big irregularities in this election.

I note many looking forward to a coup, with varying degrees of relish. You may dislike (detest) the current governement, and loathe it's every action, but does it mean nothing to you that they were elected less than three months ago. Everyone knows that they intended to allow Thaksin to return, everyone knew that they were going to redress the balance of power / put their own people in power within the military. Prior to the election they argued that the military and judiciary were biased against them. They were elected, they have a mandate.They are doing what they said they would do. A coup would be wrong, especially as the last two trucks in the convoy to roll out of the barracks would be carrying the Democrats (remember them, they lost the election) to form the replacement government!

Loathing nepotism and despising wannabe tyrants that undermine democratic institutions is NOT the same thing as "looking forward to a coup". You are putting words in other people's mouths here. Do you seriously think it is acceptable in a democracy to appoint relatives to high level government positions? Is this, in your view, "democratic"? Would you say this is "good governance"? Ever heard of the separation of powers?

Democracy cannot exist without rule of law, and ultimately both are social contracts. If you break the rules nobody else is going to keep their part of the bargain, which means your'e back to "he with the most guns wins". These guys are playing Russian roulette, and every check they undermine by appointing a relative to oversee it is another bullet in the gun.

The government is doomed. I'm saying it's their own stupid fault for undermining the legitimate checks and balances on their power. This is not "pro coup", it's an "anti-tyrant" and "to hell with corruption" view. I hope that clarifies things.

If the government is doomed it should be doomed at the ballot box, not at the hands of the generals. You make valid points about nepotism and separation of powers, but the overturning of an elected government, however disliked by some, with a military coup to preserve the generals grip on the levers of power is I believe a greater wrong. This government should fall at the hands of the electors who put it in, not before the tanks of the people who failed to win the last election.

Edited by JAG

Between Yingluck's pending conflict of interest investigation with the new home buyer's scam and her apparently under-reported wealth on her asset declaration statement to Thaksin's continual, and unlawful, involvement with Pheu Thai Party... a coup may be pre-empted by Thaksin Ver. 4.0's continual infringements on the law that could easily catch up with them.

They can't help themselves with PTP facing dissolution or the Yingluck getting removed for illegal acts.

Did they loose the election

Or did they not tell as many lies as the other party did

If the government is doomed it should be doomed at the ballot box, not at the hands of the generals. You make valid points about nepotism and separation of powers, but the overturning of an elected government, however disliked by some, with a military coup to preserve the generals grip on the levers of power is I believe a greater wrong. This government should fall at the hands of the electors who put it in, not before the tanks of the people who failed to win the last election.

Its time you woke up and took a look at the world

Corrupt government being taken over by the people. (the army is made up of people)

Loathing nepotism and despising wannabe tyrants that undermine democratic institutions is NOT the same thing as "looking forward to a coup". You are putting words in other people's mouths here. Do you seriously think it is acceptable in a democracy to appoint relatives to high level government positions? Is this, in your view, "democratic"? Would you say this is "good governance"? Ever heard of the separation of powers?

Democracy cannot exist without rule of law, and ultimately both are social contracts. If you break the rules nobody else is going to keep their part of the bargain, which means your'e back to "he with the most guns wins". These guys are playing Russian roulette, and every check they undermine by appointing a relative to oversee it is another bullet in the gun.

The government is doomed. I'm saying it's their own stupid fault for undermining the legitimate checks and balances on their power. This is not "pro coup", it's an "anti-tyrant" and "to hell with corruption" view. I hope that clarifies things.

Very good post Crushdepth and just about sums the whole thing up. I can hear them cleaning their rifles already. The Pm (I mean the one with the skirt) has been totally inactive in providing assistance during the floods in the North, for the people that elected her. Rule number one don't ever under estimate the electorate.

Actually not at all. Not even remotely, but reading the writing on the wall. This is the horror of the 900 lb gorilla in the corner getting hungrier and hungrier.

Sadly certain parties have clearly not learned moderation or anything even remotely like it. A acidic combination of greed, badly concealed revenge, and mismanagement, is corroding the nation before our very eyes. If it can be clearly seen by so many of us, then we can't be alone in having increasing fears for the future.

Edited by animatic

It sounds wonderful in theory and is workable in most places on this earth. Sadly it is running up against severe obstacles in Thailand at present, and what is scariest is the accelerating pace beyond just political repositioning.

I want Thailand to have a workable democracy,

where all persons get a say and those they elect

DO WHAT THEY ARE EXPECTED TO DO FOR THE COUNTRY.

Not what's best for their clan and cronies.

This last is what's broken here.

Edited by animatic

Well, it sounds like everything is going according to plan:

1. PM Yingluck - check

2. Pojemon's brother in charge of police - check

3. Chaiyasit Shinawatra in charge of the army - in progress

4. Brother-in-law and ex-PM Somchai as head of the Supreme Court - in progress

5. Triumphant return - TBA

Looking good so far.

For heaven's sake someone go out and buy PTP a new box of toy soldiers and some yellow submarines.

You forgot the helicopters (or are they the same as submarines)??? I think they had better be "red" submarines as well, as yellow is not acceptable!!:lol:

:lol: Now that is what I thought as soon as I saw red "Yellow Submarines".

Edited by Mosha