PAD All Set To Fight Thaksin's Return

webfact

PAD all set to fight Thaksin's return

The Nation

The yellow-shirt movement yesterday threatened to take to the streets again if the government continues trying to get fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra a royal pardon.

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has said that it will stage a rally if the Pheu Thai Party-led government amends the law to pave the way for Thaksin to be granted amnesty, PAD spokesman Panthep Puapongpan said yesterday.

He added that the PAD was also against a campaign launched by a group of legal scholars called "Nitirat" (Citizens of Law) calling for all judicial decisions resulting from the 2006 coup to be invalidated. The yellow shirts are convinced that this move is aimed at expunging the Supreme Court verdict against Thaksin, the spokesman added.

In October 2008, the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders sentenced Thaksin to two years in prison for abuse of power related to his wife's purchase of a coveted state-owned plot at a price that was much lower than market value. Thaksin, who left the country shortly before the verdict was handed down, said the ruling was politically motivated and has been on a self-imposed exile since.

The PAD yesterday also issued a statement calling on the government to provide fair compensation to yellow-shirt protesters injured or killed during the police crackdown on the PAD rally four years ago.

On October 7, 2007, PAD protesters rallying against the government of Thaksin's brother-in-law, Somchai Wongsawat, clashed with police officers, which left two yellow shirts dead and many others injured due to defective teargas canisters.

The PAD spokesman said yesterday that in reality 10 people had been killed during the crackdown and more than 1,000 injured, with seven losing their limbs due to the teargas explosion.

He said the compensation should be comparable to the amount being paid for the red-shirt protesters killed or injured during the crackdown on the red-shirt rally.

PAD leaders, including Sondhi Limthongkul, Chamlong Srimuang, Phipob Thongchai and Somkiat Pongpaiboon, joined other yellow-shirt supporters at the Royal Plaza yesterday morning to give alms to monks to commemorate the fourth anniversary of the 2007 crackdown.

Panthep told the crowd yesterday that the PAD was afraid the Constitution would be changed to allow the return of "Thaksin's authoritarian regime".

The statement also backed the Opposition party's move to seek an impeachment of the attorney-general for deciding not to appeal against the recent Appeals Court verdict that overturned a lower court's ruling on a tax-evasion case against Thaksin's ex-wife Pojaman Damapong na Pombejra, her brother Bannapot Damapong and secretary Kanachanapa Honghern.

Meanwhile, opposition Democrat MP Wiratana Kalayasiri said yesterday that the party would give the Office of the Attorney-General until Tuesday to provide it with copies of documents that public prosecutors used to make their no-appeal decision.

Wiratana, who is a member of the Democrats' working group on legal affairs, said if the Attorney-General's office fails to meet the deadline, opposition politicians would have to seek access to the documents by invoking the Official Information Act. He said the case was under widespread social attention and could affect judicial proceedings in the future.

In a related development, Ombudsman Pramote Chotemongkol said yesterday that his office has informed Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra that it had agreed to launch an investigation against her for possible conflict of interest and violation of the code of ethics.

A group of Democrat MPs recently asked the Ombudsman's Office to determine if the prime minister had violated the code of ethics or was involved in conflict of interest in relation to her government's policy to offer subsidies to first-time home buyers. The opposition MPs also pointed that the prime minister's family runs a real-estate business.

Pramote said yesterday that Yingluck had been informed in writing to provide her explanation to the Ombudsman's Office as soon as possible. "But we have not set a timeframe because we are aware that she is busy tackling the flooding, which is a big problem at present," he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-08

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least they are not threatening to burn BKK down if they dont get their own way....

Not yet. They resorted to extreme measures with the support of the mainstream military the last time they staged major protests. What will they do if they don't get such support this time?

Great, it's obvious that they don't give two hoots about the country, just their own interests. I'm in favor of them being arrested and put directly in jail if they disturb the peace... any 'shirt' color that protests should be jailed. This is not helping Thailand. If you want to battle, do it in court!

The only thing I care about is whether or not they plan on shutting down the airport again. When it's time to act like children it would be best to know what transportation infrastructure will be affected.

Better to act like children than bombers and grenaders and arsonists and looters.

Edited by Buchholz

The only thing I care about is whether or not they plan on shutting down the airport again. When it's time to act like children it would be best to know what transportation infrastructure will be affected.

Better to act like children than bombers and grenaders and arsonists and looters.

Both parties contain terrible people who are largely pawns for the rich and powerful. I don't care one wit about the politics involved only how it affects my own well being.

Both parties contain terrible people who are largely pawns for the rich and powerful. I don't care one wit about the politics involved only how it affects my own well being.

The politics of both sides do affect everyone's well being.

In a related development, Ombudsman Pramote Chotemongkol said yesterday that his office has informed Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra that it had agreed to launch an investigation against her for possible conflict of interest and violation of the code of ethics.

It's good to see old school-style conflict of interest gets looked at. 5 Billion Baht's worth.

from the Tax Deductions For Up To Bt500.000: First Time Home Buyers thread:

Interesting development on the home buyer scheme with the increase in the limit for mortgages to 5 million baht from 2 million earlier.

SC Asset (the Shinawatra company that Yingluck just left and now run by Thaksin's daughter other sister) has 1,700 houses that are now eligible for the scheme.

The potential increase to their real estate business comes to 5.1 Billion Baht.

Score another for the rural poor.

They'll get a tax break when they buy a 5 million baht villa.

rah rah rah

Now it's ten dead from that protest? :blink:

I suppose a few may have keeled over from old age since then.

It would keep them closer to their stated goal (according to some candid remarks in one of the US Embassy leaked memos) of having at least one or two dozen Yellow Shirts killed by the then PPP government as means of bringing them down. The twisted f***ers.

I hope they keep it civil this time, and also that their opponents don't reach for their grenades again.

Well at least they are not threatening to burn BKK down if they dont get their own way....

Not yet. They resorted to extreme measures with the support of the mainstream military the last time they staged major protests. What will they do if they don't get such support this time?

Thank God someone is doing something....

Great, it's obvious that they don't give two hoots about the country, just their own interests. I'm in favor of them being arrested and put directly in jail if they disturb the peace... any 'shirt' color that protests should be jailed. This is not helping Thailand. If you want to battle, do it in court!

Have you not seen..... the judical system has been bought.... look at the case of Thaksins ex wife.... bought and paid for... going to the streets is the Only way...

Correction, it affects Thai people's well being. If you're an expat chances are you won't be affected and if things really go to hell you can always take the next flight out. If you married a Thai and have kids well then it sucks to be you.

So your saying that protesting about pt trying to find devious ways to get thaksin ( a convicted man facing many more charges ) back is 'not giving two hoots' about the country.

And how is this 'not helping the country'?

Perhaps you don't believe in freedom of speech and freedom to protest (within limits of course).

Edited by scorecard

Perhaps you don't believe in freedom of speech and freedom to protest (within limits of course).

There is no such thing as freedom of speech or political freedom in Thailand. This political game is a farce conducted by the elite who are just trying to monopolize power on each side. Both sides want basically the same thing..to control everything in the country.

That's just your opinion, and I don't agree and that's just my opinion.

Last time the PAD had a mass protest at the airport (which long-term damaged their credibility, in my opinion), however I strongly supported their original cause. As said, at least they didn't deliberately burn down numerous high profile buildings.

It seems that PAD has now morphed into something quite different. But if they did start a protest specifically against dubious actions to try to whitewash thaksin there is the possibility their numbers would swell, IMHO.

You know what else might have prevented Thaksin's return? Not organizing a massive vote no campaign during the last election allowing his sister to win.

Hold up foot shoot, repeat.

Well this announcement is here for October as expected.

You know what else might have prevented Thaksin's return? Not organizing a massive vote no campaign during the last election allowing his sister to win.

Hold up foot shoot, repeat.

Well this announcement is here for October as expected.

I don't think any serious source has suggested that the PAD campaign to abstain from voting had any effect one way or the other on the result.

All my vehemently anti Thaksin friends saw it as their duty to go out and vote Democrat.

Correction, it affects Thai people's well being. If you're an expat chances are you won't be affected and if things really go to hell you can always take the next flight out. If you married a Thai and have kids well then it sucks to be you.

I think bombs going off and buildings burning down would affect anyone in the vicinity, irregardless of nationality.

Anyone with the financial resources can leave, again, irregardless of nationality or family situation.

Edited by Buchholz

I think bombs going off and buildings burning down would affect anyone in the vicinity, irregardless of nationality.

Anyone with the financial resources can leave, again, irregardless of nationality or family situation.

Thailand has an excessive number of malls so if a few burn down then it's no big deal. Plus the MRT and Skytrain is a nice way to avoid burning buses and red bull molotovs. When the sh*t storm hit its nadir no one I know was affected in the least unless you wanted to be in the epicenter for whatever deranged reason.

I don't think any serious source has suggested that the PAD campaign to abstain from voting had any effect one way or the other on the result.

All my vehemently anti Thaksin friends saw it as their duty to go out and vote Democrat.

Over 3 million fewer valid votes than in 2007, it was probably the deciding factor in allowing PTP to get over 50% of seats. Many of their seats were extremely narrow victories.

You have to wonder if PAD didn't actually want Thaksin back, so that they'd be relevant again.

Thailand has an excessive number of malls so if a few burn down then it's no big deal. Plus the MRT and Skytrain is a nice way to avoid burning buses and red bull molotovs. When the sh*t storm hit its nadir no one I know was affected in the least unless you wanted to be in the epicenter for whatever deranged reason.

Using the Skytrain is good for avoiding burning buses, not so good when they start launching grenades at it like in 2010

Using the Skytrain is good for avoiding burning buses, not so good when they start launching grenades at it like in 2010

I used the boat or the MRT at that time. There's always a way around it. Like I said some people just want to be "involved" in the political nonsense because they want a bit of drama in their lives. Both sides are completely repulsive. This pro and anti Thaksin stuff is nonsense. They are all bad people. Every. single. one. of. them.

If they want to burn their city down, I say let them. The only thing that bothered me is the airport fiasco but I was able to reschedule at least.

Over 3 million fewer valid votes than in 2007, it was probably the deciding factor in allowing PTP to get over 50% of seats. Many of their seats were extremely narrow victories.

You have to wonder if PAD didn't actually want Thaksin back, so that they'd be relevant again.

There were major registration difficulties which account for the lower vote.

The PAD campaign was not material to this.Most observers believe that the registration problem worked to the Democrats' advantage, particularly in Bangkok (though I don't see anything sinister or untoward here, just muddle)

I understand the point you are trying to make but it seems unsubstantiated.If you can come up with any credible commentator's analysis supporting your claim I should be interested to see it.

i was directly below the BTS in silom when the grenade hit the roof...

As i was driving directly towards the Red shirt camp at that exact moment

It was pandemonium

After that i saw reds pulling taxi drivers out of cabs and beating the hell out of anyone - we were lucky to run the red light and get away.

It was a sick time for Thailand - But i feel the same is coming this way again very soon...

Thank goodness the floods are keeping them all preoccupied with themselves instead of at each others throats...

I used the boat or the MRT at that time. There's always a way around it. Like I said some people just want to be "involved" in the political nonsense because they want a bit of drama in their lives. Both sides are completely repulsive. This pro and anti Thaksin stuff is nonsense. They are all bad people. Every. single. one. of. them.

If they want to burn their city down, I say let them. The only thing that bothered me is the airport fiasco but I was able to reschedule at least.

No empathy towards other people, have you? Why care about anything as long as it doesn't affect you? You must be a really nice person....not.