Water-Proof Bag For Dslr

I live in Chiang Mai and will be traveling to do some snorkeling. I have a Nikon Coolpix P100 and want to find a clear water-proof bag so I can snorkel with it. Does anyone know if I can find one in CM? I've looked a few stores in the malls (mostly outdoor/camping and sport stores) but no luck.

Thanks,

James

I have a couple of waterproof housings for the coolpix. Not sure which model but the cameras are long gone. I will see if I can dig them out and check. You are better off with a housing as the bags tend to blur the pictures.

Here on Samui I can get a 12 megapixel camera with a housing rated to 40 metres for around the 7000 baht mark. not a brand name but takes cracking pictures for the price. I just picked up the latest Panasonic Lumix. Waterproof to 12 metres without a housing, has a depth gauge and altimeter and has GPS as well. It also takes full HD movies as well. All for 12,500 baht up in BKK

Hi Paths...According to this website, there's no housing for this camera model.

http://www.digideep.com/english/digital/photo/camera/Nikon/Coolpix-P100/25/4016

There are bags for them though...but in my opinion because water damage through leaks is often an issue - & electronics' worst nightmare is salt water, you might want to think about using a compact camera instead which also there are bags & housing for...Most digital camera's i've seen get overly wet simple RIP afterwards.

Another option is to get a waterproof camera for snorkeling (up to about 6meters)...There's at least half a dozen models on the market already...& if you decide to take on diving later, a housing for it can be purchased for it too.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions...

Cheers,

Alex

So, I spent a few hours roaming the camera shops around Old City, Pantip, and Chang Puak market.... Photo Bug, Big Camera, Pantip Camera (or something like that), and a few other places. Not even close to having luck. In another post from someone else, they mentioned Big Photo somewhere around Amora Thapae but I could not find it. Is it inside the moat or outside? I asked several people and the just sent me on various wild goose chases.

I do have an older Nicon Coolpix point and shoot pocket camera. Does quite well. I was hoping I could at least find something small for it. I may have to wait until Songkran.

Any other suggestions or specific shop locations would be helpful. Otherwise, I may need to hope for something in a dive shop at my destination (Borneo).

Thanks Folks!

A friend of mine has been researching this lately and reckons the Nikon AW100 is the way to go if you don't want to spend too much, but want decent quality.

The bags mostly look scary unless you go for a Ewa Marine, but they are more than the AW100.

I am using a Lumix GF1 in a 10Bar housing, but that's a lot more.

My problem is I'm leaving for Borneo in 3 days. :( My bad for waiting. I had no idea finding a waterproof camera bag would be so difficult. I may have resolve this in Borneo. It's a diving and snorkeling destination, so "I'm sure I'll be fine once I get there." :unsure:

Famous last words.

I'll try Airport Plaza before I go. That will be my last attempt before I leave. Thanks everyone for your help. :jap:

Too late to help the OP but I think the best choice for most snorkling is either the Lumix waterproof or the Canon waterproof point and shoot cameras. I would NEVER trust a plastic bag with any expensive SLR camera. I've been taking underwater photos for years and still have my old Nikonos film camera. When the first digital point and shoot cameras came out I bought case for my little Pentax. It did okay but a year later they came out with waterproof cameras (Pentax W10) and made my waterproof housing redundant. A waterproof housing for a large SLR (pick a make or model) will cost more than double what a little waterproof camera costs. And, unless you are a professional who sells his pictures, the results won't be that much better.

And, unless you are a professional who sells his pictures, the results won't be that much better.

Actually... you may be able to help. I'm not so well versed in photography. My Nikon P100 has some nice color correction features (like adjusting for light source) that exceed the limited selection on my point and click. My hope was those corrections might help create color correct underwater photos. Am I mistaken?

If the color quality would be enhanced only marginally, I may just look for a simple waterproof bag for my little point and click Nikon (which still takes incredible photos). If I lose that camera due to leakage, it would MUCH less painful.

THANKS!

And, unless you are a professional who sells his pictures, the results won't be that much better.

Actually... you may be able to help. I'm not so well versed in photography. My Nikon P100 has some nice color correction features (like adjusting for light source) that exceed the limited selection on my point and click. My hope was those corrections might help create color correct underwater photos. Am I mistaken?

If the color quality would be enhanced only marginally, I may just look for a simple waterproof bag for my little point and click Nikon (which still takes incredible photos). If I lose that camera due to leakage, it would MUCH less painful.

THANKS!

As in most photography, you can "adjust" the picture later in Adobe Photoshop or similar art programs. However, I don't believe the P100 allows you to shoot in RAW, but only in jpg format. That limits the amount you can change the picture later. However, from what I hear, the P100 has excellent light gathering abilities. The more light you have the better your pictures are likely to be. Under water you lose about 40% of your available light and you can seldom use anything but a wide angle lens because of it. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an under water housing of any kind for the P100. At one time, I used to have a heavy duty plastic bag that sealed to a glass lens, and it was good for down to at least 20 feet in depth. But, it took about 10 minutes to get the camera into the bag and the seal clamped on tight. Unfortunately, like most soft plastics it eventually deteriorated to a point where it started to crack and become useless. I haven't seen another like it since. The under water housing for my Nikon D200 cost more than any of the better point and shoot cameras.

The big problem with taking photos of fish is that they are constantly moving and all point and shoot cameras won't fire until they are focused properly. With a true SLR you can force the camera to shoot. What I've done is guess the distance the fish is from the camera and pre-set the camera focus manually. Then it's just a matter of keep shooting and hope for a little luck.

These photos were taken of moving fish with my waterproof Pentax W30 point and shoot. As you can see they are only so-so.

Reef_fish_1_001.jpg

Congor_Eel_1.jpg

Reef_fish_7.jpg

By contrast you can see the difference with these taken by the Nikon D200 in an underwater housing built for the camera.

Marine_fish_1.jpg

Orange_lined_Triggerfish.jpg

However, the little Pentax does alright if I'm in shallow water and the fish are stationary, or moving slowly enough for the camera to focus..

Sea_run_cutthroat_3.jpg

Sea_run_cutthroat_6.jpg

Cutthroat_under_water_1.jpg

The Lumex and the Canon are both better than the Pentax under water and work better with lower light. The Pentax has a better close up feature.