No Claims Bonus Transfer

The Bangkok Ins Co have told my wife that her 6 year NCB of 50% discount (earned on her 2005 Vigo 4x4 with 1st Class cover restricted to 2 named drivers and voluntary 5k excess) cannot be transferred to a new Policy in the event of her buying a replacement vehicle, unless that is also a 2 door pickup and is second hand.

Her NCB discount (50%) will be lost:

1. If she buys a different type of vehicle like a saloon or SUV - new or second hand, or

2. If she buys a brand new red plate 2 door pickup, or

3. If she buys a 4 door pickup new or second hand

I know the way insurance works here is not the same as in the west in many respects, but this is a new one for me!

Is this just a Bangkok Ins quirk, or do all Thai Ins Co’s operate like this?

Edited by Riley'sLife

Bit of a bit Faulty Towers !! Sorry but your confusing me.:blink:

her 2005 Vigo 4x4

cannot be transferred to a new Policy in the event of her buying a replacement vehicle, unless that is also a 2 door pickup and is second hand.

Contradictory I think but then again I'm from Barcelona. :D

Edited by Kwasaki

I"ve had several cars, also different insurance companies, each time my NCB has been transferred to the new vehicle.Sounds like BS to me. Tell them you will leave for a new company and see how quickly they change their minds!;)

NCBs in the West usually go with the driver; here they go with the vehicle. There's some logic to both:

Why should you get a 50% NCB on a new Ferrari just because you haven't had an accident in your Mira, as you could do in the UK?

On the other hand, why should someone else get a NCB who buys your car just because you've been a good driver, as you can do here?

Like KBB, I've never heard of NCBs being transferred with a driver here so I'm surprised that BIC offered to transfer any NCB at all or that Royale has always been able to transfer his NCB. What I have come across, though, are discounts being described as NCBs by some brokers which can be misleading.

1. If she buys a different type of vehicle like a saloon or SUV - new or second hand, or

These reules sound very odd - it appears what they're really saying is, she can only keep her NCB if she buys a used 2-door pickup?

I too have never heard of NCB being transferrable in Thailand. Even just swithcing insurers on the same car is enough to lose it..

All sounds a bit Fishey to me.

+1

When I bought my first car in Thailand Axa insurance asked me a document from my european insurance cy prooving I had 50% NCB discount.

Axa applied a 50% NCB discount following the receipt of the document

When I changed my insurance cy some years later,the thai insurance cy did the same ECB transfer without problem

My advice:see an another insurance cy

• 3 months later...