1,000 Boats To Push Flood Waters From Chao Phraya River

george

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you are an expert at plumbing but the Darcy-Weisbach formula is all about liquid flow in a pipe. Do you know the difference between a pipe and a river? Please explain why you are using Darcy-Weisbach which is inappropriate to river flow. By the way, it is Google not goggles.

My mom's name is Darcy, I didn't know she was a fluid mechanic whiz. And who is this Weisbach guy? Was she messing around with him in some formulated sort of way? Did they do their experiments in a bubble bath? Are there any groupies for fluid mechanic experts? If so, I wanna get a diploma (for fluid mechanics, not Groupie Sciences).

Sorry for so many questions, am just curious.

Interesting though, that with all the posts in this thread, I don't think one agrees that the boat-pushing-water-faster thing works as planned. Are those 1,000 motors still revving at full throttle? Have any bridges been shifted off their footings? Is it too late to invest in PTT?

Free beer for everyone at ThaiVIsa, and whiskey for the horses!

Since the Darcy-Weisbach formula describes the motion of a fluid moving through a pipe under pressure, I think we can safely guess what your Ma and professor Weisbach were up to when inspiration struck !

Edited by Spalpeen

What about it? Says the man who claims he was standing directly behind a 767 Jet engine at full throttle and only 180 meters and hardly felt anything! :cheesy: Once you argued that point I realized you were clueless and lost all credibility so your posts have fallen on blind eyes since then, as being nothing more then nonsensical.. I noticed it's eating you up too, the conversation is going on right around you :lol: . Kind of like that invisible jet wash..

My underlining, here you are just plain making things up, let's see what I actually said:

Indeed, I've actually stood 200 meters or so behind an airliner taking off and although the wind and heat are awesome I wasn't blown away.

Awesome> Definition: Extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration, apprehension, or fear.

Yet you turn that into "hardly felt anything!"

Anyway, how about you substantiate your assertion about the Earth's rotation pulling rivers towards the equator? Let's see what that does to your credibility.

The crux of it is that you can't even figure out that you weren't standing directly behind the engine in the jet wash you had to be on the peripheral.. If you were, the end result would be obvious..

How about you substantiate this :jerk: ? You're not worth my time or the effort required..

You must get the statement from goggles. Let me continue. Such loss can be expressed using Darcy-Weisbach equation

Delta H = fLV^2/(2gD).

FYI, I used to give lectures to Bachelor Degree students in this subject.

Maybe you are an expert at plumbing but the Darcy-Weisbach formula is all about liquid flow in a pipe. Do you know the difference between a pipe and a river? Please explain why you are using Darcy-Weisbach which is inappropriate to river flow. By the way, it is Google not goggles.

Thank you mate. Anyway you just came to know about this equation lately right? FYI, there is similar formula for surface water flow that is called Manning equation. ...

ResX you seem to have memorized lots of equations but clearly don't understand which ones apply to the physical situation at hand. It's also becoming clear why you are too embarrassed to name the university where you are allowed to teach.

Personally I don't see what business it is of yours? If you can discredit his equations, models and formula's do so here without an attempt to belittle him for discussing them. It is really irrelevant where or even IF he teaches or taught anywhere, a lot of experts past and present don't teach or aren't even formally educated. Your post is pompous and defensive because you don't have a legitimate counter point to his so you're trying to deflect from your inability to do so.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I have had a lot of fun jousting on this thread but there are a few things I want to emphasize before signing off.

The construction of a flood bypass canal running through the central planes is a necessity to control floods in the future. This should be a dry channel in the off flood periods for usage and repair. It will cost money but not nearly as much as the current reality.

God bless all those that are suffering and let those in control take effective action so it will not happen again.

It is a slight diversion but I promise for your own good. Not mine

I started to join this forum since I was trying to tell Thailand average citizens that your Critical Success Factor (CSF) to deal with future flood events lies on the Bhumibol & Sirkit dams. Somehow I landed here. I hate to mitigate flood. My expert area is control the sources via flood control reservoirs.

I have been to these two dams about 10 years ago. During my visit I was presented by the dams engineers about how they operate the Bhumibol & Sirkit dams. During that time, I was already an expert in the operations of flood control dams in particular in power generation and flood control dams. So I was able to judge how good your flood control strategy being adopted that time. My judgement was it was clear that the two dams had the element of flood control associated with their SOPs. It was clear initiative by the dams managements to bring down the dams water levels prior to flood seasons. Every year. Without miss. As I could see from their presentations. Unless they lied to us.

Thing has changed lately about the way the two dams were operated. I don't know why. But the way the Bhumibol dam was operated just before the flood season for this year is unthinkable. You can check it yourselves that the reservoir had almost reached to its maximum storage capacity by 1st Oct 11. That is why the dam had to release a lot of water during heavy rainfall prior to this flood event. I have written a lot about this issue in the other thread. I don't want to repeat it again. One thing I want to conclude is if your government does not regulate the major dams operations the you will face the same problem again in future.

At least for this year flood event, the Bhumibol & Sirkit dams were not be beaten by odd alone.

The only thing I'd like to clear up about this Res is that most here on this forum are not Thais they're foreigners of one sort or another it's almost certain that at least a few are not even from this planet nor dimension based on the nonsensical posts they make.. You've probably a good idea for yourself who those members may be..

Thaddeus: QOPF Update (quality-of-posts factor) = 1 / (posts per day) * IQ * 100 / (percent-alcohol-bloodstream (where > 0, otherwise = 1))

At least someone else besides rubi, longway and me is running some numbers on something! Care to disclose the values that you plugged-in for our amusement?

:(

It would seem that this thread is becoming a bit pedantic, with posters using modeling equations. I myself am a bit more of a seat of the pants kind of guy . So here is what I suggest. Step away from the keyboard, and go down to the Chao Phraya riverbank in Bangkok. Then after seeing the massive scope of the river, and the rapid rate it is flowing at, ask yourself if a few tour boats at anchor in the river, with their engines slightly above idle, are going to make the slightest bit of difference.......

Modeling is an option. If you have better way let us share.

My mom's name is Darcy, I didn't know she was a fluid mechanic whiz. And who is this Weisbach guy? Was she messing around with him in some formulated sort of way? Did they do their experiments in a bubble bath? Are there any groupies for fluid mechanic experts? If so, I wanna get a diploma (for fluid mechanics, not Groupie Sciences).

Interesting though, that with all the posts in this thread, I don't think one agrees that the boat-pushing-water-faster thing works as planned. Are those 1,000 motors still revving at full throttle? Have any bridges been shifted off their footings? Is it too late to invest in PTT?

Since the Darcy-Weisbach formula describes the motion of a fluid moving through a pipe under pressure, I think we can safely guess what your Ma and professor Weisbach were up to when inspiration struck !

I don't know which Darcy Weisbach formula that you are referring to. What I'm referring to is the equation that describes head loss due to friction Free surface water flow usually using Manning equation. It came later. It is another version of Darcy Weisbach as far as friction factor is concern. There is direct relationship Manning friction factor and Darcy Weisbach friction factor.

Motion of fluids in in pipe under pressure can be best explained by Bernoulli continuity equation in which Darcy-Weisbach will make up one of the factors.

I have had a lot of fun jousting on this thread but there are a few things I want to emphasize before signing off.

The construction of a flood bypass canal running through the central planes is a necessity to control floods in the future. This should be a dry channel in the off flood periods for usage and repair. It will cost money but not nearly as much as the current reality.

God bless all those that are suffering and let those in control take effective action so it will not happen again.

It is a slight diversion but I promise for your own good. Not mine

I started to join this forum since I was trying to tell Thailand average citizens that your Critical Success Factor (CSF) to deal with future flood events lies on the Bhumibol & Sirkit dams. Somehow I landed here. I hate to mitigate flood. My expert area is control the sources via flood control reservoirs.

I have been to these two dams about 10 years ago. During my visit I was presented by the dams engineers about how they operate the Bhumibol & Sirkit dams. During that time, I was already an expert in the operations of flood control dams in particular in power generation and flood control dams. So I was able to judge how good your flood control strategy being adopted that time. My judgement was it was clear that the two dams had the element of flood control associated with their SOPs. It was clear initiative by the dams managements to bring down the dams water levels prior to flood seasons. Every year. Without miss. As I could see from their presentations. Unless they lied to us.

Thing has changed lately about the way the two dams were operated. I don't know why. But the way the Bhumibol dam was operated just before the flood season for this year is unthinkable. You can check it yourselves that the reservoir had almost reached to its maximum storage capacity by 1st Oct 11. That is why the dam had to release a lot of water during heavy rainfall prior to this flood event. I have written a lot about this issue in the other thread. I don't want to repeat it again. One thing I want to conclude is if your government does not regulate the major dams operations the you will face the same problem again in future.

At least for this year flood event, the Bhumibol & Sirkit dams were not be beaten by odd alone.

The only thing I'd like to clear up about this Res is that most here on this forum are not Thais they're foreigners of one sort or another it's almost certain that at least a few are not even from this planet nor dimension based on the nonsensical posts they make.. You've probably a good idea for yourself who those members may be..

I think I know it. I thought most of them at least stay in Thailand. Otherwise why ridicule the local initiatives without even know what is going on there? At least prove that it did not work first.

Edited by ResX

What about it? Says the man who claims he was standing directly behind a 767 Jet engine at full throttle and only 180 meters and hardly felt anything! :cheesy: Once you argued that point I realized you were clueless and lost all credibility so your posts have fallen on blind eyes since then, as being nothing more then nonsensical.. I noticed it's eating you up too, the conversation is going on right around you :lol: . Kind of like that invisible jet wash..

My underlining, here you are just plain making things up, let's see what I actually said:

Indeed, I've actually stood 200 meters or so behind an airliner taking off and although the wind and heat are awesome I wasn't blown away.

Awesome> Definition: Extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration, apprehension, or fear.

Anyway, how about you substantiate your assertion about the Earth's rotation pulling rivers towards the equator? Let's see what that does to your credibility.

The crux of it is that you can't even figure out that you weren't standing directly behind the engine in the jet wash you had to be on the peripheral.. If you were, the end result would be obvious..

How about you substantiate this :jerk: ? You're not worth my time or the effort required..

Your posts are full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Anyway, how about you substantiate your assertion about the Earth's rotation pulling rivers towards the equator? Let's see what that does to your credibility

Your posts are full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

@above poster AleG,Warpspeed

Couple of days ago - one pilot was blown out of staircase by another aircraft taxing nearby - broken bones,but alive;Qantas?

Couple of years ago one mechanic was sucked into jet engine - poor soul,RIP!

They are very powerfull these turbo jet engines!

In order to help out those 1,000 boats .....

I think we need the Thai Airways planes flying in circles over Bangkok and one by one swooping down over the Chaopraya blowing the exhaust from their engines (jet wash) onto the Chaopraya thus speeding up the flow .....

Where is the science and Aviation Minister when we need him?

If this masterplan of the Thai Government works why don't they turn the boats round in times of drought so that lands could be adequately irrigated? Just asking :D

Get the concept right. Can you push a bus uphill? I think you can push it downhill. You can even accelerate it. If we have two identical buses racing down a slope one being push and the other one slides down naturally, which one will win the race?

If this masterplan of the Thai Government works why don't they turn the boats round in times of drought so that lands could be adequately irrigated? Just asking :D

Get the concept right. Can you push a bus uphill? I think you can push it downhill. You can even accelerate it. If we have two identical buses racing down a slope one being push and the other one slides down naturally, which one will win the race?

Yes ... and when they want it to flow normally .... they have half the boats heading upstream and the other half heading downstream.

:jap:

It is you who is unclear on the very concept if you think that is in any way analogous to the problem at hand. An open body of water locally pushed uphill, across the surface of a lake or down a river will only result in localized circular flow and heat.

It is you who is unclear on the very concept if you think that is in any way analogous to the problem at hand. An open body of water locally pushed uphill, across the surface of a lake or down a river will only result in localized circular flow and heat.

we want maximum circular flow and heat along with deep thrusting action in order to achieve maximum stimulation ! :jap:

As one who has had his fair share of confrontational posts with ResX I wish to elect him as the poster with the most astute appraisal of the current disaster.

I started to join this forum to deal with future flood events lies on the Bhumibol & Sirkit dams. Somehow I landed here. I hate to mitigate flood. My expert area is control the sources via flood control reservoirs.

I have been to these two dams about 10 years ago. During my visit I was presented by the dams engineers about how they operate the Bhumibol & Sirkit dams. During that time, I was already an expert in the operations of flood control dams in particular in power generation and flood control dams. My judgement was it was clear that the two dams had the element of flood control associated with their SOPs. It was clear initiative by the dams managements to bring down the dams water levels prior to flood seasons. Every year. Without miss. As I could see from their presentations. Unless they lied to us.

If the government is going to use the dams as flood mitigation they can not use the dams for drought mitigation.

If they want both they need to build twice as many dams.

ResX, I always listen to what you say and though I do not agree with a lot of it you have really nailed it with this post.

I don't know which Darcy Weisbach formula that you are referring to. What I'm referring to is the equation that describes head loss due to friction Free surface water flow usually using Manning equation. It came later. It is another version of Darcy Weisbach as far as friction factor is concern. There is direct relationship Manning friction factor and Darcy Weisbach friction factor.

Motion of fluids in in pipe under pressure can be best explained by Bernoulli continuity equation in which Darcy-Weisbach will make up one of the factors.

Now wait a doggone second here, you're talking about an equation that includes my mom's name (Darcy). Then you go on to talk about the Manning friction factor and the Darcy Weisbach friction factor. And who is this guy Bernoulli with his continuity thing? Your painting a picture of lot of odd people in the sack together, with friction factors and fluids under pressure. I think it's time to put the Thai censors' checkerboard on this thread, it's getting as indecent as watching a 5 pixel cigarette burn on TV.

At least we are in agreement that it can be pushed. When the water in its way down it can be pushed. We are in agreement with this one I suppose. Now what's next? Upstream is higher than downstream. If we allow the water to make its natural choice, after being pushed, it shall travel down rather than up. As one of the poster was trying to suggest to push the water moving uphill will not work (I reserve my comment) Now you suggest the water will voluntarily recirculate back to higher pressure region without further elaboration. Note that recirculation means the water somehow has to travel backward towards high pressure region.

I didn't say you are wrong. You just need to elaborate further what is the mechanism that makes the water moves back to high pressure region. This is your argument anyway. Not mine.

Edited by ResX

Note that recirculation means the water somehow has to travel backward towards high pressure region.

I didn't say you are wrong. You just need to elaborate further what is the mechanism that makes the water moves back to high pressure region. This is your argument anyway. Not mine.

No ResX it "somehow" circulates from high pressure region back to the low pressure region and the mechanism that causes this has already been painfully elaborated in multiple previous posts on this thread by me and others.

As one who has had his fair share of confrontational posts with ResX I wish to elect him as the poster with the most astute appraisal of the current disaster.

I started to join this forum to deal with future flood events lies on the Bhumibol & Sirkit dams. Somehow I landed here. I hate to mitigate flood. My expert area is control the sources via flood control reservoirs.

I have been to these two dams about 10 years ago. During my visit I was presented by the dams engineers about how they operate the Bhumibol & Sirkit dams. During that time, I was already an expert in the operations of flood control dams in particular in power generation and flood control dams. My judgement was it was clear that the two dams had the element of flood control associated with their SOPs. It was clear initiative by the dams managements to bring down the dams water levels prior to flood seasons. Every year. Without miss. As I could see from their presentations. Unless they lied to us.

If the government is going to use the dams as flood mitigation they can not use the dams for drought mitigation.

ResX, I always listen to what you say and though I do not agree with a lot of it you have really nailed it with this post.

Noted. Whatever we say and we not say, nothing personal. We are free to disagree. Is your question for real? I don't want to talk about dam operations right here. My simple answer is the government does not have to have two types of dams. What it has to have is efficient water management.

Edited by ResX

Anyway, how about you substantiate your assertion about the Earth's rotation pulling rivers towards the equator? Let's see what that does to your credibility

Your posts are full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

@above poster AleG,Warpspeed

Couple of days ago - one pilot was blown out of staircase by another aircraft taxing nearby - broken bones,but alive;Qantas?

Couple of years ago one mechanic was sucked into jet engine - poor soul,RIP!

They are very powerfull these turbo jet engines!

Yes I'm aware of that this is my previous post in reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLyR6kuqfzU

Jet engine blows away truck

In spite of this unaltered video he still seems to think he's superman and can withstand such a jet wash at only 180meters when this truck was blown well past that distance and would have kept going had it not been for the water.

Sadly it's AleG who's having a bit of problem with the concept.. A fair bit as a matter of fact..

Noted. Whatever we say and we not say, nothing personal. We are free to disagree. Is your question for real? I don't want to talk about dam operations right here. My simple answer is the government does not have to have two types of dams. What it has to have is efficient water management.

There is no question ResX - in this matter I am agreeing with you 100%. Good Post!

35 pages of water movement experts and here we still are at no consensus. Maybe you should all come out of retirement and go work for that froc thingy lol

Too much logic and common sense applied they wouldn't hear of it..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Jet-wash at about 100 meters.

Yeah good thing for her she was hunched over with a concrete wall to support her, still she never got the full jet wash as the jet was immediately moving down the runway away from her so it never got to maximum throttle but it was still blowing considerably when it was nearly airborne even, which demonstrates just how much trust it was producing once it was at full throttle, which has always been the key, full throttle....

In order to help out those 1,000 boats .....

I think we need the Thai Airways planes flying in circles over Bangkok and one by one swooping down over the Chaopraya blowing the exhaust from their engines (jet wash) onto the Chaopraya thus speeding up the flow .....

Where is the science and Aviation Minister when we need him?

You're late, Max already beat you to it :P ..

Edited by WarpSpeed