Overcharging In Restaurant

gerryBScot

We ate out last night in a restaurant in Chumphon: whole steamed sea bass and a slice of salt fish;large bowl of rice; two small bottles of Pepsi and a small bottle of water. I was expecting to pay about 300b but we were charged 450b. This was a street front restaurant, plastic tables and chairs, nothing fancy and the food was, not surprisingly, poor. First time in three years in Thailand I have ever been served undercooked rice! I paid after protesting and meeting with the blank expression. This doesn't happen very often but it does happen. But what can you do in a situation like this? Excuse me if this is posted in wrong sub-forum.

It sounds like you think that you were "overcharged" because of what you felt the food was worth, rather than anything that you had read or were told. If that is the case, it is your problem, not the restaurants, but as others have said, don't go back.

Happens a bit, especially when they see a non thai, dont go back, they made a killing tonight but lost 2 customers, never look long term. I was over charged by 100 bts on a bill at a first visit to new place, g/f noticed and it was changed but we dont go back. Another calledd the riverboat or boat by the river on the 3005 here in Nakhon Sawan was interesting one. Girl comes to take the order and asks if we would like 3 bottles of Chang Draught for 99bts, ok and if I dont drink them all I can take them home? No problem. When the bill came the beers had suddenly gone to 199bts! The girl no where to be seen. We dont go back and when we pass its usually empty just dont look after the customers they have. Just dont go back anywhere you feel you have been done, put it down to experience and one day you might have the satisfaction of seeing a sign saying "CLOSED".

We ate out last night in a restaurant in Chumphon: whole steamed sea bass and a slice of salt fish;large bowl of rice; two small bottles of Pepsi and a small bottle of water. I was expecting to pay about 300b but we were charged 450b. This was a street front restaurant, plastic tables and chairs, nothing fancy and the food was, not surprisingly, poor. First time in three years in Thailand I have ever been served undercooked rice! I paid after protesting and meeting with the blank expression. This doesn't happen very often but it does happen. But what can you do in a situation like this? Excuse me if this is posted in wrong sub-forum.

300 sounds about right. My wife always asks the price if none is on display.

Question is: Was there a menue showing the prices? If not... you WILL be charged at least 50% more than the Thai will be charged... and many times add things to your bill that you did'nt have... like one more beer... it's a constant battle that I experienced many times (maybe 1 out of 5 Thai mom&pop restaurants try to cheat the farang...)

I never eat in any place that does not have the prices clearly shown and then they can't overcharge you... if they try, just correct the bill yourself and give them what the menue says...

And most of all... don't go back...

Question is: Was there a menue showing the prices? If not... you WILL be charged at least 50% more than the Thai will be charged... and many times add things to your bill that you did'nt have... like one more beer... it's a constant battle that I experienced many times (maybe 1 out of 5 Thai mom&pop restaurants try to cheat the farang...)

I am glad to be able to say I have never been subjected to pricing like that. But all over the world I have gotten wrong checks at the end of the dinner. I always check what is listed and the price and I always get a satisfactory answer for what I do not understand or the check is recalculated if they make a mistake. Sometimes I ask to see the menu when I am surprised and, sure enough, the price is there.

And the Mom & Pop stores? Never, ever have to question the bill.

I am glad to be able to say I have never been subjected to pricing like that. But all over the world I have gotten wrong checks at the end of the dinner. I always check what is listed and the price and I always get a satisfactory answer for what I do not understand or the check is recalculated if they make a mistake. Sometimes I ask to see the menu when I am surprised and, sure enough, the price is there.

And the Mom & Pop stores? Never, ever have to question the bill.

I'll go along with noise - never had any problems of overcharging in mom & pop restaurants, or anywhere else for that matter. This fella must eat in some dodgy places; and saying that farangs WILL be charged at least 50% more is rather a sweeping statement, considering the millions of food outlets in the country!

Thanks for the comments. I am glad to say this is the exception as opposed to the norm. And sure this happens everywhere in the world. Because I wasn't expecting it here I was caught a bit flat flooted. What would my position have been had I put down 300b and walked out?

Thanks for the comments. I am glad to say this is the exception as opposed to the norm. And sure this happens everywhere in the world. Because I wasn't expecting it here I was caught a bit flat flooted. What would my position have been had I put down 300b and walked out?

Why dont you answer the questions as to whether there was a menu with prices?

Years agoI was dinged in Pattaya for two crayfish. I think I was charged 1000 baht. But, I just chalked it up to an adventure and knowledge for the future. I just never returned there for a meal and told others not to as well. Sea food is often much more expensive than regular Thai food, but there is still a limit. I've seen the menus and it was clearly marked. When you walk everywhere like I do it's easy to see where the better deals are had. In Pattaya I see restaurant after restaurant with no customers. Then, like magic there will be one place teeming with customers and more standing waiting. The difference in value is obviously the only difference between a shop being full of people or empty.

Cha-Am: I felt sorry for the last foodstall in the street, so I chose that one to eat. I picked a dish, "no have" was her answer. She only had about 5 dishes that were coincedently the most expensive ones. I chose fish with lemon garlic. All I got was boiled fish, tough, with no taste and guess what? With tomato ketchup. "Lemon garlic, no have". It was so bad, I left it uneaten.

I felt weird about this, her husband was nice and her daughter was overly interested in me. I realised 'only' a few days later I was tricked. What I did? I walked back and as I passed her stall I gave her a very severe "I know what you did" look. The woman shied away and couldn't look in my eyes.

I don't believe in " just pay and don't come back" I think you should let them know that it was not OK. Either by giving them a hint verbally or otherwise.

So let me see if I have this straight.

You went to a restaurant (that may or may not have had menu prices) and ordered food that you expected to come to 300 Baht.

The bill came, it was 450 Baht and you paid it ?

I think most people with half a brain would have queried the bill.

If you paid without doing so, it has to be a case of som nom nar.

when eating out even at small roadside thai eateries i allways let my wife do the ordering and asking, she allways checks the bill and we rarely leave a tip, biggest tip i ever left was around 20 thb. i do not tip in uk so why should i tip in los ? if i was short of 20 thb then would the resturaunt let me off with it ? i dont think so.

when eating out even at small roadside thai eateries i allways let my wife do the ordering and asking, she allways checks the bill and we rarely leave a tip, biggest tip i ever left was around 20 thb. i do not tip in uk so why should i tip in los ? if i was short of 20 thb then would the resturaunt let me off with it ? i dont think so.

What does leaving at tip have to do with the OP's claim he was overcharged ?

If it was priced as 300 baht and you paid 450 baht then you have been over charged. If as I think the case may be you just thought it was going to cost around 300 baht when in fact they charge for the fish by the kilo or that is plainly the price then you simply went to the wrong restaurant in Chumphon. I lived there for a while and it has some of the best restaurants I have eaten in and have never been overcharged there before.

If the price isnt listed then I always ask what it is before ordering.

That said, I also have a tendency to walk straight past shops/restaurants/vendors who dont put the prices on things, and am much more likely to frequent a place that has proper prices on display.

That even applies to noodle vendors; a general sign saying 30 - 50 is good enough for me, but no sign at all is a warning.

If the price isnt listed then I always ask what it is before ordering.

That said, I also have a tendency to walk straight past shops/restaurants/vendors who dont put the prices on things, and am much more likely to frequent a place that has proper prices on display.

That even applies to noodle vendors; a general sign saying 30 - 50 is good enough for me, but no sign at all is a warning.

That is the same general rule when getting in a taxi... ALWAYS demand a meter or negotiate a set price you are willing to pay BEFORE you take off. Most of us only make that mistake once.

Yea, it would have been nice if you mentioned in the post why you think you were overcharged ? Like are the prices posted on the wall on a board or was there a menu or what ? Anyways, I agree with every other post, food was no good, supposedly overcharged and bad service, just don't go back. After all, what else are you going to do, File Suit ? If no prices were posted or you did not ask before ordering, well, that's on you. I am sure you know how many street venders take advantage of every Westerner every chance they get. That hasn't change in 40 years. Not worth your time or grief over a few baht. Get over it and move on.

In the real world, like Los Angeles, that's referred to in legal terms as "Defrauding an innkeeper". Believe we got that law from the British about 400 years ago. Anyways, my point is that is the last thing you ever want do in this country. Gives them a perfect excuse to call the Police, puts you immediately on the defensive and then see how much the bill goes up to after that fiasco ! Gee all this over US $6. Make sure you don't rent any jet skis, you'll really be upset.

Edited by paulian