Overcharging In Restaurant

gerryBScot

yes still lookinng for answer to (did menu have prices? ).

my price guesses

steamed fish 220

salted fish 80

pepsi (2) 60

water 20

(ice) 20 (my guess here) op didnt mention, but it is common. i have even been charged for the little cool towels they bring out 55555 just once !!

so 450 does not seem unreasonable. simple reason in my mind didnt ask/know price before ordering (speak ANY thai?)

dont blame store for customer lack of knowledge. and you could chalk it up as a very inexpensive lesson learned. sure beats learning same lesson on the jetskis in Phuket !!

but since food sucked real simple, dont go back. next time ask price or read menu.

Hehe just a simple question about what to do if you think you have been overcharged in a restaurant! ! Some of you guys should take a look at the post about "Hobbies" in this section because you sound as if you need to get some new interests! I wasn't looking for controversy here or anywhere! Just a simple request: what do you do? FYI There were no published prices on the wall or on the menu I looked at. Sure I should have asked. We went into the restaurant because there were quite a lot of people eating there; that was our sole criteria as it was getting late and we were with our young son and wanted to eat. we had never been in this restaurant before though we usually visit Chumphon a couple of times a year. We associate it as having the best food and some of the best value in Thailand. One of the reasons why we go so often is because we like the food experience. Of course we challenged the bill and saw the pricing: 280 baht for a steamed sea bass and 150 baht for a slice of salt fish. That is expensive in my opinion, especially for the salt fish, for the restaurant in question. It wasn't in a prime location facing the sea..... So what do you do? I moaned, made a few loud but civil comments about pricing and paid and felt pissed off for about 5 minutes. Is there anything else you can do? Hence my post. I can assure you the quality of my life in Thailand is none the worse for the experience, I have not decided to relocate , I am not planning to consult lawyers over this matter, I have no plans to torch the place and I expect I will head back to Chumphon for a little break in a few months' time.

Hehe just a simple question about what to do if you think you have been overcharged in a restaurant! ! Some of you guys should take a look at the post about "Hobbies" in this section because you sound as if you need to get some new interests! I wasn't looking for controversy here or anywhere! Just a simple request: what do you do? FYI There were no published prices on the wall or on the menu I looked at. Sure I should have asked. We went into the restaurant because there were quite a lot of people eating there; that was our sole criteria as it was getting late and we were with our young son and wanted to eat. we had never been in this restaurant before though we usually visit Chumphon a couple of times a year. We associate it as having the best food and some of the best value in Thailand. One of the reasons why we go so often is because we like the food experience. Of course we challenged the bill and saw the pricing: 280 baht for a steamed sea bass and 150 baht for a slice of salt fish. That is expensive in my opinion, especially for the salt fish, for the restaurant in question. It wasn't in a prime location facing the sea..... So what do you do? I moaned, made a few loud but civil comments about pricing and paid and felt pissed off for about 5 minutes. Is there anything else you can do? Hence my post. I can assure you the quality of my life in Thailand is none the worse for the experience, I have not decided to relocate , I am not planning to consult lawyers over this matter, I have no plans to torch the place and I expect I will head back to Chumphon for a little break in a few months' time.

Well it looks like you got a discount, as supposed to being overcharged. Just the two fish dishes amount to 430 of the total 450 Baht bill.

On top of that you got a large bowl of rice, two bottles of Pepsi and a bottle of water for an additional 20 Baht.

As for advice on what to do if actually being overcharged in a restaurant, think you've got a few answers to that too. Don't come back, and let others know about your experience.