Was This A Scam Attempt (Or Worse)?

Ping

At about 1.45pm today, three fit looking Thai males - two in their early 30s and one older man, in a grey mid sized sedan (about 10 years old) arrived at my house. Two of them entered my property and the fittest looking one started to say, 'Hello, we are Navy and every year we...' and as he said this, I noticed the driver had got back into the car and reversed his car to block across my driveway. (Warning bells.) The speaker had extended his hand and I had reflexively shaken it, but at the same time said, 'Why is he blocking my drive way?'

The man shaking my hand took a strong grip of my hand and I tried to withdraw back into the house and close the door, ultimately breaking his grasp. He then held the door so I could not close it, but I managed to slide across and lock the security screen, preventing their entry, at the same time warning that I was calling police. He said, 'We are Navy' (or was it 'Army' - I'm sure he said Navy the first time). I grabbed my mobile and he could see this through the security door. He and his friends then beat a hasty retreat and drove off.

I should add that one of them was wearing a shirt bearing navy-type patches, but it was not a uniform-style shirt.

I have heard before of scammers posing as military personnel. Was this such an incident? Why would they target me - because there is a nice car in the driveway? Their entire approach was threatening - not the type of approach one would expect from people seeking donations.

An over-reaction on my part? Could they have been legitimate? I have not, at this point, notified police.

I've often had men in military dress come to our door looking for donations for some cause. Usually Army (as far as I know) and tend to be quite aggressive. Hard to know what to do, I try to smile and say that I'm sorry that I have no cash on hand. They come back but I make sure that no-one is at home.

I suppose that I would have been a little less apprehensive had they been in uniform. Their demeanour and actions were a problem. The missus tells me to notify the local BiB, so I will do so (they can always bin it).

E:T

Edited by Ping

If they where in honest business, they would never enter your property. Goes for any public service and Police, if they enter your property without clearly being invited to do so, they are in breach of law, as civilians, as public employees, as retired "army"

Similar guys knock on my front door on occasions, I tell my rottweiler to bark if he hasnt done so already

If they where in honest business, they would never enter your property. Goes for any public service and Police, if they enter your property without clearly being invited to do so, they are in breach of law, as civilians, as public employees, as retired "army"

Similar guys knock on my front door on occasions, I tell my rottweiler to bark if he hasnt done so already

those army guy must be a delight for him, chewy underfed thin meat and bones

monks do it all the time , and it is very hard to tell if a real monk or fake one

monks do it all the time , and it is very hard to tell if a real monk or fake one

Monks come to you door? I've never seen that! Monks that are real, stay out on the road and come only early in the morning. I had some guy come to my house once saying he was police or something, he didn't look like he was, and I told him to get off my property before my dog comes. He didn't listen, my dog came and nipped him. I closed and locked the door, he left. I've never been bothered again... LOL! I just looked at Old Crocks link. I said the same thing last year!

Edited by Jimi007

Sheesh, what a place. I’m glad that you’re still around to post the info up...could have been a very different outcome.

I suppose that I would have been a little less apprehensive had they been in uniform. Their demeanour and actions were a problem. The missus tells me to notify the local BiB, so I will do so (they can always bin it).

E:T