Rwc Oz V Kiwis Sunday 16Th

iannrob

I think the only chance you have of getting a big crowd of Wallabies and AB supporters is if the UN Irish burns down between now and the weekend.

The Red Lion is a good pub but nobody is going to be watching decent footy with a bunch of soccer-mad soapdodgers.

So far, I've watched the games I wanted to see at home. However, when it comes to a match as big as this between the Kiwi's and the Aussies, the UN Irish pub will be packed and the atmosphere will be fantastic.....so that's where I will be. (as a neutral cheering for the Kiwi's). smile.gif

I think the only chance you have of getting a big crowd of Wallabies and AB supporters is if the UN Irish burns down between now and the weekend.

The Red Lion is a good pub but nobody is going to be watching decent footy with a bunch of soccer-mad soapdodgers.

Why do you consider the customers at The Red Lion soap dodgers?

I'm curious as virtually every time I've been to the UN there's lots of dirty looking hippy wannabe backpackers hanging around. Surely this type of customer fits the description you are using?

Maybe on the occasions I've been in or drove past The Red Lion I've missed these kind of people and it's not just the UN & the area around there?

I'm curious as virtually every time I've been to the UN there's lots of dirty looking hippy wannabe backpackers hanging around. Surely this type of customer fits the description you are using?

Maybe on the occasions I've been in or drove past The Red Lion I've missed these kind of people and it's not just the UN & the area around there?

The term "soap dodger" is the generic name for, and completely interchangeable with, the term "pom" (check Urban Dictionary for confirmation). In that context It hasn't had anything to do with bathing for at least 20 years now and both are good-natured epithets.

e.g. "Tony Grieg and Kevin Pieterson are only half-arsed soap dodgers" is something heard very often in cricket discussions.

Do not consider it necessary to thank me for expanding your vocabulary, but a bit of banter is common at international footy matches so sensitive fellows should give them a miss.

If any of you crims from the penal colonies fancy watching the game at The Olde Bell. I promise that I will have showered and my customers always have the most impeccable hygene. I can't promise to engage you in sensible conversation as I will still be hungover after the better semi final on Saturday. COME ON THE WELSH!!

If any of you crims from the penal colonies fancy watching the game at The Olde Bell. I promise that I will have showered and my customers always have the most impeccable hygene. I can't promise to engage you in sensible conversation as I will still be hungover after the better semi final on Saturday. COME ON THE WELSH!!

I wish the Wallabies were playing the Welsh instead of the Kiwis, be nice to be guaranteed a spot in the final, now we have to do it the hard way. :annoyed:

Well. Sparkles, my old friend, all i can say is. I hope you manage to turn over the Blacks! I'd much rather play the Wallbaies in the final!! Good luck for Sunday.......good luck to everyone really, its been a fantastic festival of rugby!

With a few more twists and turns to go!!!

Im looking forward to the France Vs New Zealand final :D

As much as it irks me to say it, I disagree with you. I still haven't forgiven William the Conqueror mad.gif.......OK so it was a thousand years ago....but that makes no difference they shouldn't have done it.

I won't exactly be cheering Wales.......but I hope they stuff the French.

I'd like to see the Kiwi's win the final - they are so often 'also rans' wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

The term "soap dodger" is the generic name for, and completely interchangeable with, the term "pom" (check Urban Dictionary for confirmation). In that context It hasn't had anything to do with bathing for at least 20 years now and both are good-natured epithets.

e.g. "Tony Grieg and Kevin Pieterson are only half-arsed soap dodgers" is something heard very often in cricket discussions.

Do not consider it necessary to thank me for expanding your vocabulary, but a bit of banter is common at international footy matches so sensitive fellows should give them a miss.

Well, you haven't expanded my vocabulary in any way as it isn't a term I've used since I left school where it was used as banter as you suggest.

would have no idea if it's used at cricket events as I find the sport so boring I'd rather put pins in my eyes.

Must admit that all of the games so far have been excellent and the games to come will be at least as good.

For what it's worth I made a bet with an Aussie pal of mine that they would win and he chose NZ. That surprised me a little but having seen all the matches so far I think every team should be looking out for Wales. Their last two matches were some of the best rugby I've seen in years.

Like everyone I'm looking forward to the coming games, my disappointment passed about 20 seconds after we went out so it's pure enjoyment of the game now thumbsup.gif

And like I said, i'll be looking forward to the France Vs New Zealand final next weekend

And you got your wish

And no complaints from us Aussies about losing to a far superior side and thankfully no controverial refereeing decisions. Would be very surprised if the All Blacks don't win by 20 points in the final but hopefully a nail biter. Whatever the result I think most would agree its been a long but entertaining tournament.

So rugby is 'footy' now is it? Sounds as though there's some yanky in your aussie. Good to see the wallabies (bit girlie for a rugger side, roos would've been more manly) put in their place... that'll teach you for nicking that bread, eh what what! :lol:

If les Bleus turn up - as they did for England - there could be a match, but barring ABs choking...

I don't think France will have a chance against the All Blacks. France really didn't play well in this tournament and lost to Tonga, a team that Canada beat. There were some other funny results and I really did hope the Welsh would beat France. The Welsh were a man down for almost the whole match and yet only lost by a point. Had they been able to convert the only try in the game they would have won.

The Wallabies turned up, but unfortunately they left their game plan on the bus.

Great for the All Blacks on home territory........now all they have to do is stuff the French. smile.gif

The Frogs have to be the worst and luckiest team to ever reach any final in any sport I have ever seen. If they don't improve by a very large percentage the Kiwi's will run rampant- I hope!

Wales-the unluckiest!

So rugby is 'footy' now is it? Sounds as though there's some yanky in your aussie. Good to see the wallabies (bit girlie for a rugger side, roos would've been more manly) put in their place... that'll teach you for nicking that bread, eh what what! :lol:

If les Bleus turn up - as they did for England - there could be a match, but barring ABs choking...

Don't really think there's any yanky in his aussie. RFU = Rugby football Union. RLFC = Rugby League Football Club. Terms which are used in both codes of the sport in every country that plays the games.

This link may provide more info

If I'm not mistaken, in Australia "Footy" is used as a term for Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Rugby Union & Football (soccer). I'm sure I'll be corrected soon enough if there are still more games played under this name

That all said, I'm disappointed for Wales as France haven't really performed well at all this time. Hoping the All Blacks really kick ass this weekend as they have played extremely well in every match so far.

Good to see the wallabies (bit girlie for a rugger side, roos would've been more manly) put in their place...

The Kangaroos beat the Kiwis 42-6 in the Rugby League test a couple of hours before the RWC semi-final. Unfortunately the match time clashed with Casey Stoner winning the 2011 MotoGP title.

Good to see the wallabies (bit girlie for a rugger side, roos would've been more manly) put in their place...

The Kangaroos beat the Kiwis 42-6 in the Rugby League test a couple of hours before the RWC semi-final. Unfortunately the match time clashed with Casey Stoner winning the 2011 MotoGP title.

No surprise at Stoner winning this year. World class rider now on one of the better bikes. Can't see much changing next season either to be honest. He gives the impression of being a very down to earth family man who is just a deamon as soon as he wears a lid lol. Well deserved champion.

...... As the All Blacks will be soon (fingers crossed).

As semi-off topic interest, will you be following the world club champions rugby league?

I think it will be Leeds Rhino's again this year for England but I'm pretty sure NRL doesn't end for quite a while yet

As semi-off topic interest, will you be following the world club champions rugby league?

I think it will be Leeds Rhino's again this year for England but I'm pretty sure NRL doesn't end for quite a while yet

I've been following the rugby league on Setanta but have not heard if they have the rights for the world club championship. The NRL season finished on the 1st weekend of October with the Manly Sea Eagles winning the premiership. Not sure about the rules - does that mean they get automatic selection? The Auckland Warriors were runners-up, does that get them in too?