Bangkok Governor, Officials Prepare For Triple Threat: Flood Crisis

webfact

FLOOD CRISIS

Bangkok governor, officials prepare for triple threat

The Nation

30167332-01.jpg

The Bangkok governor yesterday announced the formation of a flood-prevention "war room" in a bid to put up "a special fight" to protect the capital against the triple threat of rainstorms, water runoff from upriver, and high tides from the Gulf of Thailand.

Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra told a press conference at the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration yesterday that the city faced a three-pronged threat.

He said the BMA would closely monitor the situation round-the-clock, particularly from October 16 to 18, when problems are expected to peak.

"Areas of concern include communities along both sides of the Chao Phraya River and those outside the flood embankments, as well as the [low-lying] eastern districts such as Lat Krabang, Min Buri, Nong Chok, and Klong Samwa," the governor said.

He said the BMA's newly-established Flood Prevention Operation Centre would begin work today and have its office at Min Buri community hall. The centre, to be overseen by BMA permanent secretary Thaweesak Dejdecha, would be responsible for helping residents in four eastern districts.

The governor said officials had devised a plan to evacuate residents in 27 communities that were not protected by flood barriers. Ten BMA vocational training centres around the city had been prepared for evacuees, he added.

Sukhumbhand said he got messages on his online social account asking which areas of Bangkok would be flooded. He said he didn't know exactly.

"But I am still firm that the BMA will be able to counter the extra water. If between October 16 and 18, there is runoff from the North, high tides and rain in Bangkok, the BMA will have to put up a special fight," he said.

The governor also ordered flood barriers around Siriraj Hospital on the river to be strengthened. His Majesty the King has been hospitalised at Siriraj in recent times. But Sukhumbhand said during an inspection yesterday he felt confident the hospital would not be flooded.

Meanwhile, the 24/7 Emergency Operation Centre for Floods, Storms and Landslides has instructed the BMA to tell the public that water levels in Bangkok remain manageable in order to allay public fears of severe flooding.

Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation chief Vibul Sa-nguanpong, in his capacity as the centre's deputy director, said many Bangkok residents were overly concerned due to news of severe flooding in provinces upriver.

Meanwhile, the government's National Flood Relief Centre has ordered sandbag walls be erected in three suburban locations to prevent flooding in Bangkok, according to Justice Minister Pracha Promnok, the centre's director.

Temporary embankments would be built at Muang Ake housing estate in Pathum Thani's Rangsit area, behind Mahidol University in Bangkok's Taling Chan district, and along Canal Number 5 in Pathum Thani. "I will try to have them completed by October 13," Pracha said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-11

Right at the entrance to my village there is an office for the National Disaster Emergency Response. It's been there for years. But I never see any activity. I walk past every day and there is still no activity. It would be nice if the presence of that office indicates I'm on safe and dry ground, but . . . Meanwhile, another cloudy morn. Mix in a little heat from the rising sun and, yes, there it is, I can hear it now--cue the rain drops.

Thai capital bracing for floodwaters

Thai authorities are rushing to build sandbag barricades in the capital to protect it from the worst floods in decades.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said on Monday that government workers have two days to build three major water barricades before runoff from the north reaches Bangkok. Unusually high ocean tides are expected to worsen the floods.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said 269 people have died, mostly from drowning, since tropical storms began hitting Thailand at the end of July. It said 8.2 million people in 60 of the country's 77 provinces have been affected by floods and mudslides, and 30 provinces are now inundated.

Yingluck said she didn't know if Bangkok would be protected from the flooding.

'It is really hard to tell because it's difficult to predict the volume of water,' she told reporters. 'But I insist if we can complete the three main water barriers within the next one or two days, Bangkok will be safe.'

The government planned to use 1.5 million sandbags to build the barriers but still lacked more than 100,000 as of Monday. [more...]

Full story: http://www.skynews.com.au/world/article.aspx?id=671947&vId=

-- skynews.com.au 2011-10-11

footer_n.gif

Thailand Bolsters Flood Defenses as Deluge Threatens Bangkok

Oct. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Thai officials rushed to reinforce barriers and widen canals in Bangkok on concern the nation’s worst floods in more than half a century may spread to the capital later this week.

The deluge swept across the country starting in late July, killing 269 people, swamping factories operated by Honda Motor Co., Nikon Corp. and Canon Inc. and damaging more than 10 percent of rice farms in the biggest exporter of the grain.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra opened army camps to help house some of the 2.4 million people displaced by the floods, and asked authorities to accelerate efforts to protect the capital. The finance ministry yesterday cut its forecast for economic growth to 3.7 percent from 4 percent and said the disaster may cause 120 billion baht ($3.9 billion) of damage.

“It’s difficult to estimate the water volume, but if we can protect the flood barriers in three key points in the next one to two days, Bangkok should be saved,” Yingluck said yesterday at Bangkok’s former international airport, which has been turned into the country’s main flood-management center. [more...]

Full story: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-10-10/thailand-bolsters-flood-defenses-as-deluge-threatens-bangkok.html

-- businessweek.com 2011-10-11

footer_n.gif

'It is really hard to tell because it's difficult to predict the volume of water,' she told reporters.

I would have thought it would be relatively easy to predict the volume of water, given that it has been flowing down from the north for the last month.

According to the BP, Thaksin has a "cunning plan" to prevent ALL future flooding - and it will only cost B400 billion. As it involves storing water for irrigation, I'd guess it means a LOT more dams.

PS no mention of boats!

Edited by OzMick

Bangkok braces for floodwaters

Defences being built to protect Thai capital from floods that have killed more than 250 people.

Thousands of people in Thailand are fleeing their homes as flood waters threaten to engulf entire villages and towns.

VIDEO: http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2011/10/20111010162023881205.html

-- aljazeera.net 2011-10-11

footer_n.gif

'It is really hard to tell because it's difficult to predict the volume of water,' she told reporters.

I would have thought it would be relatively easy to predict the volume of water, given that it has been flowing down from the north for the last month.

Well go on then, tell us, if it's that easy? Add in a couple of variables about not knowing how much additional rainfall there may be, and how much the tide will rise on the 17/18th, the fact that all the flood water does not conveniently flow into the Chao Praya and stay there (it has a tendency to break out every now and then and flood other areas) I don't think it would be that easy, but what do I know, I'm not an expert, neither I suspect, are you.

Well go on then, tell us, if it's that easy? Add in a couple of variables about not knowing how much additional rainfall there may be, and how much the tide will rise on the 17/18th, the fact that all the flood water does not conveniently flow into the Chao Praya and stay there (it has a tendency to break out every now and then and flood other areas) I don't think it would be that easy, but what do I know, I'm not an expert, neither I suspect, are you.

At best a very rough estimate of how high the water level will be. There are many unpredictable variables in Meteorology. I second your thought and add:

It is easy to spout a sudden "feeling" or a compulsive opinion that make some people feel good and important when demeaning others, without backing up that opinion with solid facts or incontrovertible data.

Those people who "demand to exercise freedom of speech do so to make up for the lack of Freedom of thought, which they refuse to practice."

Soren Kierkegaard

:jap:

I said relatively easy. They know how high the water has been getting at numerous locations up river. I'm sure that the government have plenty of experts available to do a few calculations.

Tides have been predicted for centuries. I've got a tide book available if they need it.

It won't give them exact volumes, but they should be able to get a reasonable idea of the expected water levels.

I said relatively easy. They know how high the water has been getting at numerous locations up river. I'm sure that the government have plenty of experts available to do a few calculations.

Tides have been predicted for centuries. I've got a tide book available if they need it.

It won't give them exact volumes, but they should be able to get a reasonable idea of the expected water levels.

I think it would be much easer to predict if the water would stay still for a moment.

Locals Along Major Canals Concerned Over Possible Overflowing

Those living along Maha Sawat canal fear the possibility of overflows after the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration issued a warning.

The National Disaster Warning Center has issued a warning to communities living nearby the nine canals around Bangkok, including Maha Sawat Canal, that the waterways are at risk of overflowing.

At the same time, the Drainage and Sewerage Department reported that the water level at the Tawee Wattana floodgate reached its peak at 2.13 meters during the 1995 flood that ravaged the area.

Officers pointed out that the floodgate is capable of containing around 2.80 meters of water.

As of now, the water level at Tawee Wattana floodgate measures 1.57 meters.

The gate is capable of handling runoff from Ayutthaya's Noi River and Chao Phraya River.

Officers added that the floodgate will not receive runoff from Ayutthaya and Nonthaburi directly, saying that runoff will be diverted to the Tha jeen River instead.

Consequently, those living nearby the floodgate should not be severely affected by runoff from northern provinces.

However, local people accepted that they are scared about the possibility of flooding.

They are saying that the involved agencies are not offering them appropriate assistance, as the district administration authority overlaps between Bangkok's Tawee Wattana District and Nakhon Pathom's Buddha Monthon District.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-11

footer_n.gif

At best a very rough estimate of how high the water level will be. There are many unpredictable variables in Meteorology. I second your thought and add:

It is easy to spout a sudden "feeling" or a compulsive opinion that make some people feel good and important when demeaning others, without backing up that opinion with solid facts or incontrovertible data.

Those people who "demand to exercise freedom of speech do so to make up for the lack of Freedom of thought, which they refuse to practice."

Soren Kierkegaard

:jap:

The subject is not meteorology, it is hydrology, quite a different science, and as the relative departments here have both the experience and multiple flow gauges giving them up to the minute information, peak levels should be quite predictable in both height and arrival time.

As a power station operator in the Hunter valley (NSW) it was critical than we access as much fresh water as possible during periods of high flow. We had computer programs that would take data from a limited number of metering stations on the 2 rivers that joined upstream, plus input from the river authority of any unusual conditions. Localised rain had to be quite heavy and long duration before it was even considered as a factor.

As we were extracting up to 500Ml/day, and the salinity of the water was important, timing of high flow arrival was essential - I have never seen an estimation more than 10 mins out. the system here is admittedly more complex, but flood gates will not usually be operated without consultation, and a dyke breach would only lower downstream peak flow.

As well as freedom of thought, you might also consider freedom from information.

Here's a novel solution to the flooding problem:

stock-photo-stilt-house-of-the-thai-in-northern-vietnam-2581832.jpg

or if you want something a bit more modern:

lipa-noi-home-thai-rentals-the-stilt-house-70259.jpg

I agree with you 110%. But how non western.

jb1

P.S Would you by any chance have the plans for the bottom house?

Edited by jimbeam1

The Governor is trying to do his best for us in Bangkok. He is even praying for us. My wife sees his prayers to the Godess of the River as a valuable contribution. Governors never get thanks for the good things they do. I hope that this man is thanked for his efforts. There's a limit to what he can do.

People have valid reasons to be worried with the overflowing rivers due to intense rains and typhoons that have battered South East Asia for several weeks. The real issue is the rainfall and the way it affects the flow of water on the ground. The rainfall is indeed Meteorology. In this case, rainfall is affected by numerous variables. The way water behaves on the ground is indeed, Hydrology. The latter is also affected by different variables such as the tides. These are facts; it's neither right nor wrong. It is what it is. Nature has no personality. Nature does not parse and twist itself in order to proof it is right or wrong. Wisely, Nature has left that province to humans with delusional minds. With enough information, will power and medication those humans can arrest, somewhat, that symptom of OCD.

Bangkok at flood risk

The Nation

Rainfall, run-off and high tide are three critical factors to determine whether the capital will be inundated and Bangkok's flood risk will peak in two periods, from Friday to Sunday and from October 28 to October 31.

National Flood Relief Centre chief Pracha Promnok said on Tuesday that authorities were working with utmost efforts to save Bangkok from flooding but could not guarantee the outcome.

"The fate of Bangkok depends entirely on how the water situation will turn out," he said.

To defend Bangkok, workers and soldiers are working to fix the earth dike at Pathum Thani's Sam Khok district, seen as the most critical line of defence against the overflowing Chao Phraya, he said.

The dike's collapse at six locations on Tuesday's had already caused inundation at several areas in Pathum Thani following heavy rain in the morning..

The dike must be reparied and fortified within a few days if Bangkok is to be spared from run-off which is expected to arrive Ayutthaya on Friday and the capital this weekend, Pracha said.

The flooding in Pathum Thani will likely spread to Nakhon Pathom, pending the dike repair, he said.

The arrival of run-off in the capital will coincide with the high tide, increasing the flood risk, he said.

The highlights of flood prevention measures in Bangkok include the draining of excess water from Pasak Dam to major canals into Bang Pakong River on the eastern side of the capital.

To fight run-off from the North, Bangkok authorities are building three earth dikes to strengthen the existing flood barriers.

The new dikes will locate near Muang Ake housing estate, around Khlong 1-8 in Rangsit and at Salaya-Taling Chan. The dikes would be 16 kilometer long and Pracha said he could not guarantee a full complettion of the construction before the arrival of run-off.

He said Nakhon Sawan was at the worst level of flood crisis and Ayutthaya was completely inundated.

The only choice left to the authorities was to try and save Bangkok and surrounding areas, including Chachoengsao, Samut Prakan, he said.

Several waterways in Bangkok's eastern parts of Nonk Chok and Min Buri are on the verge of overflowing due to heavy rainfall.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-11

A large number of nonsense, off-topic and inflammatory posts have been deleted along with responses to them.

Some people are relying on the information posted in the forum to help determine what is in their best interest. Let's not confuse the issue with nonsense.

Anybody has information where to report to fill/place sandbags in the threatened areas?

I live in a flood free part of Bangkok but many do not.

It would be something positive that TV members could do to lessen the impending effects of the flood.

TIA

Your local tesaban or district office will tell you where they are. I was at one such area (an empty plot of land taken over by the local tesaban) this morning. Its gruelling but necessary work and trucks full of sand were arriving every 10-15 minutes and hundreds of people were either filling sandbags or waiting to do so.

The weather forecast posted above conflicts entirely with the one on TV last night which forecast very heavy rain for Bangkok and many other areas. None of the forecasts are ever very accurate anyway.

The areas expected to be worst affected in the coming days are the eastern districts of Nong Chok, Khlong Sam Wa, Lat Krabang and Min Buri (See below map).

post-35874-0-09539800-1318332070_thumb.j

Additionally, the following roads are most at risk of flooding over the next week (See also map below):

• Chan Road-St Louise-Sathu Pradit (Sathon district)

• Prahon Yothin Road (central Phaya Thai district)

• Sukhumvit Soi 105 (Bang Na district)

• Sukhumvit Soi 39 and 49 (Watthana district)

• Lat Phrao Road (Wang Thonglang district)

• Navamin Road (Bung Kum district)

• Ratchadaphisek Road (Din Daeng district)

• Lat Phrao intersection on Ratchadaphisek Road (Chatuchak district)

• Ratchathewi intersection on Phetchaburi Road (Ratchathewi district)

• Nikhom Makkasan Road (Ratchathewi district)

• Phetchakasem Soi 63 (Bang Kae district)

• Yen Akat Road (Yannawa district)

• Srinakarintara Road (Prawet district)

• Sanam Chai-Maha Rat Road (Phra Nakhon district)

post-35874-0-43348500-1318332116_thumb.j