Thai Tourism Minister: "Floods Not Hurting Tourism"

george

I'm not sure why you guys are so critical. It's a valid concern just as much as anything else. If you own hotels or are part of the industry you will want to know the situation so you can plan your business appropriately. The world doesn't stop just because of a disaster. Life goes on. There are other people who are in charge of taking care of the disaster and it's not the Minister of Tourism. He is just responding to the question of the state of affairs in this industry.

Also, it's possible to check if this is true or not. Immigration has number of the number of people entering and leaving the country. Hotels provide information on how many foreigners are using their hotels. If anything, numbers should increase with all the displaced people needing a place to stay.

I never can understand why people who say they love Thailand so much jump at any opportunity to put down anything the Thai government or their citizens are doing. If you don't like it so much there are other countries you can move to. However, chances are, you will complain about those countries as well.

Richard, some of us have been here a very long time and have wives and children who are Thai, not easy to uproot them and move to another land. . So , pray tell me where should I take my lovely Thai wife and my beautiful half Thai childrens... ? you are an absolute idiot. why are we so critical, Just look at who the brain-dead Thai people voted in to lead this country.. and I can tell you without doubt, the present situation in Thailand is affecting tourism as I am in the tourist business.. I hope the rains keep pouring down.. and wash away all the shit...!

Richard, it seems to me that all Bakseedaa is asking for is a bit of honesty. Most of us who live here do so because love the country and many of us have wives and families and interests here. There is nothing to be gained by spinning tangled webs of deceit.

Maybe I'm missing something here. When I go downtown in Chiang Mai, I see a city full of tourist. I don't see any impact from the floods. In fact, there is no trace that last week there was a flood. Sure there is a problem but it's not even close to the scale you guys are saying it is.

The airports are still open and tourist continue to pour into Thailand. Feel free to check the flights on the internet and see if they were all cancelled. Check the newspapers for stories of airlines talking about the losses they are realizing because of this disaster. While you're at it, check the papers to see if the hotels are asking for emergency government support to compensate them for the losses they incurred because of the lack of tourism. Sure there is some lose but not enough to say the flood is impacting the tourism sector.

If the tourism minister was as bad as you guys are saying he would be asking for money to compensate the tourism industry and then funneling that money into his private account. That's not happening. He is being honest. Tourism is more than just Bangkok. It is all of Thailand. The flood is affecting many industries and cities...but the tourism sector in general is not being affected. You guys should read the article slowly and without emotion before you comment falsely about it.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why you guys are so critical. It's a valid concern just as much as anything else. If you own hotels or are part of the industry you will want to know the situation so you can plan your business appropriately. The world doesn't stop just because of a disaster. Life goes on. There are other people who are in charge of taking care of the disaster and it's not the Minister of Tourism. He is just responding to the question of the state of affairs in this industry.

Also, it's possible to check if this is true or not. Immigration has number of the number of people entering and leaving the country. Hotels provide information on how many foreigners are using their hotels. If anything, numbers should increase with all the displaced people needing a place to stay.

I never can understand why people who say they love Thailand so much jump at any opportunity to put down anything the Thai government or their citizens are doing. If you don't like it so much there are other countries you can move to. However, chances are, you will complain about those countries as well.

Richard, some of us have been here a very long time and have wives and children who are Thai, not easy to uproot them and move to another land. . So , pray tell me where should I take my lovely Thai wife and my beautiful half Thai childrens... ? you are an absolute idiot. why are we so critical, Just look at who the brain-dead Thai people voted in to lead this country.. and I can tell you without doubt, the present situation in Thailand is affecting tourism as I am in the tourist business.. I hope the rains keep pouring down.. and wash away all the shit...!

Agreed and why would you want to move your family from their home especially when you came here to give them one. A friend of mine is in the bar business and he is suffering because of the floods. In addition friends of mine that travel to Thailand for a months golfing holiday have canceled, very difficult to play golf in scuba gear.

Well, my friend was traveling from Malaysia to Thailand to Laos to China.

He WAS going to stop and visit with me last week, but based on the reports he was getting, and what he saw in Phuket, he decided to bypass the rest of Thailand altogether.

Hard to imagine he is the only one to do so.

@GoergeBKK - 21 countries issue travel warnings to their nationals about visiting Thailand due to the flood situation: goo.gl/KVrzc

Seems his theory was shot out the window.

the one's on the plane won't get the memo until they have landed. apparently.

Most people on here are forgetting that Thailand consists of Bangkok and Bangkok...we're not talking about other countries such as Ayutthaya or Pichit.

Bet you didn't study geography or perhaps you are student of Sarah Palin!

No passed on geography and went for sarcasm instead, though I do have to tone it down at home here in Buriram.

Minister Downplays Flood Impact on Tourism

Faced with one of the worst flood crises in 50 years, the tourism and sports minister is optimistic.

He's confident the tourism industry will not be damaged by the flooding.

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa says he's not worried about the travel warnings issued on Thailand.

He said it's only natural such travel warnings are issued to warn travelers about the flood situation in Thailand.

However, the minister is putting on a brave face.

He's confident the number of tourist arrivals will not be severely affected by the flooding.

Since Ayutthaya Province is the only tourist destination hit hard by floods, tour operators have been entertaining travelers at other popular tourist attractions in Thailand.

Even with the floods, the average number of tourist arrival amounts to around 40,000 per day.

The minister is confident that the number of tourists will be able to more than meet the original arrival target.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-11

footer_n.gif

Oh ye of little faith. Don't you realise another high season is just round the corner? The traditional increase in Baht's strength at that time and the hotels can increase the room prices on already overbooked rooms. :rolleyes:

And with 21 countries issuing travel advisories / warnings for Thailand, who you gonna believe?????

Well, my friend was traveling from Malaysia to Thailand to Laos to China.

He WAS going to stop and visit with me last week, but based on the reports he was getting, and what he saw in Phuket, he decided to bypass the rest of Thailand altogether.

Hard to imagine he is the only one to do so.

My wife just received the cancellation of the annual company trip from her head office in Singapore.

55 people Nov 3-6 in BKK.

The group will now travel to Bali.

B.S. they should look at the travelling advises some Embassies have on their site.

The travel advisories are for areas under flood watch or that have been hit. The tourists are still going to the tourist destinations in the south such as Koh Samui, Phuket etc.

The load factors on the flights from Korea, Australia, Japan and China to these destinations are not showing any serious decline. Look at the airline PAX load numbers to those regions. The fact of the matter is that the JetStar and Air Asia junketeers are still flying in.

Most people on here are forgetting that Thailand consists of Bangkok and Bangkok...we're not talking about other countries such as Ayutthaya or Pichit.

Bet you didn't study geography or perhaps you are student of Sarah Palin!

Perhaps better to study applied sarcasm, and irony, rather than verbatim literalism.

Just watched DWTV news in their report on the floods they said over half of Thailand is under water! , if i was in europe thinking about a holiday in the coming months i'm not going to bother finding out which half is dry just give Thailand a wide berth, lifes too short .

They are critical about the lies he is selling. Look this is Thailand they cant say anything bad about their country unless they really cant deny it. Its normal behavior of ministers. If they air bad news then they will catch flack.

But even a child can see this will affect tourism.

How do you know how many people are arriving in Thailand? Did immigration call you to report the arrivals? I doubt it. However, I bet the Ministry of Tourism does have access to this information. You guys are making assumptions and have no idea what you are talking about. You just assume no one will want to come to Thailand. Yes...it can have an effect on tourism but it is having no effect on the industry as a whole. People are still arriving as normal. They might change their plans. Instead of Bangkok this week they go to Chiang Mai and last week instead of Chiang Mai they went to Phuket. Who knows? The only fact is what is recorded in tourist arrivals in Thailand.

There is already a flood. It's bad news already. Who do you think would give them flack for saying tourism is down? There is no reason for the minister to be afraid to tell the truth.

LOL. Anyways Richard, let's wait for a few people connected to the hotel industry here to say what they think about the near to medium term for bookings. I am still trying to come to grips with the 19 million statement in the original newspaper clipping.

Well hotels won't be a fair barometer. According to Richard they are going to have displaced Thai's moving into them.

Bottom line is people are not dishing Thailand they are dishing stupid statements.

Evidently the minister doesn't realize he has all ready been elected he dosen't have to say any thing people want to hear to get their vote now.

Perhaps he should get out in the street s with the people who make their living off of tourists and tell them the flood has not made a difference.

This must come from bizarre Thai tourism play book. Like a knee jerk reaction, after every disaster the tourism dept comes out and says tourism will not be affected. With hundreds of people dead, and billions of baht lost, it seems a trifle insensitive to be talking about tourism numbers.......

But that's the way they are: Any global earthquake or recent plane crashes, or other disaster - the headline has been something like: "No Thais Dead", or "No Thai Workers Injured" or "Thais this and Thais that" - Isn't it Amazing?

Tourist numbers are seriously down, regardless of what's being said. You only have to use youer eyes and ears.

Was in Pattaya 2 weeks ago. Vacant rooms and special deals advertised almost everywhere. Sois 7 and 8 just about desreted, and some bars closing early.

Back in Bkk, wlaked from Robinson on Sukhumvit to Pantip plaza last Wedenesday, and saw 19 westerners over the 3-4km.

If the tourists are here, where are they?

On the other hand, if nobody is coming, nobody else coming will not affect the figures.

Tourist numbers are seriously down, regardless of what's being said. You only have to use youer eyes and ears.

Was in Pattaya 2 weeks ago. Vacant rooms and special deals advertised almost everywhere. Sois 7 and 8 just about desreted, and some bars closing early.

Back in Bkk, wlaked from Robinson on Sukhumvit to Pantip plaza last Wedenesday, and saw 19 westerners over the 3-4km.

On the other hand, if nobody is coming, nobody else coming will not affect the figures.

... why did you stop at 19? Forget what comes next?

Edited by whybother

This made me laugh since the majority of tourists visiting Thailand are from East Asia!

Other countries may vary, but here in England I only found out about the floods by accident.

If Bangkok floods badly things may change, but the floods haven't made the papers or the tv news. No mention of it at all on the BBC News site, for example, unless you actually dip down to Asia/Pacific news pages.

Personally I'm not arriving in Thailand until the end of November, so I'm confident I'll be fine, but I can well imagine tourists arriving at the airport in Bangkok having no idea about what's going on.

BBC International edition (TV) had a bigger coverage of the flooding tonight.

BBC World (assuming that's what you mean) is completely different from the BBC shown in the UK*. I watched BBC News 24 for the whole hour long news, and the floods didn't get a single mention.

The British media can be notoriously insular, so its lack of coverage can't be taken as a barometer for the whole western world, but it's possible that the coverage is slight. That might be a reason why numbers aren't much lower than expected.

* I think contractually they have to be different as BBC World takes adverts so it's not allowed to show any programmes produced using licence fee money, while BBC (UK) can't show any programes paid for by adverts, or something like that.

This must come from bizarre Thai tourism play book. Like a knee jerk reaction, after every disaster the tourism dept comes out and says tourism will not be affected. With hundreds of people dead, and billions of baht lost, it seems a trifle insensitive to be talking about tourism numbers.......

But that's the way they are: Any global earthquake or recent plane crashes, or other disaster - the headline has been something like: "No Thais Dead", or "No Thai Workers Injured" or "Thais this and Thais that" - Isn't it Amazing?

Just as in the UK news, your point is?