Thai Tourism Minister: "Floods Not Hurting Tourism"

george

The Bangkok Post runs a story and quotes Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Slipa-archa who says,

"The wide-spread flooding in many provinces is having no impact on the tourism sector for the moment."

Investopedia defines sector as: An area of the economy in which businesses share the same or a related product or service. Economies are comprised of four sectors. The primary sector involves the extraction and harvesting of natural products from the earth (e.g., agriculture, mining and forestry). The secondary sector consists of processing, manufacturing and construction. The tertiary sector provides services, such as retail sales, entertainment and financial services. The quaternary sector is made up of intellectual pursuits, like education.

Bangkok Post adds the news headline, "Chumpol: Floods not hurting tourism". This is not what was said.

ThaiVisa adds a little more, "NO PROBLEMS", which is no where in the original headline.

People are upset already because of the flood. Incorrectly reporting events does not help. The end result of bad journalism is people get more upset. It's a good example of the power of media and how it gets abused. I think freedom of speech needs to be redefined when it comes to journalism. When it is abused it causes problems. Look at the comments of many people in this thread and how most want to hang Chumpol.

You keep trying to make up for your mistakes unable to admit your wrong.

Many people from the tourist sector like my gf and others here on Thaivisa have already told you they are affected. Do you work in tourism ? Do you have first hand knowledge ?

Some of us do you just want to keep up appearances.

Just think of the tourist offices that are flooded or unable to work. Just think of the factories in Thailand who usually let their employees tour Thailand (with a tour company on their yearly day out). Now these factories are hurting they wont be able to do this now. This hurts my the tourism sector.

Just think what the cleanup of this mess will cost the tourism sector.

Just look at the people canceling trips or deciding to go somewhere else instead. Remember this is a delayed effect as many aren't able to cancel right now.

Is it so hard to get these things in your "academic" mind.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bangkok Post runs a story and quotes Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Slipa-archa who says,

"The wide-spread flooding in many provinces is having no impact on the tourism sector for the moment."

Investopedia defines sector as: An area of the economy in which businesses share the same or a related product or service. Economies are comprised of four sectors. The primary sector involves the extraction and harvesting of natural products from the earth (e.g., agriculture, mining and forestry). The secondary sector consists of processing, manufacturing and construction. The tertiary sector provides services, such as retail sales, entertainment and financial services. The quaternary sector is made up of intellectual pursuits, like education.

Bangkok Post adds the news headline, "Chumpol: Floods not hurting tourism". This is not what was said.

ThaiVisa adds a little more, "NO PROBLEMS", which is no where in the original headline.

People are upset already because of the flood. Incorrectly reporting events does not help. The end result of bad journalism is people get more upset. It's a good example of the power of media and how it gets abused. I think freedom of speech needs to be redefined when it comes to journalism. When it is abused it causes problems. Look at the comments of many people in this thread and how most want to hang Chumpol.

You keep trying to make up for your mistakes unable to admit your wrong.

Many people from the tourist sector like my gf and others here on Thaivisa have already told you they are affected. Do you work in tourism ? Do you have first hand knowledge ?

Some of us do you just want to keep up appearances.

Just think of the tourist offices that are flooded or unable to work. Just think of the factories in Thailand who usually let their employees tour Thailand (with a tour company on their yearly day out). Now these factories are hurting they wont be able to do this now. This hurts my the tourism sector.

Just think what the cleanup of this mess will cost the tourism sector.

Just look at the people canceling trips or deciding to go somewhere else instead. Remember this is a delayed effect as many aren't able to cancel right now.

Is it so hard to get these things in your "academic" mind.

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure why you guys are so critical. It's a valid concern just as much as anything else. If you own hotels or are part of the industry you will want to know the situation so you can plan your business appropriately. The world doesn't stop just because of a disaster. Life goes on. There are other people who are in charge of taking care of the disaster and it's not the Minister of Tourism. He is just responding to the question of the state of affairs in this industry.

Also, it's possible to check if this is true or not. Immigration has number of the number of people entering and leaving the country. Hotels provide information on how many foreigners are using their hotels. If anything, numbers should increase with all the displaced people needing a place to stay.

I never can understand why people who say they love Thailand so much jump at any opportunity to put down anything the Thai government or their citizens are doing. If you don't like it so much there are other countries you can move to. However, chances are, you will complain about those countries as well.

I mostly agree Richard.

Those involved in tourism are hanging out for reassurance that their livelihoods are as secure as they can be, and that's why the government has a tourism minister, along with a lot of other duties. He may be blowing sunshine up their butts, but we don't know that just yet. Most people would have booked well ahead and will feel obliged to complete their travel plans, and travel insurance companies won't be paying unless Bangkok is under ten metres of water.

It may be less than an honest government in some ways, but I think for farang residents it would be better to not be such 'glass half empty' types. Even as a newcomer here, I see that many are very fast to knock the country in which they choose to live.

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

I'm not sure why you guys are so critical. It's a valid concern just as much as anything else. If you own hotels or are part of the industry you will want to know the situation so you can plan your business appropriately. The world doesn't stop just because of a disaster. Life goes on. There are other people who are in charge of taking care of the disaster and it's not the Minister of Tourism. He is just responding to the question of the state of affairs in this industry.

Also, it's possible to check if this is true or not. Immigration has number of the number of people entering and leaving the country. Hotels provide information on how many foreigners are using their hotels. If anything, numbers should increase with all the displaced people needing a place to stay.

I never can understand why people who say they love Thailand so much jump at any opportunity to put down anything the Thai government or their citizens are doing. If you don't like it so much there are other countries you can move to. However, chances are, you will complain about those countries as well.

I mostly agree Richard.

Those involved in tourism are hanging out for reassurance that their livelihoods are as secure as they can be, and that's why the government has a tourism minister, along with a lot of other duties. He may be blowing sunshine up their butts, but we don't know that just yet. Most people would have booked well ahead and will feel obliged to complete their travel plans, and travel insurance companies won't be paying unless Bangkok is under ten metres of water.

It may be less than an honest government in some ways, but I think for farang residents it would be better to not be such 'glass half empty' types. Even as a newcomer here, I see that many are very fast to knock the country in which they choose to live.

I don't think any of these posts have "knocked the country" (though I agree that can't be said about some other threads), they are merely criticising the statementsof politicians who are trying to gloss over the truth or even deny obvious truths. Politicians in the UK and elsewhere are just as guilty of the same things but it doesn't mean that we should let them all continue with it without comment.

They are critical about the lies he is selling. Look this is Thailand they cant say anything bad about their country unless they really cant deny it. Its normal behavior of ministers. If they air bad news then they will catch flack.

But even a child can see this will affect tourism.

How do you know how many people are arriving in Thailand? Did immigration call you to report the arrivals? I doubt it. However, I bet the Ministry of Tourism does have access to this information. You guys are making assumptions and have no idea what you are talking about. You just assume no one will want to come to Thailand. Yes...it can have an effect on tourism but it is having no effect on the industry as a whole. People are still arriving as normal. They might change their plans. Instead of Bangkok this week they go to Chiang Mai and last week instead of Chiang Mai they went to Phuket. Who knows? The only fact is what is recorded in tourist arrivals in Thailand.

There is already a flood. It's bad news already. Who do you think would give them flack for saying tourism is down? There is no reason for the minister to be afraid to tell the truth.

Almost exactly. Natural disasters happen all the time, and the world does not shut down because of it. It will affect tourism in the sense that there will always be those fearful people who will change their minds the second the world doesn't quite spin the way they want it to. But overall, the flood, unless it gets much worse, will be a small factor. Something like a bombing or other overt fighting, or recession has a much larger impact.

Well, my friend was traveling from Malaysia to Thailand to Laos to China.

He WAS going to stop and visit with me last week, but based on the reports he was getting, and what he saw in Phuket, he decided to bypass the rest of Thailand altogether.

Hard to imagine he is the only one to do so.

What did he see in Phuket?

It does seem some the powers that be, appoint/hire those less intelligent than themselves. This may be due to to their not wanting competent competition in the public eye. When those doing the appointing/hiring are not the brightest as they were once appointed/hired, by like thinking folks, the downward spiral continues.

Spot on..thumbsup.gif

Don't look now but the esteemed person in charge of this portfolio is now conceding that the floods will impact tourism and unsurprisingly 'trips abroad are planned' to restore peoples image.

I would post the link from that other paper with the story - but lets just wait for the Nation to catch up.

Don't look now but the esteemed person in charge of this portfolio is now conceding that the floods will impact tourism and unsurprisingly 'trips abroad are planned' to restore peoples image.

I would post the link from that other paper with the story - but lets just wait for the Nation to catch up.

Minister Admits Flood Impact on Tourism

UPDATE : 18 October 2011

The tourism and sports minister admits that this year's tourist arrival target, originally set at 19 million, will have to be reviewed due to the ongoing floods.

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-acha said many countries have issued travel warnings, advising citizens to revise plans to travel to Thailand during the current flood crisis.

Chumpol admitted that the travel warnings, coupled with parts of major routes cut off by floods, have led to a drop in the number of tourists visiting Thailand.

However, tourist arrivals at the Suvarnabhumi Airport remain normal.

The minister noted that his ministry's tourist arrival target, originally set at 19 million for this year, will have to be reviewed.

Many tour operators have to postpone or modify tour schedules due to the flood damage to tourist attractions.

Chumpol added several agencies are working to launch a new campaign designed to promote tourism after the floods.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-18

footer_n.gif

For 3 years I have watched and listened and learned. I see stupidity, racism, bigotry and plain arrogance and ignorance on this site. Why dont all you Expats grow up and stop complaining and do something about your complaining about everything. THAIVISA YOU ARE NOT A POSITIVE focal point but an avenue for whining old expats who cant get their own lives sorted. We all know there are good Thais and not so good Thais, but have you really considered your own country where it seems everyone is amazing and can do no wrong. Just do something positive and make a great impact on your own lives an those around your or go back to your the amazing havens you have crawled from and have amazing lives once again,the rest of us who know what we are dealing with and make educated decisions will not miss you hazbeens and fools for more than a milli-second.

Yes Yes Yes we all know what you are talking about .... how about those so called experts who have been here for so many years stop complaining and be positive and help others. Tell us how you all manage to be so happy everyday here in Thailand (but cannot resit complaining constnatly - grow up you fools).

Thaivisa....tired of all the silly petty people on here who have nothing positive to add to our lives. Grow up and best of luck. wont read or log into Thaivisa again..this i a pool fools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Won't hurt tourism. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its all going to get very expensive.

For 3 years I have watched and listened and learned. I see stupidity, racism, bigotry and plain arrogance and ignorance on this site. Why dont all you Expats grow up and stop complaining and do something about your complaining about everything. THAIVISA YOU ARE NOT A POSITIVE focal point but an avenue for whining old expats who cant get their own lives sorted. We all know there are good Thais and not so good Thais, but have you really considered your own country where it seems everyone is amazing and can do no wrong. Just do something positive and make a great impact on your own lives an those around your or go back to your the amazing havens you have crawled from and have amazing lives once again,the rest of us who know what we are dealing with and make educated decisions will not miss you hazbeens and fools for more than a milli-second.

Yes Yes Yes we all know what you are talking about .... how about those so called experts who have been here for so many years stop complaining and be positive and help others. Tell us how you all manage to be so happy everyday here in Thailand (but cannot resit complaining constnatly - grow up you fools).

Thaivisa....tired of all the silly petty people on here who have nothing positive to add to our lives. Grow up and best of luck. wont read or log into Thaivisa again..this i a pool fools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An interesting mix of "I" and "we". "I've been here" and "We know".

Now back to the OP "Floods not hurting tourism". It only took a few days of conflicting statements for the Minister to admit 'not all to be well in the state of Thailand', tourist-wise that is. Who would have thought, as "all know" tourists like to play in and with water :)

'Try Thailand Water world for your holiday', a view of the ocean from your hotel, play on the water skis/boats, Visit the floating restaurants, play in the sand piles, trips to observe the swamp people/life etc. First cup of coffee and I feel the urge to offer my advertising thoughts for a new "hub" to any who might like to us it.

This year there is no major sports event abroad where one could freeload in the limelight wearing an absurd silk jacket, hence a roadshow to promote LOS as a safe destination despite the floods is absolutely essential. :lol:

'Try Thailand Water world for your holiday', a view of the ocean from your hotel, play on the water skis/boats, Visit the floating restaurants, play in the sand piles, trips to observe the swamp people/life etc. First cup of coffee and I feel the urge to offer my advertising thoughts for a new "hub" to any who might like to us it.

"Thailand make that wet dream your reality" book now :whistling:

Come on !!!!!

This guy was just doing his job, what he is supposed to, what he has to do. If he did anything else he might get canned. Public servants are expected to say this .... after tsunamis, after SARS, after coups, airport seizures, after goverment house, after burning and fighting in the streets of bangkok, after mystery deaths at Phi Phi Guest Houses, after mystery deaths in Chiang Mai Hotels, ......

ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC

You know it and I know it, so why don't you just lighten up. Poor bloke was just doing his job and he would have had to do that if Abhisit was still in power just as he is doing it know for Yingluck

I'm a tourist flying into Bangkok early next week from Canada. Or scheduled to, anyway. The lack of credible information on the flood situation from the government is INCREDIBLY frustrating.

Airport Pattaya -no probs--as is Sattahip to Samui, as is airport air asia to Udon Thai, or airport to Phuket. or even airport to Chiang Mai.

If you do not have to be in Bkk--Ayuttaya--or other affected rural areas, go to most places and as the tourism minister says it's not affecting tourism.

This year there is no major sports event abroad where one could freeload in the limelight wearing an absurd silk jacket, hence a roadshow to promote LOS as a safe destination despite the floods is absolutely essential. :lol:

At least there will be plenty of places to float your boat for Loy Krathong.

Come on !!!!!

This guy was just doing his job, what he is supposed to, what he has to do. If he did anything else he might get canned. Public servants are expected to say this .... after tsunamis, after SARS, after coups, airport seizures, after goverment house, after burning and fighting in the streets of bangkok, after mystery deaths at Phi Phi Guest Houses, after mystery deaths in Chiang Mai Hotels, ......

ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC

You know it and I know it, so why don't you just lighten up. Poor bloke was just doing his job and he would have had to do that if Abhisit was still in power just as he is doing it know for Yingluck

So why not change the name to Ministry of Propaganda?

• 2 weeks later...

Thaivisa....tired of all the silly petty people on here who have nothing positive to add to our lives. Grow up and best of luck. wont read or log into Thaivisa again..this i a pool fools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

"Cheating and corruption is the norm at all levels of society, and incompetency is the sum of our failings." Voranai Vanijaka, Thai journalist and university professor.

Bought grades, sold souls an all-access pass through the halls of higher learning

• Published: 2/01/2011 at 12:00 AM BKK post

I agree it seems there are many expats that complain a lot, but many also analyze events and situations in a logical way. Then there are the "everything Thai" worshiping expats that are so in love with the country that makes it possible to find relatively younger and slimmer female companionship. Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder I will leave out my personal opinion of many of those "women" and leave out the intellectual levels of many of them also. To each their own.

Its ok to analyze and comment but everyone should know that that is the "status quo" If society were to become like Japan the prices would also skyrocket.

Please enjoy the food, it is truly world class. There are some great Thai people I am proud to call my friends, and yes theres an ocean of people that frustrate me walking into me and blocking sidewalks, escalators, and apparently lacking the most basic of elemtary cognitive skills, low reliability, punctualty, organization, efficiency. That is not their personal fault, it is the system of education. Although there is a small % of brilliant people this is not the country to look for Nobel Laureates unlees of course the time comes when The Nobel Foundation adds a category for "cheating and corruption" ( JOKING of course)

"Cheating and corruption is the norm at all levels of society, and incompetency is the sum of our failings." Voranai Vanijaka, Thai journalist and university professor.

Bought grades, sold souls an all-access pass through the halls of higher learning

• Published: 2/01/2011 at 12:00 AM BKK post

I agree it seems there are many expats that complain a lot, but many also analyze events and situations in a logical way. Then there are the "everything Thai" worshiping expats that are so in love with the country that makes it possible to find relatively younger and slimmer female companionship. Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder I will leave out my personal opinion of many of those "women" and leave out the intellectual levels of many of them also. To each their own.

Its ok to analyze and comment but everyone should know that that is the "status quo" If society were to become like Japan the prices would also skyrocket.

Please enjoy the food, it is truly world class. There are some great Thai people I am proud to call my friends, and yes theres an ocean of people that frustrate me walking into me and blocking sidewalks, escalators, and apparently lacking the most basic of elemtary cognitive skills, low reliability, punctualty, organization, efficiency. That is not their personal fault, it is the system of education. Although there is a small % of brilliant people this is not the country to look for Nobel Laureates unlees of course the time comes when The Nobel Foundation adds a category for "cheating and corruption" ( JOKING of course)

Bangkok Flood: Latest News Confuses Prospective Travelers to Thailand

What is the situation really like in Bangkok? Many prospective travelers are utterly confused by the latest news out of the flood-stricken Thai capital. While the media shows pictures of complete devastation and the government teeters between assurances and dire warnings, many would-be tourists and concerned readers remain perplexed and often misinformed about the conditions on the ground in Bangkok.

A picture on Twitter that went viral this past week sums up the situation quite well. It showed a cameraman filming a television news anchor on a street beside Bangkok's Grand Palace, an iconic structure in the heart of the city. While river water has reportedly lapped at the palace gates, the flooding in the area is minimal. The picture showed the television news reporter on a street beside the palace in ankle-high water. On either side of the cameraman and reporter, the street was dry.

Continues:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/241311/20111101/bangkok-flood-latest-news-confuses-prospective-travelers.htm

International Business Times (IBT) - Nov. 1, 2011