80 Baht Spaghetti

INTJ

I always enjoy something to eat at the 80 baht spaghetti place on the way up to Jomtien, the place run by the old Italian guy, I think its called Noon Ristorante.

Usually I have carbonara, and a bottle of water. Cost 110 baht.

I stopped yesterday, had the same thing. The bill came for 145 baht. I called the waitress to explain the mistake. She explained I was the one mistaken. The carbonara has gone up from 100 baht to 130, and water from 10 baht to 15.

So overnight the food has gone up 30%, and water by 50%.

Seems like one hel_l of an increase. Also I noticed the place has had a refit, and, unusually, had a noticable lack of customers.

INTJ.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[qs ote=icecubes,2005-11-12 09:11:20]

Thats bad news, it was a nice cheep place to eat.

im sure it will only have half the customers now.

It used to be the second best job of the day, spaghetti at 80 baht a plate.

the first job of the day a cool beer at Jade down the bottom of the soi.

:o

It'a pity the prices have gone up but I still think it represents good VFM. I ate there about 3 days ago. We usually take some extras with us, like Mozzarella for the salad or some other cheese.

It's one of the few Italian restaurants in Thailand where the food actually tastes like does in Italy.

The house wine's OK too!

AND it's the only place I've ever come across here that stocks Averna Amaro!!!! Oh yeah! I lurve it!

Apparently the patron (he's from Turin) went home for medical reasons, but is back now.

without a doubt the best itallian restaurant with authentic imported itallian ingredients and a wood stove oven is "cico & pina Big Pizza"

you'll find them in naklua, 5 minutes walk up from dolphin circle and just past the open beer bars...look for the sign "Big Pizza"

they've just opened another restaurant in jomtien :o

they're not 80 baht but are very reasonable and the food is 1st class..

i love itallian food and have eaten all over italy, this place is the best in pattaya, 10 times better than the open italian restaurant on beach road and 50 times better than the italian/pizza place near view talay

once u eat at cicco & pina's u will be a repeat customer..their food is that good :D

agree...it sounds great value for money.

I have eaten in one of the supposedly top Italian restaurants in Pattaya and the food was poor compared to real Italian cuisine.....so if this elderly gentleman is producing authentic tasting Italian food at these prices then go support his business, he deserves it, and enjoy your meal :o

"My god, I't's gone up a whole 90 cents, wow"

No Mike, its gone up 30 baht. We don't use dollars and cents here in Thailand. 30 baht is the price of a good meal to the Thai in the street.

I didn't say it was expensive. Nor did I say I wouldn't eat there any more. What I said was "Seems like one hel_l of an increase".

My comment was for any commodity to increase in price 30-50% overnight is out of the ordinary, especially when inflation in Thailand is at a current high of 6%.

"Not exactly a big deal is it?"

Dave, why don't you increase all your drinks by 50% from tonight if its "no big deal", be sure to let us know how you get on.

after all, "People have got to earn a living!!!"

My turn to use the :o

INTJ.

"My god, I't's gone up a whole 90 cents, wow"

No Mike, its gone up 30 baht. We don't use dollars and cents here in Thailand. 30 baht is the price of a good meal to the Thai in the street.

I didn't say it was expensive. Nor did I say I wouldn't eat there any more. What I said was "Seems like one hel_l of an increase".

My comment was for any commodity to increase in price 30-50% overnight is out of the ordinary, especially when inflation in Thailand is at a current high of 6%.

Dave, why don't you increase all your drinks by 50% from tonight if its "no big deal", be sure to let us know how you get on.

My turn to use the  :D

INTJ.

Is it that much of a big deal to moan about it on the internet?

Maybe the ingredients went up italian stuff is'nt cheap or maybe the "cheaper" ingredients are'nt available?

Maybe he's doing it for high season?

If the refit is for a nicer place then why not put the prices up! (maybe he realised that it was only the tight ****ers that ate there :D:o )

:D

Haha thats a laugh on this forum, considering 99% of the topics here are total <deleted>.

I will be sure to consult you by PM first if I am considering posting, you can decide if it it a "big enough deal" to warrant a new thread.

"Maybe the ingredients went up italian stuff is'nt cheap or maybe the "cheaper" ingredients are'nt available?

If the refit is for a nicer place then why not put the prices up! "

Thanks for clearing things up for me Dave, I hadn't thought of those possible reasons.

Or maybe I am just a tight b'stard who begrudges paying an extra 90 cents for my meal. Who knows ?

Yawn.

INTJ.

Ahh yes percentages!

They can cause a lot of fuss over nothing :D

I'm sure that makes sense to somebody somewhere :o

INTJ.

for example I have 1 baht you have 2 baht you have 100% more than me but you still have only 1 baht more than me so percentages mean very little when talking within small rises....it`s the value that counts and the rise in total for your meal was 35baht...a small amount. :D

Haha thats a laugh on this forum, considering 99% of the topics here are total <deleted>.

Why do you post then?

I will be sure to consult you by PM first if I am considering posting, you can decide if it it a "big enough deal" to warrant a new thread.

OK from now on i will approve all of your posts :D

"Maybe the ingredients went up italian stuff is'nt cheap or maybe the "cheaper" ingredients are'nt available?

Thanks for clearing things up for me Dave, I hadn't thought of those possible reasons.

Thought so

Or maybe I am just a tight b'stard who begrudges paying an extra 90 cents for my meal. Who knows ?

Hmm.. as I already thought :o

Yawn.

INTJ.

Why do you post then?

OK from now on i will approve all of your posts :D

Thought so

Hmm.. as I already thought :o

Yawn.

INTJ.

Like I said, Yawn.

INTJ.

"

Nice one , always topical, cheep Chang i think last time. :o:D:D

No more cheap chang in my place :D

"

Nice one , always topical, cheep Chang i think last time. :D:D:D

No more cheap chang in my place :D

dave no cheap changs for me? :o

Maybe the ingredients went up italian stuff is'nt cheap or maybe the "cheaper" ingredients are'nt available?

If the refit is for a nicer place then why not put the prices up! (maybe he realised that it was only the tight ****ers that ate there :D  :o )

:D

For your information wise one.

Pattaya is growing but that is not to say any more people are coming here.

What is happening is more restaurants and more bars are opening this is

because more people want a slice of the shrinking pie.

So a good price structure is very important if you wish to be in town for a long time with your business especially if it’s on the outskirts of town.

But im sure you already know that. :D

Buy the way the place in question is nothing that special, just nice and cheap.

or it was.

Have a nice day. :D:D