Carlsberg Now Selling Bottled Beer In Thailand

webfact

Wow! Decent beer finally returns to Thailand! smile.gif

Heineken is a decent beer!!!!

You poor deluded fool. Its not even a good beer in Holland. Many better everywhere...except Thailand ....until now....

haha, i don't give a shit about how good it is in holland.... i like it

i didn't say it was the BEST beer in the world!!!

but heineken > carlsberg any day of the week

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Decent beer finally returns to Thailand! smile.gif

You poor deluded fool. Its not even a good beer in Holland. Many better everywhere...except Thailand ....until now....

haha, i don't give a shit about how good it is in holland.... i like it

i didn't say it was the BEST beer in the world!!!

but heineken > carlsberg any day of the week

I see where you are coming from but not in Thailand my friend....Heineken here is bad stuff...and yeah I've done the Heineken tour in Amsterdam more times than most being a cheap sweaty with short arms and long pockets. biggrin.gif

I see where you are coming from but not in Thailand my friend....Heineken here is bad stuff...and yeah I've done the Heineken tour in Amsterdam more times than most being a cheap sweaty with short arms and long pockets. biggrin.gif

i think it's alright in Thailand... and i've been to Amsterdam a few times myself!

and obviously it is better there, obviously....

All you guys complaining about rice and chemicals:

Wikipedia:

" Phuket Beer and Federbrau are the only Thai beers brewed according to the German purification laws or Reinheitsgebot;"

Phuket is probably the best beer in Thailand, but it's expensive and fairly hard to get hold of.

Federbrau (made by Chang) is cheaper than Heineken and sometimes even Singha, tastes a lot better and is available in many places

About 32 baht for a small can or bottle in TOPS, Big C Extra etc.

Big ones only in Family Mart (54baht) or 7-Eleven (65 baht).

But then again I drink Archa which they managed to push up from 30 baht a bottle to 39 baht in convenience stores mad.gif.

Wikipedia:

" Phuket Beer and Federbrau are the only Thai beers brewed according to the German purification laws or Reinheitsgebot;"

Phuket is probably the best beer in Thailand, but it's expensive and fairly hard to get hold of.

Federbrau (made by Chang) is cheaper than Heineken and sometimes even Singha, tastes a lot better and is available in many places

But then again I drink Archa which they managed to push up from 30 baht a bottle to 39 baht in convenience stores mad.gif.

What Phuket beer, Federbrau, Heinekin, and Carlsbad have in common is green bottles and a frequently skunky taste that comes from the beer being spoiled by being light-struck . It's that skunky taste that many people think is the hallmark of "good" beers. Put Leo in a green bottles and it would be just as excellent as Carlsberg.

Wikipedia:

What Phuket beer, Federbrau, Heinekin, and Carlsbad have in common is green bottles and a frequently skunky taste that comes from the beer being spoiled by being light-struck . It's that skunky taste that many people think is the hallmark of "good" beers. Put Leo in a green bottles and it would be just as excellent as Carlsberg.

wait.... what???

give me a leo any day of the week cool.gif

:blink:

They sold it before.Nothing special.Leo is better and cheaper.jap.gif

:wacko:

:sick:

I bet you guys wear socks under your sandals and enjoy listening to the Smiths, too. :giggle:

give me a leo any day of the week cool.gif

:blink:

They sold it before.Nothing special.Leo is better and cheaper.jap.gif

:wacko:

:sick:

I bet you guys wear socks under your sandals and enjoy listening to the Smiths, too. :giggle:

oh, tee-hee hee

whatever that analogy has got to do with liking different types of beer is beyond me!!!

you know why lots of people enjoy drinking heineken worldwide? because lots of people think that it tastes nice

i'm not going to ask what you like cos i'm not interested tbh

One third of Thailand disaster area - 32 replies

Revise the law only if it benefits society as a whole - 8 replies

Carlsberg now selling bottled beer in Thailand - 98 replies

" And now over to our on the spot reporter Dave Jenkins of local expat forum TVF for an update on the current flood crisis affecting large areas of Thailand. Dave, what are the latest casualty figures?"

" Well, I don't have the exact figures to hand at the moment but I can confirm one very important fact. Carlsberg are now selling bottled beer in Thailand. Back to you in the studio."

:D

Wikipedia:

Of course this is complete nonsense as beer is being transported in cartons and therefore should have no exposure to sunlight at all (I always shake my head when I see the Coke truck going around town with the PET-packs on top without a cover). Surely it won't get spoiled by the 2 Megawatts of fluorescent light in your local Family Mart?

Apart from UV light beer gets spoiled by heat but that would apply to the other brands too.

Try a Federbrau, it DOES taste completely different and comes very close to German or Czech beers (tastes a bit like Pilsner Urquell actually).

Edited by MaikB84

Tsingtao is an excellent beer and there are a few choices to be had. My favourite is the original bottle with the green label as opposed to Gold label which is a bit wishy washy to taste in my opinion.Tsingtao was first brewed by German settlers many moons ago in Quingdao, Shandong province, so it is a fact a German recipe and the quality of German beer goes without saying.

Snow (Gold label) is also a very good beer and just happens to be the biggest selling beer in the world.

Seems that you are in a minority.

Snow beer best selling drink in the world - doesn't mean it is a quality beer. Sole Market is China. Population of China = 1.3 Billion. Allowing for legal age drinkers thats still a lot of drinkers. If it were that good they would export it wouldn't they?

Well until it is exported you won't really know that will you unless you visit China. Just out of interest have you ever tasted Snow beer? I think that at some point it will follow Tsingtao into the export market.

Hey each to his own.

The Tsing Tao in Macau sells from the supermarket at $5 a long kneck bottle that is about 20 bhat compared to Leo at 43 bhat a long kneck bottle . Another thing about Tsing Tao is the stuff from Quingdao tastes better than the stuff from shenzen . How about Blue Girl , another Chinese beer , ?

Wikipedia:

wait.... what???

You'll notice that Heinekin tastes a lot different from a keg or from cans than from bottles. The green bottles giving the beer insufficient protection from light is the reason why. The green bottles are evidently good for marketing though.

Wikipedia:

Of course this is complete nonsense as beer is being transported in cartons and therefore should have no exposure to sunlight at all (I always shake my head when I see the Coke truck going around town with the PET-packs on top without a cover). Surely it won't get spoiled by the 2 Megawatts of fluorescent light in your local Family Mart?

Apart from UV light beer gets spoiled by heat but that would apply to the other brands too.

Try a Federbrau, it DOES taste completely different and comes very close to German or Czech beers (tastes a bit like Pilsner Urquell actually).

You can call it nonsense if you want but it's a fact that beer in green bottles is more commonly skunked than beer in brown bottles. The light exposure catalyzes a chemical reaction with the hops and some wavelengths of light do so more quickly than others. Pilsners and other light lagers can be very sensitive to this, though some more so than others. Some beers, such as Heineken, Carlsberg, and Becks are chronically skunked and yet customers accept it.

Edited by OriginalPoster

[

Pilsner Urquell is my favourite beer bar none. Does anyone know if this Federbrau is available in Chiang Mai?

Pilsner Urquell is my favourite beer bar none. Does anyone know if this Federbrau is available in Chiang Mai?

Yes it is. Saw it at Tesco Lotus in both cans and bottles.

I didn't say it doesn't happen. Green bottles are more likely to get a skunky taste if handled improperly. But I think in >99% of cases the beer is handled properly (to Thai standards) and perfectly fine. If you are so concerned about it getting spoiled I suggest to just buy it by the carton burp.gif.

But your earlier post suggested that it is just different packaging to make it look fancy. It's more than that. Just as another example: If you compare a Singha and a Leo they both come out of the same brewery, have the same alcohol content and have the same bottle colour yet Singha tastes better cause they use better hops or brewing processes. So, in case of Phuket beer or Federbrau, if you cut out the rice and all use premium European hops, don't add chemicals you can be assured that the beer will taste better and it's more than a marketing gimmick.

And I have never really noticed a difference between a German Pilsener in a brown bottle and one in a green bottle. How is that? Do they artificially add Skunk to the brown bottles?

I didn't say it doesn't happen. Green bottles are more likely to get a skunky taste if handled improperly. But I think in >99% of cases the beer is handled properly (to Thai standards) and perfectly fine. If you are so concerned about it getting spoiled I suggest to just buy it by the carton burp.gif.

But your earlier post suggested that it is just different packaging to make it look fancy. It's more than that. Just as another example: If you compare a Singha and a Leo they both come out of the same brewery, have the same alcohol content and have the same bottle colour yet Singha tastes better cause they use better hops or brewing processes. So, in case of Phuket beer or Federbrau, if you cut out the rice and all use premium European hops, don't add chemicals you can be assured that the beer will taste better and it's more than a marketing gimmick.

And I have never really noticed a difference between a German Pilsener in a brown bottle and one in a green bottle. How is that? Do they artificially add Skunk to the brown bottles?

A brown bottle does not give 100% protection from light either, it's just better than a green bottle.

I never meant to suggest that "it is just different packaging to make it look fancy". What I meant to suggest is that most people who debate the merits of various mass-market pale lagers are so clueless that they think that skunky is just how good beer is supposed to taste.

Edited by OriginalPoster

One third of Thailand disaster area - 32 replies

Revise the law only if it benefits society as a whole - 8 replies

Carlsberg now selling bottled beer in Thailand - 98 replies

" And now over to our on the spot reporter Dave Jenkins of local expat forum TVF for an update on the current flood crisis affecting large areas of Thailand. Dave, what are the latest casualty figures?"

" Well, I don't have the exact figures to hand at the moment but I can confirm one very important fact. Carlsberg are now selling bottled beer in Thailand. Back to you in the studio."

:D

:cheesy: But you have to report what matters. Drugs, beers, and girls. "One third of Thailand disaster area - 32 replies" Really what happened? I got pissed for a few weeks and have just come too.

A brown bottle does not give 100% protection from light either, it's just better than a green bottle.

I never meant to suggest that "it is just different packaging to make it look fancy". What I meant to suggest is that most people who debate the merits of various mass-market pale lagers are so clueless that they think that skunky is just how good beer is supposed to taste.

I just buy mine by the keg no problems of it getting spoiled, tip consume within 2 days of opening and no problems.

Edited by chooka

I import 14 kegs/month and is very popular US beer in pub that I own on Samui. Farangs like it because it reminds them of home.

The last place on earth I want to be reminded of is home.........strange concept, drinking beer on Samui in order to think about home.unsure.gif

I import 14 kegs/month and is very popular US beer in pub that I own on Samui. Farangs like it because it reminds them of home.

I think you mean it reminds Americans of home. Not all farangs are American. Drinking American beer doesn't actually remind me of sitting at the bar in Y&J's in Melbourne. :D no offence inteded my friend.

The lesson that Carlsberg has learned is never to trust a Chinese Thai business partner. After all they were screwed and robbed by Charoen from Beer Chang.

I gave a "subtle" hint in my own post, you named the "culprit" spot on. Chang is the direct result of Charoenphokphand screwing the Danes big time. Chang is basically just an altered version of Carlsberg, brewed with a bit more alcohol content by volume and made a little sweeter to suit local tastes. After the Danes had paid for practically all the infrastructure and got the marketing going the Thai-Chinese partners thought it was no longer necessary for them to pay the agreed royalties. They continued brewing Carlsberg on their own for a while after the split, but then Carlsberg went to court. I don't know the outcome, but it seems Charoen was ordered to stop marketing the beer under the Carslberg brand name, so they simply re-branded it into Chang and altered its taste somewhat. End of story - and another foreign company burned badly for trusting local business conglomerates too much.

Not wishing to be a picker of nits, BUT, I think you may have your Charoens crossed.

Charoenpokhpand Group owned by the Dhanin Cheravanont family, which in turn owns True Corp & 7/11 etc is a massive agribusiness.

Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, one of,if not the, richest men in Thailand, is the owner of Thai Bev the maker of, among many other brands, Chang Beer.

It is this Charoen that I believe the previous poster was referring to, since they had a business arrangement with the Danish brewery Carlsberg in the late 1990's which brought Carlsberg to Thailand.

Subsequent disagreements caused the birth of Chang beer and the demise of Carlsberg..

Interestingly the Bhirombhakdi family owns Boon Rawd, the brewer, for many generations, of Singha Beer.

Cheers ratcatcher

You are right, ratcatcher, and I stand corrected. I meant the Thai Bev Charoen, of course. Got confused with so many 'Charoen' around.

It's funny. The press release talks as if Thailand is a new market for Carlsberg without mentioning that they were forced out of the market by their former jv partner in classic Thai-Chinese style. There is also no mention of staring a new brewery here with another Thai jv partner, as required by the anachronistic Foreign Business Act. Maybe they will be sensible and wait till 2015 when they will be able to own 70% by using a subsidiary in an ASEAN country under the AEC agreement.

Carlsberg should set up a brewery, say, near Bangkok. Plenty of water.....