Carlsberg Now Selling Bottled Beer In Thailand

webfact

Carlsberg Steps Up Presence in Thailand

220px-Carlsberg_beer.jpg

Carlsberg is the 4th largest

brewery group in the world

employing around 45,000 people

Carlsberg is now selling bottled beer in Thailand. The company established an office in Bangkok in the summer 2011 in order to sell draught in bars and restaurants. The target was 150 outlets. The number is now being upgraded, the General Manager at Carlsberg Thailand, Mr. Jacob Vigsø Hermansen, told the online media, epn.dk.

Epn.dk tells that Carlsberg is now selling bottled beer in Thailand, bottles from Carlsberg´s brewery in Vietnam.

The increased activity in Thailand, the world´s 10th biggest beer market, shows in the organisation of the company. Until this summer, Thailand was a part of the export business in Carlsberg Copenhagen. Now Carlsberg Thailand is a part of Carlsberg Indochina together with countries as Vietnam and Cambodja.

The General Manager has been working with Carlsberg for the past nine years.

Source: http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?news_id=9636&coun_code=dk

-- scandasia.com 2011-10-12

footer_n.gif

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presumably falls under the free ASEAN trade agreement that was introduced last year. No import tax. :)

Although after agreeing such the Thais wanted to add a 'Health tax' on imported beers as they were causing health problems, but not local made beers. :rolleyes::bah:

Most beermakers in Thailand uses rice instead of barley to ferment and make the beer. Whatabout this one?Tiger

Actually, it's yeast that ferments beer -- the grains, when carefully heated properly are used to provide the enzymes and sugars required for the yeast to do its fermentation. Hops, of course, are what give beer its bitter quality.

I basically only drank Carlsberg when it was available years ago, and I was very sad to see it go. It never gave me a hangover (assuming i drank a reasonable amount) and had a consistently good flavour. It would be very nice to see it on the shelves again.

Most beermakers in Thailand uses rice instead of barley to ferment and make the beer. Whatabout this one?Tiger

But that isn't a problem, you can make nice beer adding some % of rice to the malt.

It can be done to make a light colored pils type beer.

The problem is, they work dirty, substandard without knowledge and use too much rice which they ferment with enzymes. Well and don't let it age properly.

It is not 1 problem they have it is a 100 different problems.

It's funny. The press release talks as if Thailand is a new market for Carlsberg without mentioning that they were forced out of the market by their former jv partner in classic Thai-Chinese style. There is also no mention of staring a new brewery here with another Thai jv partner, as required by the anachronistic Foreign Business Act. Maybe they will be sensible and wait till 2015 when they will be able to own 70% by using a subsidiary in an ASEAN country under the AEC agreement.

But that isn't a problem, you can make nice beer adding some % of rice to the malt.

The problem is, they work dirty, substandard without knowledge and use too much rice which they ferment with enzymes. Well and don't let it age properly.

Hey who cares if it's made of rice or what ever. if it's beer pass it over here.:burp:

Edited by softgeorge

I have a question. Does anyone know for sure any brewers who use rice 100% for brewing instead of Barley? I am coeliac (Gluten allergy) and would love a beer. As Barley contains gluten I can not drink beer. Sorry :offtopic: I know.

jb1

Presumably falls under the free ASEAN trade agreement that was introduced last year. No import tax. :)

Although after agreeing such the Thais wanted to add a 'Health tax' on imported beers as they were causing health problems, but not local made beers. :rolleyes::bah:

The Thai brewers has put a hold on that, still import tax.

You can buy beer lao in Makro, but it costs more than Heiniken.

Really? It's in Villa Market for 43thb for small bottle. iirc. Hardly expensive.

Isn't Heineken here brewed under license in Thailand (or SEA at least)?

Edited by hehehoho

I have a question. Does anyone know for sure any brewers who use rice 100% for brewing instead of Barley? I am coeliac (Gluten allergy) and would love a beer. As Barley contains gluten I can not drink beer. Sorry :offtopic: I know.

jb1

Without knowing I think it is impossible to make it 100% of rice. Do you definitely know that you can't drink beer?

Because there is a filtration process in good quality beer that removes most of the protein. More strongly done on Export Beers. There are some Heinekens (not these in Thailand) with almost no taste. They were an example of extreme removing of all proteins/larger molecules at University.

Are there any test sticks for testing food for gluten? If yes it would worth to try different beers.

Carlberg Steps Up Presence in Thailand

A few years ago they DID sell beer in Thailand. As far as 2000-2003, I have recently shopped for that. :)

that was a bit better Chang beer labeled as Carlsberg.

Really? It's in Villa Market for 43thb for small bottle. iirc. Hardly expensive.

Isn't Heineken here brewed under license in Thailand (or SEA at least)?

That makes 1032 baht for a case.

case of heineken costs 900 baht.

Heineken is produced under licence in Thailand.