Carlsberg Now Selling Bottled Beer In Thailand

webfact

Most beermakers in Thailand uses rice instead of barley to ferment and make the beer. Whatabout this one?Tiger

But that isn't a problem, you can make nice beer adding some % of rice to the malt.

It can be done to make a light colored pils type beer.

The problem is, they work dirty, substandard without knowledge and use too much rice which they ferment with enzymes. Well and don't let it age properly.

It is not 1 problem they have it is a 100 different problems.

I have a question. Does anyone know for sure any brewers who use rice 100% for brewing instead of Barley? I am coeliac (Gluten allergy) and would love a beer. As Barley contains gluten I can not drink beer. Sorry :offtopic: I know.

jb1

Without knowing I think it is impossible to make it 100% of rice. Do you definitely know that you can't drink beer?

Because there is a filtration process in good quality beer that removes most of the protein. More strongly done on Export Beers. There are some Heinekens (not these in Thailand) with almost no taste. They were an example of extreme removing of all proteins/larger molecules at University.

Are there any test sticks for testing food for gluten? If yes it would worth to try different beers.

Hi, I know for sure that I can not drink beers in the uk. It was when I saw rice mentioned I thought maybe?

I don't know of any test sticks. It is mainly trial and error. Which is not an good option. Luckily I have only been caught out here in nearly 4yrs. But that has been with food. Never mind can always buy Magners at 250bt a bottle?

Thanks any way.

jb1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny. The press release talks as if Thailand is a new market for Carlsberg without mentioning that they were forced out of the market by their former jv partner in classic Thai-Chinese style. There is also no mention of staring a new brewery here with another Thai jv partner, as required by the anachronistic Foreign Business Act. Maybe they will be sensible and wait till 2015 when they will be able to own 70% by using a subsidiary in an ASEAN country under the AEC agreement.

Yes, quite right - essential information for newbies and less-informed oldies. Carlsberg was brewed here in the 1990s until the parent company couldn't stand the way its Thai partner was behaving and quit the country. That should be an essential part of any news report about its new availability. Note that the beer is being imported from Vietnam, where Carlsberg presumably has a satisfactory working relationship. If it ever tries brewing in Thailand again, I'd be surprised. Once bitten, twice shy.

The beer brand is still IMPORTED, as the brewery is located in Vietnam. It is NOT a locally produced beer. The report also makes it look like this would be Carlsberg's debut in LOS. Not so. Carlsberg had established a brewery right here in Thailand well over a decade ago with a Thai joint venture partner, one of the most prominent breweries in the country. Carlsberg beer caught on nicely with consumers back then and became immensely popular. Needless to say that this success was soon afterwards (and as usual) reason enough for the local joint venture partner to dupe the Danish company out of business, causing it to lose millions of dollars in investment. THAT is the real story here, not that it is now possible to buy imported bottles of Carlsberg. The press release is entirely misleading. By the way: ever wondered how "Beer Chang" came into being? Think...

Edited by Misterwhisper

Would have to come from somewhere else (ie, Vietnam) as can't see them [the Thais] ever paying up royalties owed! Good news, though, Tiger is getting a bit long in the tooth. :rolleyes:

Edited by jackr

The beer brand is still IMPORTED, as the brewery is located in Vietnam. It is NOT a locally produced beer. The report also makes it look like this would be Carlsberg's debut in LOS. Not so. Carlsberg had established a brewery right here in Thailand well over a decade ago with a Thai joint venture partner, one of the most prominent breweries in the country. Carlsberg beer caught on nicely with consumers back then and became immensely popular. Needless to say that this success was soon afterwards (and as usual) reason enough for the local joint venture partner to dupe the Danish company out of business, causing it to lose millions of dollars in investment. THAT is the real story here, not that it is now possible to buy imported bottles of Carlsberg. The press release is entirely misleading. By the way: ever wondered how "Beer Chang" came into being? Think...

it's nice to read the real story, in this case, the return of a beer that was forced to quit by their Thai partners. I believe a similar situation almost occurred recently with Pepsico and their Thai partners.

It will be interesting to see which segment the beer sells in. certainly not in the Chang, Archa, Leo price range. Perhaps priced competitively with beer Singha?

Can anyone here list the foreign beers actually available in Thailand (especially Chiang Mai)?

No restaurant seems to carry anything but Leo, Chang, Singha and (piss) Heineken. I do not recall seeing in Tops supermarket on Huay Kaew any other beers than those.

What about all those excellent Japanese and Chinese beers?

German? Belgian? French?

Tnx.

Edited by blazes

Good news indeed.

The more the merrier in my opinion.

Are they making it here again then or is it imported?

import, if they make it here, it will be the same as all the other beers here. There are just a few factories which produce all the brands.

Can anyone here list the foreign beers actually available in Thailand (especially Chiang Mai)?

No restaurant seems to carry anything but Leo, Chang, Singha and (piss) Heineken. I do not recall seeing in Tops supermarket on Huay Kaew any other beers than those.

German? Belgian? French?

Tnx.

Take a look in the Rimping Supermarket near the Iron Bridge (by the Ping River). They have a few German and Belgian bottled beers, including a couple of excellent ones. But those have high prices (about 125 baht for 500ml of Paulaner or Weihenstehpaner; and something on order of 150 baht per 300ml for most of the Belgians) and for the most part are a style of beer that is not of interest to Carlsberg and Heineken drinkers.

Most beermakers in Thailand uses rice instead of barley to ferment and make the beer. Whatabout this one?Tiger

It's brewed in Vietnam. They use hops and barley in their beers.

Substitutes e.g rice/corn are heavily used in non premium beers. Examples are Leo and some Chang Beer.

German? Belgian? French?

Tnx.

Take a look in the Rimping Supermarket near the Iron Bridge (by the Ping River). They have a few German and Belgian bottled beers, including a couple of excellent ones. But those have high prices (about 125 baht for 500ml of Paulaner or Weihenstehpaner; and something on order of 150 baht per 300ml for most of the Belgians) and for the most part are a style of beer that is not of interest to Carlsberg and Heineken drinkers.

Thanks. Yes, those prices are a bit steep, but maybe once in a while, and cerainly better than paying 700-1400 for even French plonk red wine.

German? Belgian? French?

Tnx.

Thanks. Yes, those prices are a bit steep, but maybe once in a while, and cerainly better than paying 700-1400 for even French plonk red wine.

That store has a pretty good wine section also, though also at high prices as you note.

German? Belgian? French?

Tnx.

Never tasted or heard of any "excellent" chinese beer. The Asahi used to be quite good, but then changed for the worse. The price of a can of Asahi is now almost the same as Singha, which would mean it is made here.

Never heard of any "excellent" French beer, either.

Looking forward to drinking Carlsberg again.

case of heineken costs 900 baht.

Heineken is produced under licence in Thailand.

That equates to 37.5 baht per bottle at cost.

Just how do places sell it at Bt45 then ? Something is not right there.

I charge 80 for a bottle of Heiniken in my three bars.

German? Belgian? French?

Tnx.

Never tasted or heard of any "excellent" chinese beer. The Asahi used to be quite good, but then changed for the worse. The price of a can of Asahi is now almost the same as Singha, which would mean it is made here.

But you have heard of excellent Carlsberg beer?

BTW. the Asahi that is sold in Thailand might be Japanese in name but it is brewed in Thailand.

"Never tasted or heard of any "excellent" chinese beer. The Asahi used to be quite good, but then changed for the worse. The price of a can of Asahi is now almost the same as Singha, which would mean it is made here.

Looking forward to drinking Carlsberg again."

Tsingtao Beer has a pleasant aroma and a well-balanced taste

Tsingtao is produced with spring water from Laoshan, a mountain area famous throughout China for the purity of its water. Tsingtao ingredients include the highest quality hops, as well as the finest yeast and barley imported from Australia and Canada.

Try that one ... I used to drink gallons of it when in Hong Kong :burp:

Alcohol Content: 3.8% alcohol by weight, 4.8% alcohol by volume

Calorie Content: 157 calories per 12-ounce serving

Fat Content: 0 gm.

Original Gravity:

11.0 degrees Plato

Edited by MickA

German? Belgian? French?

Tnx.

Well Asahi in Thailand is made in Thailand...so the same dirty.

Never tried the Original.

The lesson that Carlsberg has learned is never to trust a Chinese Thai business partner. After all they were screwed and robbed by Charoen from Beer Chang.

I gave a "subtle" hint in my own post, you named the "culprit" spot on. Chang is the direct result of Charoenphokphand screwing the Danes big time. Chang is basically just an altered version of Carlsberg, brewed with a bit more alcohol content by volume and made a little sweeter to suit local tastes. After the Danes had paid for practically all the infrastructure and got the marketing going the Thai-Chinese partners thought it was no longer necessary for them to pay the agreed royalties. They continued brewing Carlsberg on their own for a while after the split, but then Carlsberg went to court. I don't know the outcome, but it seems Charoen was ordered to stop marketing the beer under the Carslberg brand name, so they simply re-branded it into Chang and altered its taste somewhat. End of story - and another foreign company burned badly for trusting local business conglomerates too much.

"Never tasted or heard of any "excellent" chinese beer. The Asahi used to be quite good, but then changed for the worse. The price of a can of Asahi is now almost the same as Singha, which would mean it is made here.

Looking forward to drinking Carlsberg again."

Tsingtao Beer has a pleasant aroma and a well-balanced taste

Tsingtao is produced with spring water from Laoshan, a mountain area famous throughout China for the purity of its water. Tsingtao ingredients include the highest quality hops, as well as the finest yeast and barley imported from Australia and Canada.

Try that one ... I used to drink gallons of it when in Hong Kong :burp:

Alcohol Content: 3.8% alcohol by weight, 4.8% alcohol by volume

Calorie Content: 157 calories per 12-ounce serving

Fat Content: 0 gm.

Original Gravity:

11.0 degrees Plato

The water is not important (it will be so heavily treated that it is not important if it is good spring water or Thailand Klong water. The hops and the malt is important and how the process runs, everything clean and exact on temperature and correct agein, cool and long (instead of warm and short). Than filtered sterile (and not heated or even worse sterilized inside the bottle which was done before, maybe still in Thailand??). And of course without all the nice chemical help that help mask any problems.

German? Belgian? French?

Tnx.

That store has a pretty good wine section also, though also at high prices as you note.

Rimping has been selling assorted wines from many countries at 1000baht for 3 bottles,including 1 ltr flasks....some of them have been good.

Carlberg Steps Up Presence in Thailand

A few years ago they DID sell beer in Thailand. As far as 2000-2003, I have recently shopped for that. :)

that was a bit better Chang beer labeled as Carlsberg.

Dunno, I just remember that I was shopping for "Carlsberg" those days....and now here we go again.

BTW, anyone knows where they hide "Thai beer" (or "Beer Thai", I forgot)? Also gone for a few years now....that was somehow not a bad one...

Edited by alexakap