Air Asia Experiences

Bangkok Barry

If you fly cheap airlines, that's what to expect.

As a retired airline pilot I'll stick to Thai Aw. for safety reasons, better safe than sorry. :o

Is there any particular reason you think Thai AW is safer and better than any other? just curious.

I've been flying with NW, AA & Lufthansa but think its time for a change since their services are terrible. I'm thinking may be Thai AW might be a better choice?

Not safer than other major airlines, and some of the budget airlines as well, I'm just choosing the national carrier as a matter of choice, and in my mind the safest around, but then I use them all the way from Copenhagen for the service.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On average Thai experiences a fatal incident about every five years (fatalities:pax in bold);

04.27.1980  Thai Airways  Hawker Siddeley HS-748  40:53

Don Muang, Thailand  HS-THB 

04.15.1985  Thai Airways  Boeing 737-2P5  11:11

Phuket, Thailand  HS-TBB 

08.31.1987  Thai Airways  Boeing 737-2P5  83:83

Phuket, Thiland  HS-TBC 

07.31.1992  Thai Airways  Airbus A310-304  113:113

Kathmandu, Nepal  HS-TID 

12.11.1998  Thai Airways  Airbus A310-204  101:146

Surat Thani, Thailand  HS-TIA 

Northwest has a way better record, despite being much larger:

12.01.1974  Northwest Orient  Boeing 727-251  3:3

Stony Point, New York  N274US

08.16.1987  Northwest Airlines  McDonnell Douglas MD-82  154:155 + 2

Romulus, Michigan (Detroit Airport)  N312RC 

12.03.1990  Northwest Airlines  McDonnell Douglas DC-9-14  8:44

Romulus, Michigan, USA (Detroit)  N3313L

Similar for Lufthansa:

11.20.1974  Lufthansa  Boeing 747-130  59:157

Nairobi, Kenya  D-ABYB 

09.14.1993  Lufthansa  Airbus A320-111  2:70

Warsaw, Poland  D-AIPN

Source: airdisaster.com

cv

Used to be a great website amigoingdown.com, punch in rt, plane type, airline, date and it gave you probability of the flight going down. Not sure what happened to it, but I liked it.

On average Thai experiences a fatal incident about every five years (fatalities:pax in bold);

Phuket, Thailand  HS-TBB 

Phuket, Thiland  HS-TBC 

Kathmandu, Nepal  HS-TID 

Similar for Lufthansa:

Nairobi, Kenya  D-ABYB 

Warsaw, Poland  D-AIPN

cv

Used to be a great website amigoingdown.com, punch in rt, plane type, airline, date and it gave you probability of the flight going down. Not sure what happened to it, but I liked it.

very nice. After all these years of flying I still can't seem to get used to the idea of "plane crash with me on it" :D .. wonder why :o

Phuket, Thailand  HS-TBB 

Phuket, Thiland  HS-TBC 

Kathmandu, Nepal  HS-TID 

Similar for Lufthansa:

Nairobi, Kenya  D-ABYB 

Warsaw, Poland  D-AIPN

cv

You picked Thai and a few other airlines, what about the remaining airlines flying to Thailand ?

My partner and I flew Thai Air Asia last weekend to Macau. On 12 November we had the 10.05 flight from BKK. As an aviation enthusiast I liked the chance of flying a new airline; see what they are like.

Check-in was chaotic. Many people didn't seem to understand what to do next after receiving their boarding passes. No seats assigned. We did get a sequence number, but boarding wasn't done according to sequence. In my opinion, if you arrive early at the airport and the airline doesn't assign seats, you should at least get the opportunity to pick a good seat on the plane. That's how EasyJet and Ryanair do it and it works fine.

The flight itself was uneventful, the cabin crew was OK.

On 14 November we would have the evening flight back to BKK, at 20.45. The plane landed on time, but the departure was delayed. The ground handling people couldn't tell for how long. After more than an hour, without any announcements made, we walked up to them and they said the plane had engine problems and Air Asia would MAYBE fly another plane in from BKK. But it hadn't left Thailand yet so it would take at least another four hours before we could leave.

I have no problem with waiting, but my partner has a bad back and can't hang around that long. Besides, by that time she lost confidence in the airline and simply refused to fly them again... Air Macau having stopped flights to BKK, we had no other choice than sleep in a hotel and next day go to Hong Kong by boat to catch a flight from there, which turned out to be Cathay Pacific (excellent service, by the way). I wrote Air Asia an email about what happened and am waiting for a reply.

I cannot say yet whether Air Asia is good or bad, after just one flight, but I wasn't very impressed with them this first time. I have flown much better low-cost carriers in Europe, Vueling of Spain being the best. I would certainly fly Air Asia again to an interesting destination for a nice price, but I'm afraid I won't get my partner on that flight...

You picked Thai and a few other airlines, what about the remaining airlines flying to Thailand ?

I picked the ones the previous poster was talking about. All others are listed at airdisasters.com

cv

I think the website you refer to is www.airdisasters.co.uk

All I get at airdisasters.com is a domain 4 sale site.

The reasons given for the crash are very interesting.There is even a couple of cases of "pilots shot".I'm guessing the hijackers weren't the brightest.

Also quite a few planes just "shot down" over Africa.

All in all not the best website to browse if you are intending on doing some air travel.

Very surprising that Phillipine air dont have too many smashes.I remember a flight from Manila to Puerto Princessa on some ancient filthy prop plane.Serious oil leaks from the engines went unnoticed by the 12 year old looking captains pre flight walkround. The lovely young female Philipino teacher sat next to me asked if she could hold me hand as she was so scared.Luckily she didnt let go till landing.A couple of weeks later a P.A. 737 plowed into Samal island(no runway or roads) just after we arrived back at Davao.

Not surprisingly we elected to leave the Phillies on a 3 day cargo ship to Bitung,Sulawesi rather than gamble with a flight again.

I flew to Singapore a few weeks ago and I loved the cramped bus ride to the plane and the way the asians run to the front of the plane. Seat numbers are best and departure was late 25 minutes but pilot said he would make up 10 minutes in the air. Oh I sat last seat on the end,it had a crack on the window that made me nervous (no I didn't report it). I flew back Jetstar (new plane) and the Captain was an Aussie gal. I am sure there are not many girl pilots. Don't fly Air Asia, yes they look too cheap but I think they don't care. I was not surprised to see Phuket Air being banned from EU air space. Reason : slow and disorganised. And with Thai Intl in debt they all need to improve or suffer, competition is everywhere.

My experience was about what I expected. It in a way reminded me of a Jerry Lewis movie that the person at the check in was also the person at the plane. With the price of jet fuel one has to wonder how much money is around for maintenance at the low prices they charge. The flight was late by regular time but on time by Thai time. The return landing was a bit hard but again about what I expected. I wonder if the FAA has any information on them? Even that they do not fly to the USA I am sure they have made some notes that may not be available unless you ask for them.

My experience was about what I expected. It in a way reminded me of a Jerry Lewis movie that the person at the check in was also the person at the plane. With the price of jet fuel one has to wonder how much money is around for maintenance at the low prices they charge. The flight was late by regular time but on time by Thai time. The return landing was a bit hard but again about what I expected. I wonder if the FAA has any information on them? Even that they do not fly to the USA I am sure they have made some notes that may not be available unless you ask for them.

The price of jet fuel doesn't really come into it, look at how much 'fuel surcharge' you're paying. I flew to Penang and back in July and the fuel surcharge was more than the flight! After you add all the 'extras' on it makes the 699bt or whatever price look a bit sick, my 699bt one way ticket actually cost me about 1800bt. Still cheap compared with Thai Airways but a bit of a con for, at best, a so so service.

Phuket, Thailand  HS-TBB 

Phuket, Thiland  HS-TBC 

Kathmandu, Nepal  HS-TID 

Seems like they are overdue......

Phuket, Thailand  HS-TBB 

Phuket, Thiland  HS-TBC 

Kathmandu, Nepal  HS-TID 

I wouldn't count on that, I feel pretty safe when I board a TG flight.

As a retired airline pilot I'll stick to Thai Aw. for safety reasons, better safe than sorry. :D

Since you consider Air Asia unsafe; what about Nokair; are they safer ?

They are cheap airline but lease their aircrafts from Thai Airways International. They say their aircraft complies with the same safety standard of Thai Airways International PCL. But still cheap. Cheap and safe conflicting ?

jaha :o

As a retired airline pilot I'll stick to Thai Aw. for safety reasons, better safe than sorry. :D

Since you consider Air Asia unsafe; what about Nokair; are they safer ?

They are cheap airline but lease their aircrafts from Thai Airways International. They say their aircraft complies with the same safety standard of Thai Airways International PCL. But still cheap. Cheap and safe conflicting ?

jaha :o

I didn't say Air Asia was unsafe, I just stated my preferrence for Thai, I would fly Nok Air or Air Asia but not Phuket Air.

Personally, I’ve had enough of them.

I agree. I've tested Air Asia on BKK/Chiang Mai end of october.

On this line, I flew before with Thai Airways and Nok Air.

The purpose was : to test another airline.

Bilan :

-they use buses to convoy passengers to the airplane, from a very remote gate number, in the terminal. I hate this, since the whole process is long and boring.

Nok Air has the tunnel. Thai also of course.

-delay of course, delay even in Chiang Mai for the return (how is it possible to be late in such a small airport ?)

-plane : a strange 737 with "plastic" (i doubt it was leather) seats, black color.

voila. Nok Air is a little bit more expensive. My choice is made : next time it will be Nok Air.

Bilan :

-they use buses to convoy passengers to the airplane, from a very remote gate number, in the terminal. I hate this, since the whole process is long and boring.

-delay of course, delay even in Chiang Mai for the return (how is it possible to be late in such a small airport ?)

-plane : a strange 737 with "plastic" (i doubt it was leather) seats, black color.

voila. Nok Air is a little bit more expensive. My choice is made : next time it will be Nok Air.

NOK AIR is THAI Airways!!....its their subsiduary to pick up the cheap ticket market. Some flights are the same plane....just sat in a different place.

I worked as a Pilot for a long time for a UK carrier....high safety standards....as has Thai Airways. The others just need a careful look at where they cut corners....engineering is unlikely..... they save money and offer cheaper prices by:

- operating from cheaper airports

- "tankering" in cheaper fuel

- operating older aircraft which have a lower lease cost....not necessarily unsafe...just older and less comfortable

- carrying goods in the hold at a better rate

- paying their staff less

- operating absolutely legal minimum cabin staff; its 1 per 50 passengers or 1 per exit door on a widebody jet as a norm...rules differ

- not adding the goodies...like food!!...it costs them more than you might think

- taking the less popular flight "slots", which are cheaper to them

- less advertising and marketing

- etc etc

If you do not care about the above...and just want to get A to B.... go for it. For the marginal cost difference personally I would go Thai or Nok, schedule permitting

Bilan :

All the ones I have flown had brown real leather seats. Nice seats, but too close together.

I flew to Macau on Air Asia. Two and a half hours late leaving Bangkok. Once started the flight was OK, but 30 baht for a water seemed sort of steep.

On the way back the check in was not well run as most of the flight is PRC tour groups, and the persons in the front of the lines (2 lines) were checking in 30 people each. I was thrid in line and it took 30 minutes to get to the front.

The flight back was late, but only 30 minutes or so. Also they give seat assignments in Macau and I was in the middle. Right when the flight landed the gentlemen from the PRC who was seated near the window was trying to climb over me to get into the clogged isleway, for some unknown reason.

Also the prices sound fine until you see all the add ons, the 2000 baht ticket is suddenly 3400 baht.

Right when the flight landed the gentlemen from the PRC who was seated near the window was trying to climb over me to get into the clogged isleway, for some unknown reason.

That sounds very familiar. I'm always amazed about how people behave themselves in airports and airplanes.

First they try to get on the plane first, even with assigned seating.

After landinf, various times I've seen people get up and try to get to the door first, even while we were stil taxiing.

Right when the flight landed the gentlemen from the PRC who was seated near the window was trying to climb over me to get into the clogged isleway, for some unknown reason.

That sounds very familiar. I'm always amazed about how people behave themselves in airports and airplanes.

First they try to get on the plane first, even with assigned seating.

After landinf, various times I've seen people get up and try to get to the door first, even while we were stil taxiing.

Everytime I land at a Chinese airport some wad gets up and starts gathering luggage out of the overhead bin between the time the rear and front gear touch down. :o

cv

Phuket, Thailand  HS-TBB 

Phuket, Thiland  HS-TBC 

Kathmandu, Nepal  HS-TID 

I wouldn't count on that, I feel pretty safe when I board a TG flight.

And I am sure Taksin had the same idea when he was making his way to the TG737 that subsequently blew up on the tarmac just before his arrival for his flight to Chiang Mai - all down to faulty aircon unit or something similar :o

But seriously, I fly TG very often and have no real qualms with their safety however I have an opinion to steer clear of smaller aircraft and wherever possible fly 747/777/A340/A330 for the simple reason that I would assume an airline is not going to give the job of flying their largest (and most expensive) jets to the most junior pilot (except Korean and China airlines of course).

Where do you get the info that Korean and China Airlines puts inexperienced pilots on their heavies?

cv

It was tongue in cheek - proportionately they lose more of their 747's than other airlines. From memory I think China Airlines have lost 3 and Korean 5. Not many airlines have lost 1 747 let alone more than 1 - therefore in my book it stands to reason, airlines on the whole put more experienced pilots on 747's than 737 - not least of all because salary scales for 747 pilots are higher on most carriers than for a pilot of say a 737 or smaller jet. However can the same be said of China Airlines & Korean - who knows. Most airline crashes involve small aircraft of course, because they undertake more flights and of course take offs and landings but the figures for most carriers indicate that crashes on 747's are very rare and fatalities on those 747's relatively smaller.

For a round trip from CM to BK they are 120 baht cheaper than Nok Air, (well they were last Friday.)

For the saving you can expect:

To be delayed

To have to travel round both airports in a bus for God knows how long

Disinterested, unfreindly staff

Dodgy looking old planes with pilots to match

But on the plus side you get a packet of peanuts : :o

I would NEVER fly Air Asia except in an emergency, Thai are far more expensive for the same trip, but again you get the Don Muang Bus Tour.

Give me Nok anytime--(or her sister, but dont tell the Wife :D )

TP

Where do you get the info that Korean and China Airlines puts inexperienced pilots on their heavies?

cv

It was tongue in cheek - proportionately they lose more of their 747's than other airlines. From memory I think China Airlines have lost 3 and Korean 5. Not many airlines have lost 1 747 let alone more than 1 - therefore in my book it stands to reason, airlines on the whole put more experienced pilots on 747's than 737 - not least of all because salary scales for 747 pilots are higher on most carriers than for a pilot of say a 737 or smaller jet. However can the same be said of China Airlines & Korean - who knows. Most airline crashes involve small aircraft of course, because they undertake more flights and of course take offs and landings but the figures for most carriers indicate that crashes on 747's are very rare and fatalities on those 747's relatively smaller.

I just looked it up and you're right about Korean. 5 747 airframe losses (to be fair, one was shot down), 4 of them with fatalities.

I'll stick with Asiana when needed inflight Korean food. :o

Only 2 accidents on record, and only one of those with fatalities.

cv

Interesting fact;

For all the Airbus A-330s and A-340s in use around the world there's never been a single fatality on either aircraft with the exception of a test flight by Airbus itself. The only ones ever to crash them have been Air France. :o

cv