Cat Food

One of my cats has a very bad coat loss and dry flaky skin. Tablets from the vet didnt appear to improve matters. So I researched on the internet and found

That Fish is NOT a good food...too much pottassium for cats and especialy Tuna. Advise is to feed fish only 2-3 times a aweek

Well,I know that we think that cats love fish and of course milk,but it seems that both aint good...lactose in the milk is indegestable

I had also decided Not to use dry food anymore...full of unnessesay carbohyrdates from cereals and low in nessesary fats,also can give kidney problems however much water is drunk.

Wet foods only then.

Problem is that all the tinned cat foods here are FISH and the dog foods contain crap meat by products, and of course a lot of cereal.

So after further internet searches I now only feed my own make food....mainly Chicken.

I found that at Big C I can get chicken meat from the side of the bird for 75 baht/kilo,so I cook it up with a garlic clove,process in the food mixer with some crushed multi vitamin tablets and olive oil The cats love it and the cat with hairloss is growing hair and is much more lively.

Chances are that this way of feeding is also cheaper.

So its goodby to Whiskas .

Edited by gennisis

Actually not too big of a surprise if you look at what cats eats in the wild. That's hardly any fish, but mostly other little creatures like bird species, mice etc.

Giving the cat mostly chicken chest can result in nutrient lacks, btw. Plus that it doesn't contain bones, and thus hardly any calcium.

I would vary the diet more.

I don't know links to cooked food diets for cats (suppose if you google you can find it). One link to a raw food diet is: http://www.rawfedcats.org/ You may get an idea there for what to feed your cat, even when you prefer to keep on cooking the food. :)

Dogs, and especially cats, are sensitive to garlic,

Unfortunately, they do not know specifically what dosage causes problems, and it is not yet completely known what breeds and age groups are most sensitive to this toxicity.

What is known is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets.

An occasional small amount, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem.

Go eay on the garlic

Have you tried using Coconut oil for the hair loss? very good for the cats coat and maybe prevent heavy loss after a few apps.

Yes.tried Coconut Oil in her food but she wasnt keen.I also rub the oil into the bare skin,,,she licks it off !!...Cats

Dogs, and especially cats, are sensitive to garlic,

Unfortunately, they do not know specifically what dosage causes problems, and it is not yet completely known what breeds and age groups are most sensitive to this toxicity.

What is known is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets.

An occasional small amount, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem.

Go eay on the garlic

I only used a small clove in 1 kg of meat...dont think that will do any harm.

Actually not too big of a surprise if you look at what cats eats in the wild. That's hardly any fish, but mostly other little creatures like bird species, mice etc.

Giving the cat mostly chicken chest can result in nutrient lacks, btw. Plus that it doesn't contain bones, and thus hardly any calcium.

I don't know links to cooked food diets for cats (suppose if you google you can find it). One link to a raw food diet is: http://www.rawfedcats.org/ You may get an idea there for what to feed your cat, even when you prefer to keep on cooking the food. :)

Yes...was aware that calcium would be a problem,so I intend to grind up some of the small wings and add to the mix.Was also thinking of adding some butter.Lactose shouldnt be a problem with this because most of the lactose in milk occurs in the liquid and not the cream.

The internet has a hell of a lot of info on home made foods. Think I prefer to cook rather than feed raw.Using little water I wont be losing much nutrients and the juices are mixed back into the feed.The multi vit tablets should cover anything lacking in the chicken.

Yes...was aware that calcium would be a problem,so I intend to grind up some of the small wings and add to the mix.Was also thinking of adding some butter.Lactose shouldnt be a problem with this because most of the lactose in milk occurs in the liquid and not the cream.

The internet has a hell of a lot of info on home made foods. Think I prefer to cook rather than feed raw.Using little water I wont be losing much nutrients and the juices are mixed back into the feed.The multi vit tablets should cover anything lacking in the chicken.

I have now read that if you boil up the bones and add a couple of teaspoons of vinegar or lemon juice to make the water acid,this leaches out the minerals...would save in grinding up the bones!

Ah, bone broth. Of course. Duhhh, me! :(

Makes me hungry, looking at these sites: http://www.google.com/search?q=bone+broth&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

And as I'm not feeling too great today, I very well go and make myself a bone broth ....

.... ahum, that is ... tell my maid to make it (I'm a total disaster where it comes to cooking) :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reminder. :jap:

Don't keep your cat on a soft food diet alone, they need hard things to keep their teeth clean, same as dogs. Cats eating wild birds and rodents would get that off the bones but by processing everything you are making it very soft and the teeth will not keep clean.