Reporting of alien's residence

Amazing the info you find on this web-site!  So I just discovered that because I am renting a condo from a Thai citizen, this must be reported to the relevant authorities within 24 hours of taking up occupancy. (Oops..missed out on that one by 6 weeks then...)

Is this really required? I rent a condo but am not resident in BKK (I use this condo 2 times a month because it's cheaper than paying for a good hotel....).  Will I be deported for failing to report this?! Or will the Thai guy I rent it from be hung up by his toes??  I think I need to know!

Cheers

Simon

Yes, in theory one is supposed to report to the authorities every 90 days.

The reality is a little bit different. I've been here going on three years and have never done the 90 reporting thing. Well, okay, I have, but it has been once a year at the immigration office. Basically, they had me do it retroactively. So, I sat there in immigration and filled out a few 90 day notifications right there in the immigration office and I was good for the previous year.

I know I'm playing with fire, but what can I do? As far as I know, my employer is supposed to facilitate these things, but they never do.

This is the kind of thing though that will only be a problem if you get into serious trouble. You probably would not get deported for not doing it. However, it would just compound other troubles you might have if you broke the law.

Best advice: Do it.

OK - I can understand that if I live and work in Thailand, then it's important to do a 90 day reporting.  But I don't live in the country and I don't work!  I visit BKK every fortnight to see my girlfriend and stay in this rented apartment. So my concern is whether I legally have to report this apartment rental, and/or whether I am at risk of damaging my (current), clean reputation if I don't report it.

And how do you report it?  My interpretation of the note on this website is that is is only necessary to write to the relevant government office to report this, and not actually necessary to visit in person. (I want to avoid spending my valuable time in BKK down at a government office instead of spending it with my GF!)

Cheers

Simon

Amazing the info you find on this web-site!  So I just discovered that because I am renting a condo from a Thai citizen, this must be reported to the relevant authorities within 24 hours of taking up occupancy. (Oops..missed out on that one by 6 weeks then...)

Is this really required? I rent a condo but am not resident in BKK (I use this condo 2 times a month because it's cheaper than paying for a good hotel....).  Will I be deported for failing to report this?! Or will the Thai guy I rent it from be hung up by his toes??  I think I need to know!

Cheers

Simon

It's your landlords problem and responsibility to report that an alien stays in his condo. That's the "Reporting of Aliens Residency" and is something compeltely different from the 90 days report of address.

When you enter the country you already report your address in Thailand on the arrival TM card, so you don't need to do anything if you are staying less than 90 days in one journey.

We seem to be talking apples and oranges here.  The 90 day report is for people here on extended visas and is not what you are concerned about.  The person housing a foreigner is required by law to report that to the authorities but don't believe it is enforced except for hotels.  At any rate don't believe it is your problem.  Stay away from those web sites. :o