Thaksin Suggests Bartering Farm Produce For Water Management Expertise

webfact

Thaksin Suggests Bartering Farm Produce for Water Management Expertise

Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has given an interview in Dubai, admitting that the Phue Thai-led government has been suffering from a decline in its popularity due to the current flood situation.

During a recent interview in Dubai, former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra claimed that the current flood situation in Thailand is the worst disaster of its kind ever.

Thaksin also said he has advised the government to invest in an integrated water management system in order to bring a permanent solution to the flood and drought problems.

The former premier added that he has not been discussing politics with his sister, current Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, as she is occupied with the flood relief effort.

Again, Thaksin urged the government to expedite a project, which could store water during the rainy season and release the water for irrigation in times of drought.

In any case, he pledged that he will take this up with Yingluck.

Thaksin also said the government may not have to spend cash on such project, but instead could barter Thai agricultural products with countries that have expertise in water management, particularly China and some countries in the Middle East.

Moreover, Thaksin offered praise for the Democrat Party for helping the government to carry out the flood relief effort.

He said this is a significant and positive sign for the country, which has been going through extreme political division.

The former prime minister believes that despite ideological differences, all the people can work together for the country.

Thaksin asserted that the current government is supported by all related state and private agencies, especially the armed forces.

He relented that due to the current devastating flood, the government will have to work hard to regain its popularity by initiating a speedy reconstruction after the disaster has passed.

In any case, Thaksin expressed confidence that Yingluck will be able steer the country through this time of crisis.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-13

footer_n.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't he have some ungodly amount money? Why don't he pony it up for better developing the system, that he DIDN'T develop when he had a chance to. Put your money where your mouth is Thaksin. (How about a LARGE donation for the efforts of flooding) If you can't then stay out of the countries business!!! Your an ass!

How nice that he will advise the PM on all of this.....how nice that he can commend the Democrats on helping to 'soap the country ploblem'

What a pity the advice is entirely insincere, completely self serving and of no actual use to anyone, since it is really really stupid. About as dumb as the idea of giving CP chickens for fighter jets proposed when TRT had run the country out of cash back in 2004; around the time that TRT were caught lying about the chicken flu crisis that they attempting to cover up to the EU.

If only we had Jakapop Penkair acting as his spokesman, it would be like old times, with nonsensical advice reported as news, and very real problems completely denied as a media conspiracy. Oh, the good old years, when all NGOs were evil, media were lapdogs, democracy was not a goal, and there was a hub for everything.

Edited by steveromagnino

I totally understand Thaksin's frustration. The pain of being tempoarily out of the limelight must be unbearable. How irritating that the focus is on the floods, and the irrelevant displaced peasants. I wish the country could focus on the real struggle. By that I mean returning the rest of the good Dr's cash, overturning those pesky court cases against him, and making him a heavy-metal hat and gaudy chair.

Every day I live without Thaksin's great leadership is just a wasted day. Come back, oh saviour of democracy and freedom.

Like the other poster said. Its the democrats fault for calling an election when it was obvious to everyone that just 3 months down the line Thailand would be flooded. lol

odd - so the farmers will give free rice in this barter project?

Surely even if the govt does barter, they still have to pay $$$ for the rice etc.

What's the point again?

Oh, the point is that the nation's severe flooding crisis knocked him off the frontpage for a couple of days. Can't have that.

The good old days when there was a hub for everything... How very well put! Of course we can remember that every hub has a focal point, and with a common spindle, they all spin in unison, so simple, so well balanced, perfection. Such a pity that the common centre in those days was exactly what they asked for and they all got shafted.

How nice that he will advise the PM on all of this.....how nice that he can commend the Democrats on helping to 'soap the country ploblem'

What a pity the advice is entirely insincere, completely self serving and of no actual use to anyone, since it is really really stupid. About as dumb as the idea of giving CP chickens for fighter jets proposed when TRT had run the country out of cash back in 2004; around the time that TRT were caught lying about the chicken flu crisis that they attempting to cover up to the EU.

If only we had Jakapop Penkair acting as his spokesman, it would be like old times, with nonsensical advice reported as news, and very real problems completely denied as a media conspiracy. Oh, the good old years, when all NGOs were evil, media were lapdogs, democracy was not a goal, and there was a hub for everything.

Should work as well as the offer of Jets For Chickens with Sweden...

http://www.thaivisa....-chicken-trade/

Dams for Chickens (dams for chickenfeed)

How much over-priced pledge rice does it take to buy a Chinese dam?

Connect the dots and what do you get?

Jakrapop and Noppadom doing tag-team announcements = Nauseous.

Jack Rabbit Bop and Nope I'm Dumb; cain't git bitter din dis.

Edited by animatic

I'm just curious and I'll freely admit I know very little, but will these dams being built by the Chinese reduce flooding in Thailand or have no effect? I'm startled by the news about Bangkok being saved, I read somewhere that it accounts for 75% or thereabouts of Thailand's economy. Is this really true? All other 75 provinces combined produce a quarter of Thailand's GDP? surely not. If so, why not sacrifice one low-lying province, relocate everyone (if possible) and make a dam? I suppose the whole country is low-lying!

Seems like a plan to get rid of all the rice the government is going to buy at waaay above market price on the Pledge Scam... err.. Scheme, sorry.

Nobody will want to buy the rice at the price the government tax payer is going to be paying so they need to find a way of getting rid of the mountain of grain they'll end up stockpiling somewhere, somehow.

Of course there will be a huge financial loss for the state over the whole thing.

Fact is that 2 weeks ago already over 200 people died of flooding and Yingluck thought is was more important to go on a PR trip through Asia.

When large parts of Thailand were screaming for help, the governemnt was not doing anything!

PM, to little too late!!

Ask the Kachin region Burmese what they think of Chinese Water Management expertise.

He should admit that during his years of ruling the peopleworked for him either wasted or stool money instead of improving the water waysinfrastructure. It is too late now

Again, Thaksin urged the government to expedite a project, which could store water during the rainy season and release the water for irrigation in times of drought
. \

It's called a dam.

And he's not the first Thai person to think of this idea.

A large part of the blame can, I think, be placed at the feet of the authorities EGAT?) in charge of releasing water from the storage dams in the northern areas notably Bhumphol & Sirikit plus Pasak dam. Not doing sufficient advance planning?

The severe monsoon pattern plus La Nina have exascerbated the problem.

However accepting responsibility is difficult in Teflon Thailand where nothing sticks if you are in authority.

Plus The Lost Face department is now closed.:whistling:

The Chinese which have serious floods every year they can't properly manage? Those Chinese?? :w00t: and the middle east that's all desert and hardly gets any rain to speak of? That middle east? :w00t: Yah those are first rate sources to get advice from :cheesy:..

Edited by WarpSpeed

The Chinese which have serious floods every year they can't properly manage? Those Chinese?? :w00t: and the middle east that's all desert and hardly gets any rain to speak of? That middle east? :w00t: Yah those are first rate sources to get advice from :cheesy:..

Why not indeed, if you ask for advise from people who know / understand you will probably get advice that doesn't fit in with your own thinking.

Why not indeed, if you ask for advise from people who know / understand you will probably get advice that doesn't fit in with your own thinking.

Oooopps! True, my mistake....

"Thaksin expressed confidence that Yingluck will be able steer the country through this time of crisis"

I very much doubt that. If you saw yesterdays Bangkok Post, there was a Photo of her with Abisit and advisers. It's obvious that she has absolutely no Idea. All she can do is listen and hope her advisers get it right.

Not much chance of that.