Another Sciatic Nerve "hopeful Ending"

smo

Hi ThaiPauly,

Your thread closed but I think I have something to tell you which would get your hope up. From a co-sufferer’s perspective. In October 2003 I came down with “sciatica”. I flailed about seeking treatment, wasting money and time on every thing you name it, but the real thing, the one we all feared, the knife. The problem I could see was, just as with you, this was something hitherto unknown, we heard about back pain and left it at that until it happened to us personally. Furthermore, unlike you, I couldn't afford the surgery where I lived, the USA. In Feb 2004, I left for Bangkok, got MRI, diagnosis of herniated disks on L4-L5 and L5-S1, “surgery or not” was really up to me. In April 2004, I left for VN, and for a while I thought I could live with the pain. In June 2004 I returned to BKK and immediately went in for surgery (only on L4-L5) at Bumrungrad.

[ During that period I also sought advice on this forum, got plenty of well wishes from dr pat pong and others, and advice from everybody. I recognize some familiar avatars among those who responded to your inquiries, too. And it seems that you also got extraordinay counsel from one particular member who seemed extremely knowledgeable, outstanding in the field as the saying goes, who took all the time that was needed and gave pin-point analysis, which for me was nothing less than a god-send and really showed me the way (or ways.)]

I know by now each sufferiing back was different (mine was “old”), as far as symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery, etc, are concerned. After all it is actually a whole bundle of nerves that are trapped or pinched or excruciated, not just one single lonely strand! I absolutely sympathise with your post-op “complications” though I was spared of those (I learned afterward that you could request before hand that they would not use the catheter, again we didn’t know when we came in, did we?).

Still, as recent as last month, October 2005 I came back to the States with the intention of applying for disability. The pain was long gone, but I had/have still discomfort, ache, numbness, weakness, etc. in varying degree with my “recovering” (right) leg. The only pills I take are vitamins and those bone-strenghthening substances. However, slowly but perceptibly, the leg seems getting stronger, almost “fighting” back, while the aching diminishes. Now it’s kind of looking forward to the after-dinner around the block stroll that I usually take at the end of the day. In other words, my leg no longer behaves like a sick child; a weak one, yes, but it is trying. A friend tells this to my face, “but you are getting stronger, the body always does its best. If you can walk now where you couldn’t before, you are getting ahead.”

So if you are getting 70%, from 20% then you are making great strides. It seems that if your body becomes stronger, then the pain would eventually go away. So it makes sense that we get physically strong and keep our hope up. :o

Best wishes,

smo

My husband had back surgery about two years ago for the same thing. Herniated L4/L5. He hated the catheter but really it is not the end of the world and doesn't stay in forever, ya know. :o

All I really wanted to say is that his recovery took about a year for all the numbness and weakness in his leg to disappear but it has and he is back to playing football in the garden with the kids and such.

Take heart. The recovery is long but you should be fine at the end. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy return to good health Thaipauly.

Hi SMO,

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post this.

Yes I received a great deal of help before I decided on surgery. The poster yo reffered to who gave me all the "Pinpoint Help" was "ProThaiExpat" who I will never forget for his kindness.

Thats not in anyway taking anything away from everyone else who contributed.

Every single post was invaluable and made me realise that I was Not Alone.

You never realise that until you get that sort of comfort.

It is wonderful to know that your similar problems to mine have now led you to the brink of perfect health. I still have days when I am at 50% of my former self (yesterday was one of them) but today its OK

Your post have given me confidence that I may one day return to A1 health as far as the pain is concerned and it will go, away one day never to return.

Thanks for yor comments too GoldenBeard, it all gives me improved hope of not remaining as the Godd Doctor Patpong called me "Mr.70% :o

As far as the cathata problem goes I had my "dissolvable" stitches surgically removed last week, but as the removal caused discomfort I will just have to wait and see if there is still pain in that area. My Wife has been extremely paitent and stood by me through all of this as I have not been able to make love to her since June due to these complications. The Doctor kept blaming my lack of progress to recover from the 2 operations the hospital performed on "the old chap" down to my Diebetis, but I don't hold with that, I feel that they botched it. I still have discomfort there, but like I say I am putting that down to the stitches being removed, its only been a few days so I will have to wait and see.

Once again thank you for your kind words, like you I have become an "Expert" on Sciatic Back problems, and this knowledge may well be able to help some unfortunate person/TV Member in the future. But still I know very little compared with the aforementioned member to whom I will be eternally grateful.

Kind Regards

TP

• 4 weeks later...

I will be traveling to Bumrungrad from the states in the near future (that is what my plans are anyway) for back surgery(“sciatica”). L4-5 and L5-S1 . I noticed some of you have had this procedure done, and report favorable results..I would like to know where you had your follow-up exam, x rays etc. Back in your homeland or return to Bangkok or maybe post op wasnt necessary?

Im in the planning stages of my trip and would appre. any suggestions or comments you may share with me.

Thanks

Capt. Morgan...

link to this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...1353&hl=griffer

search topic 11353 if link no good...

i had the same operation...I gave an account with as much detail as i could..

its coming up to 2 years later for me...so far a complete success..playing golf etc..

several posters at the time were dubious about the long-term success...if you have had cronic back pain the relief is unimaginable. I hope it continues, but to be honest, even the 2 years i have had were worth the inconvenience of the operation.

contact me personally if you want any further details.(or post your question on here for the benefit of all)...