Notary Service-Outrageous Prices

TigerWan

I cannot believe the prices to certify a signature- T&G in Cherng Telay 2,500, Baht I drive all the way into Phuket, 500 at Jairak I need 4 copies of a 3 page lease and assorted IDs , etc l cost over 50,000 at T & G Are they out of their minds? Do people actually pay that ? Seems I remember paying about 10 bucks for this back home - Anyone have any suggestions or know a certified Notary near Bang Tao not bent on total rip- offed- ness?

Thanks .

I know what you mean. When I first arrived in Thailand over 15 years ago I wanted a power of attorney for my new Thai girl friend to deal with some legal matters while I was away working. I though nothing about paying 10,000 baht as I was still thinking in UK legal prices. Girlfriend was horrified at that price, told me I could buy suitable prepared forms at any stationary shop and have notarised at the Ampur's (Mayor) office for a few baht. Naturally being a newbie I did not listen to her. Now as an 'oldie' I know better. BTW that girlfriend is now my wife and business partner these last 14 years. We still laugh about how stupid I was to pay that 10,000 baht.

I spent some hunting for a notary a couple months back. One problem I discovered is you can not usually pop in and have something notarized. 3 places I went to I had to leave it overnight because the lawyer, who is apparently the one that needs to notarize it, was not in the office. Finally went to PK Law on Chao Fa East in Chalong. They were not the cheapest at 1000B, but they had staff on site that could do it. Sounds like the folks at T&G think they are the only game in town. As far as I know there is only one type of notary public in Thailand, those certified by the Lawyers Council of Thailand. These seem to be accepted by western organizations.

Thanks for that , Living in Kata

Amphur? This sounds like a solution The mayor of Phuket? HIs office will do it How ? Where ?

Appreciate it . Since I posted had a query returned found a young woman in Cherng telay who will do it for 500per signature , but will give me a flat rate of 6000 - she also speaks excellent English. Hope she's really certified.

I also wondered about a consulate, US doesn't have one but my future landlord is Italian, Called the consulate - phone not answering. Called the Embassy - phone out of order.

Anyway you're lucky to have a trusty partner, what a R A C K E T this is.

I know what you mean. When I first arrived in Thailand over 15 years ago I wanted a power of attorney for my new Thai girl friend to deal with some legal matters while I was away working. I though nothing about paying 10,000 baht as I was still thinking in UK legal prices. Girlfriend was horrified at that price, told me I could buy suitable prepared forms at any stationary shop and have notarised at the Ampur's (Mayor) office for a few baht. Naturally being a newbie I did not listen to her. Now as an 'oldie' I know better. BTW that girlfriend is now my wife and business partner these last 14 years. We still laugh about how stupid I was to pay that 10,000 baht.

Edited by TigerWan

The SV folks ( Phuket ) were like "we do it for 15,000 but you make appointment now, right now , no calling around to check price " like if I change my mind, my knees get capped? They ripped me off bad ona visa when I was a newbie, I should make that appointment, get em all salivating and then pull a no show .

LiK, tell us about the Amphur, please? Though not driving to phuket town is alway worth a few thousand. For future reference of other seekers of knowledge

LiK, tell us about the Amphur, please? Though not driving to phuket town is alway worth a few thousand. For future reference of other seekers of knowledge

Not necessary to go to Phuket Town, you can go to your local area Amphur. You seem to be in Bangtao and I don't know where your area office is located. I happen to be registered at a Patong address and our area Amphur is located in Kathu. If we need a signature notarised for Thailand then we go there to the general front office, sign the papers and get countersigned/stamped by an official who witnessed the signing, pay the gov fee of usually 100 baht, trouble is you need someone that can speak Thai. For UK papers I have the UK honorary consulate to notarise but he charges about 2,000 baht (which I consider a rediculous high fee).

Thai people rarely use lawyers, they just can't/won't pay the fees. Regular Thai people use the services of local gov offices to register papers & signatures for gov nominal fees.

just find a medium lawyer(theres 5 minimum per moobaan) get their card and when you need a signature drop by their gate with 300baht and a small gift and get as many signature as you want then leave 5mins later.

But thanks to everyone about the gov office.. will be very useful knowledge very soon.

Just another ripoff, in Aust a Justice of the peace witnesses signatures on legal documents

and they do not usually charge a fee

To get my Thai visa in Australia few years back, had to get paperwork motorised. Consulate wanted every document separately stamped,

$ 150.00 per document. A notary stamp is a seal, not just a signature.

Just another ripoff, in Aust a Justice of the peace witnesses signatures on legal documents

and they do not usually charge a fee

To get my Thai visa in Australia few years back, had to get paperwork motorised. Consulate wanted every document separately stamped,

$ 150.00 per document. A notary stamp is a seal, not just a signature.

In 2006 i got my visa in Perth and did not need any notarized documents

Some JPs and commisioners of declareations do use a stamp/seal which they sign over

I paid $225 and that was the cost of the visa

Some JPs and commisioners of declareations do use a stamp/seal which they sign over

A bit off topic but i heard the embassy in Perth closed down as they were a bit too free and easy when handing out visa's

A bit off topic but i heard the embassy in Perth closed down as they were a bit too free and easy when handing out visa's

It closed because the consul retired not for any other reason

So what you heard is not true

Yes, I got my retirement visa in Perth not long before it closed. Even though I was prepared to give them the original pension letter (not a copy) they still insisted I get it notarised at a cost of about $80 a page. The person who did it put a fancy looking seal on my original docs, but didn't really bother to check if it was genuine. Just a ripoff.

The Admiral or Commodore, or whatever the hon counsul was, retired, so they closed the place.

Just go to a shop that makes stamps and become an instant notary. It is simply an archaic concept that would never actually be checked.

Yes, I got my retirement visa in Perth not long before it closed. Even though I was prepared to give them the original pension letter (not a copy) they still insisted I get it notarised at a cost of about $80 a page. The person who did it put a fancy looking seal on my original docs, but didn't really bother to check if it was genuine. Just a ripoff.

The Admiral or Commodore, or whatever the hon counsul was, retired, so they closed the place.