Evacuation, Flood Warning For Part Of Bangkok Outskirts

george

An announcement around 9pm by the authorities that today's levy breech in Pathumthani had been repaired is evidently being given little credibility - probably because they haven't managed to do that before as far as I can recall.

Edited by george
snip

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Residents of Pathumthani, this might be useful

http://pathumthani.thaiflood.com/en/

Yet my area is not anyhow "marked". But electric plays crazy here....

thanks for the link, just been talking to my girlfriend in khlong song, khlong luang Pathum and it's pretty hairy there i do hope that dyke has been repaired as the water is up to the top ready to cause chaos and she is only but 10 metres from it. Not sure the link will make her worry more though! :(

thanks for the link, just been talking to my girlfriend in khlong song, khlong luang Pathum and it's pretty hairy there i do hope that dyke has been repaired as the water is up to the top ready to cause chaos and she is only but 10 metres from it. Not sure the link will make her worry more though! :(

Mate,

if she is but 10M from it perhaps she needs to make a timely exit and go stay somewhere else! Just a thought.

Mate,

if she is but 10M from it perhaps she needs to make a timely exit and go stay somewhere else! Just a thought.

she can move from the ground floor up to the 6th floor if needs be as there is a spare apartment the landlord said she can use, but the thought of moving everything 6 floors by steps would make even me wait until the last minute to shift everything :)

Two extra word's of advice....that aren't on the US Embassy list...

If you have time and are expecting to be affected by the floods and expect to be walking around in something questionable, go get a cholera shot; and always keep your cellphones fully charged and if possible, have a spare.

Note to the US Embassy...a cellphone and charger is useless if there's no power and even if there is, you shouldn't be plugging things into electrical outlets if you're surrounded by water. :blink:

Edited by BKKBrit

Still dry as a bone here (@my area).

Some areas around my moobaan are normally flooded after a goddamn good rain. But not @my moobaan, as they have elevated the whole area prior building anything. Not much high I guess, but yet is it dry around - thanks to Allah.

Other areas around are normally flooded at this time (other years too). Have no idea how it is there right now - it is dark, and I am having my beer... :)

Edited by alexakap

Bangkok's flood walls 'strong'

Is that a first for Thailand? Quite scary actually. So there is indeed a weak point in the reinforced 'permanent' concrete wall. It doesn't matter how good the wall is, if there is a weak point then that is where the water will come in.

I wouldn't trust the flood wall no matter what. This is Thailand. Has the flood wall been tested? It's 76km long? Nakhon Sawan had a flood wall - at least until the floods came and it broke down and the entire city got flooded. So bottom line: I would not bet my property on the strength of the flood wall.

Good luck everyone. Lesson from the recent flood in Chiang Mai is: Expect the unexpected. Construction and other factors will have changed what gets flooded and what doesn't compared to the last flood. Water management plays a role also. The guys handling the floodgates and such try to do their best but it seems like there are a lot of factors in play that make it a difficult endeavor even with the best preparation.

Anyone living in phreuksa 19 out in Bangkurat, Bangbuathong area?

A danger area AFAIK

Too close to the River...the soils also not too strong and muddy all the times.....

I have 2 rai's of land over there. Had to abandon that from my plans to build a house as those easily be flooded every Jul - Oct, 1meter high or something....... Have built @Pathum instead.

Be prepared for unexpected, you yourself or your friends over there... :(

I am in hotel in Bang Na near Swampi tonight , some water on roads but nobody seems too worried around here 7 /11 open as normal cars and motorbikes getting through no problems, taxi driver from airport happy that i will be able to get to sukmvit on saturday to watch Wales destroy France, and he also assures me that Dusit area is fine down by river . So if you cannot rely on politicians or the media to know what is going on , ask a taxi driver !!!!

I am in hotel in Bang Na near Swampi tonight , some water on roads but nobody seems too worried around here 7 /11 open as normal cars and motorbikes getting through no problems, taxi driver from airport happy that i will be able to get to sukmvit on saturday to watch Wales destroy France, and he also assures me that Dusit area is fine down by river . So if you cannot rely on politicians or the media to know what is going on , ask a taxi driver !!!!

I'm living in khet Dusit, two blocks from Dusit Zoo. We just had half an hour of heavy rain, but apart from wet streets, not even small pools as far as I can see (which isn't too far). So far so good :)

I'm living in khet Dusit, two blocks from Dusit Zoo. We just had half an hour of heavy rain, but apart from wet streets, not even small pools as far as I can see (which isn't too far). So far so good :)

Same thing in Prakanong, after 30 minutes of rain, the soi if wet, remains non flooded, only the usual parking lots and puddle areas have 10 cm of water, so far ...

Oops heavy rains back on again !

Edited by aneliane

Thanks mate.

Anyone living in phreuksa 19 out in Bangkurat, Bangbuathong area?

A danger area AFAIK

Too close to the River...the soils also not too strong and muddy all the times.....

I have 2 rai's of land over there. Had to abandon that from my plans to build a house as those easily be flooded every Jul - Oct, 1meter high or something....... Have built @Pathum instead.

Be prepared for unexpected, you yourself or your friends over there... :(

Two extra word's of advice....that aren't on the US Embassy list...

If you have time and are expecting to be affected by the floods and expect to be walking around in something questionable, go get a cholera shot; and always keep your cellphones fully charged and if possible, have a spare.

Note to the US Embassy...a cellphone and charger is useless if there's no power and even if there is, you shouldn't be plugging things into electrical outlets if you're surrounded by water. :blink:

Cannot get cholera from walking in contaminated water. I would be more worried about tetanus and leptospirosis.

sanuk

Same thing in Prakanong, after 30 minutes of rain, the soi if wet, remains non flooded, only the usual parking lots and puddle areas have 10 cm of water, so far ...

Rain just started again here in Dusit :(

Edited by rubl

Yep rain has not stopped since + scary thunder and soi under water :(

Thunder and Lightning, rain, but street just wet, very small pools of water only along the pavement.

(don't need flooding, have to do 90-day reporting tomorrow)

Edited by rubl

Thunder and Lightning, rain, but street just wet, very small pools of water only along the pavement.

(don't need flooding, have to do 90-day reporting tomorrow)

Ya know you can do that 90-day report by mail, don't you? Or just skip it altogether. ;)

Been raining the last few hours here in Wang Thong Lang. No flooding though...

This might be helpful as it is fairly recent data (within last 24 hours, I believe).

Good luck to all affected. I'm in the States now but if anyone thinks Min Buri is in danger of flooding please let me know. My girlfriend will need to move as much as she can to the 2nd floor.

Cheers,

Tip

ThailandFloodMap.jpg

For the next days you can look here for the tides in Bangkok: Mobile Geographics

14.10 6.53 AM 3,55m Hightide

14.10 5.40 PM 3,10m Hightide

15.10 7.27 AM 3,60m Hightide

Please visit the Website for Download table or I-Phone.

Waterspeed ca. 9 Km/h, lenght from sea to Thon Buri ca.35 Km.

So on 14.10 11.00 AM should waterlevel rising up in Thon Buri, should stable after 12 hours.

I'am not Expert about flooding, so some calculations may be different, feel free, to make it better.

But I hope it can be helpful for someone to decide what to do, and when it must done.

First post.

Live near Dreamworld (about 2 kilometres south). That map above has me confused. Ayutthaya is to the north and slightly east of Pathum Thani.

On other maps (inc Google) it's to the north west. We have been told that we should be OK but to take precautions. So many different stories on TV, via loudspeaker etc it's mental! Not a worrier but this is keeping me awake.

Edited by GoonDizzy

Any news of flooding in navanakorn ind estate ?

First post.

Live near Dreamworld (about 2 kilometres south). That map above has me confused. Ayutthaya is to the north and slightly east of Pathum Thani.

On other maps (inc Google) it's to the north west. We have been told that we should be OK but to take precautions. So many different stories on TV, via loudspeaker etc it's mental! Not a worrier but this is keeping me awake.

I am in a Mo Baan south of Sai Mai. local officials and Mo Baan security announced the flood warning via speakers.

very basic no details but in 3 statements :

- dyke broke, water coming

- move upstairs, or leave now

- don't panic

very dry here, but the 'leave now' makes us panic :-(

Where exactly are you? How far from, say, Phahon Yothin or the Don Muang Air Force base or Saphan Mai?

at the the back of the Air Force Base, about 2km to the east. the mo baan community is very helpful, setting up its own procedure on guarding the village and informing the people there.

the long night rainning doesn't help anything here :-(

Reminder:

A post making light of this situation and the responses to it has been removed. This is not a 'fun' topic and anyone making false statements or frivolous comments will find themselves without posting rights until after the situation is over.

//Admin

Another frivolous post has been removed, last chance to cease the frivolous/nonsense posts.

Any news ?

Any news of flooding in navanakorn ind estate ?

First post.

TiT...

Obviously, the government doesn't know what's going to happen at all.

There's lots of water in lots of places. A lot of it has to come through Bangkok.

I live out in Krungthep Krita area. I have sandbagged around my house and with the elevation of our village, I should be good to about 100cm to 150cm. Above that, it's just going to come into the house and there will be a lot of damage, which I imagine wont be repaired for a long time.

I'm just going to err on the safe side. Worse case scenario that I am considering is 2-3 metres of water that we have seen upcountry. This may sound ridiculous but I don't trust anything that's coming out of the media right now.

Good luck all....

Pedro

I live on Krungthep Kreetha also. Apart from minor flooding on the main soi (same as every year) the sub sois are generally dry so far

Any chance of starting a single thread where folks from around the country can give up to date reports on where they live? Cheers.

Up until 6 years ago, Chiang Rai (northernmost Thailand) had 1 foot of floodwater each year downtown. Since they rebuilt storm sewers, no problems - though it took them a few tries to get it right. I think it was when they started designing using plumb levels, that they got the sewers to drain as planned.

I'd like to see a chart of rainfall levels for the past 20 years or so. I bet this year has not been exceptionally rainy. The current flood problems in the middle regions of Thailand stem from various reasons, not least because of irresponsible construction - which destroys habitat - forests and fields which would ordinarily hold water.

Pop Quiz: which activity moves the most earth each year?

A. volcanic activity

B. landslides

C. ocean and tidal actions

D. rain and weather

E. earth moving machines

Answer: E

source: Discover Magazine

I happened across this site, Thai Flood Map, which gives current flood data. Maybe others can navigate the site better than I but since I live just east of Chachoengsao province I clicked on that province on the home page map of Thailand. It shows the current state of flooding in that area but the map can be zoomed in/out and panned to see any area you wish. Here's the direct link to that page.