Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

Thats right as predicted by me yesterday. It is foolish by the authorities to block the Water at Don Mueang area for a long time, as pressure builts up on dams. They do EVERYTHING to protect inner Bangkok . As soon as the northern and western floodwals are soaked , and they start breaking already, the flooding of inner Bangkok will come. There are still 3 more high tides to come and much more offlow from north, as ayuttaya releases masses of water and bumipol dam as well. There is more confusion than information. The threat for inner Bangkok remains very high. Do NOT start feeling secure and have bags to leave ready.

I was watching the news on Australian Network 24 television here in Chiang Mai when suddenly a banner has just started to appear at the bottom of the screen saying that floodwaters have reached

the centre of Bangkok and providing the websites and telephone number of the Australian Department of foreign affairs in case of emergency. does Australian Network have information which is not being reflected in comments in this thread?

That is just plain wrong. The Australia Network should know better. They keep showing that warning despite their Bangkok correspondent reporting that the inner city is dry. The BBC is the worst. They are completely sensationalising it. It seems that Channel News Asia is the only foreign news service that is accurately covering this.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watcharaphon Update:

---I'm Back! Left last night to stay in Bangna at a 'safe house', after there was a warning of flash flood coming from Hok Wa. Called the village this morning, and it turns out they never did block in our village, as the water did not come up like they thought it would. Kind of a pain in the a$$, but due to misinformation and panic they really thought we were going to be hit hard last night. Kudos anyway to the brave village maintenance team that was going to stay and fight the water. I'm not complaining, matter of fact I am happy it is high and dry here still. Just reset all my evacuation bags, ready to do it again if I need to.

---Haven't ventured out yet much but it is pretty much the same as yesterday, except maybe 50-75 meters closer to the intersection and a little deeper. Nothing at all on the roads going towards Ramintra road. I'll try and get out a little later for some pics and an update.

Cheers

TominBKK

Great news Tom. Good to hear you're home and dry.

Again I say many thanks for your regular Watcharaphon updates.

What about the Sukhumvit Road from Bangkok to Pattaya?

I tried to contribute earlier but maybe I have not entered my report correctly. Anyway Sukhumvit from On Nut south to Bangna has had no sign whatsoever of flooding and the road to Pattaya to the best of my knowledge is also status quo!

Take the elevated toll-way and ask the booth operator when you join it for news???

There shouldn't be anybody at the toll booth. I understand the motorway and toll ways out of Bangkok are free until tomorrow. Someone kindly confirm.

Tolls are free on Chonburi tollway but not in the city. I just returned from Pattaya and had to pay toll on Rama 9 and the main city toll road.

Just got back from Prakanong. The klong is actually lower than it was yesterday. Tesco Onnut car park was very quiet although a lot of people shopping and motorcycle taxis doing a roaring trade. Upon getting home my wife informed me that it had just been announced on TV (television)that there was flooding in Bangna Nai, which I assume is along Tang Rot Rai Gow Rd. heading from Sanpawut Rd. to Samrong. I will check. It appears to be that area across Sukhumvit from Bitec and the Royal Naval Sports club.

Edited by GarryP

Thaveewattana Soi 9, Sanam Luang 2 and around:

It is starting just now...from zero to a few centimeter to 30 cm, depending on the area.

Getting worse. I would say depending on the Klong. if it rises 10 cm we go down quickly if it reduce 10 cm we can pump us back dry.

They're probably just FROC-ing off.

Nimitmai Road

Large crowd has gathered at corner of Nimitmai and Hat Thai Mit road protesting the BMA's ? placement of sandbags all along centre island of Nimitmai road down to Suwintawong junction. Water slowly rising from drains at the corner of Nimitmai and Hat Thai Mit roads. Eyewitness and security from our moobarn advise approx 1000 people gathered. My wife informs me the TV states only approx 400 people but fails to advise why they are there. Maybe fishing or a boat auction??

yeah good one :cheesy: :cheesy:

Apologies for my naivete, but has the worst of it passed Bangkok?

While flood water from the north is still flowing south, now that the gates have been opened and the big tides in the past couple days are over, Bangkok isn't going to get any worse?

I fled to Khorat on Thursday fearing that my area might lose power and run out of food. Considering that my area stayed dry, is it safe to assume that it will continue to be okay? i.e., tap water will be okay for bathing, food supply routes will remain open as they have been, etc.

I live near Victory Monument station, but I'm asking these questions for all of central Bangkok that didn't see floods.

A very nifty site that was posted here shows water lever for each flood gate in central Bangkok. Sorry to repost, but I think it's a very handy site.

http://dds.bangkok.go.th/canal/

At any rate, we can assume from this point that the worst has passed for Bangkok?

Nimitmai Road

Large crowd has gathered at corner of Nimitmai and Hat Thai Mit road protesting the BMA's ? placement of sandbags all along centre island of Nimitmai road down to Suwintawong junction. Water slowly rising from drains at the corner of Nimitmai and Hat Thai Mit roads. Eyewitness and security from our moobarn advise approx 1000 people gathered. My wife informs me the TV states only approx 400 people but fails to advise why they are there. Maybe fishing or a boat auction??

I just left there.

Locals had blockaded both Nimitmai & Hat Thai Mid with gravel and trucks. Maybe around 70 police, with a few big meat wagons. And a red shirt guy turned up late PM to negotiate with the lock keeper. Gates had been open at about 60cm, they tried to get 80cm, but finally agreed on 75cm. The gates would probably closed down again after the crowd dispersed, which it had done by 6pm (alot of mozzies in this area, so no surprise there!)

People were complaining that the canals further down (and land also) was still 'dry', so the gates should be opened more at Hat Thai Mit to let the water flow down to Minburi, and into Saen Saep (?).

In addition, anyone wishing to travel up Nimitmai to Lam Luk Ka, road is now flooded down to Soi 53, 1km south of where it was at yesterday, so waters are definitely coming down slowly, but surely, from Klong Hok Wa, mostly filling up between Hat Thai Rat & Nimitmai Roads, and no doubt to the east of this also.

Mai sanook.......

Nimitmai Road

I just left there.

Locals had blockaded both Nimitmai & Hat Thai Mid with gravel and trucks. Maybe around 70 police, with a few big meat wagons. And a red shirt guy turned up late PM to negotiate with the lock keeper. Gates had been open at about 60cm, they tried to get 80cm, but finally agreed on 75cm. The gates would probably closed down again after the crowd dispersed, which it had done by 6pm (alot of mozzies in this area, so no surprise there!)

People were complaining that the canals further down (and land also) was still 'dry', so the gates should be opened more at Hat Thai Mit to let the water flow down to Minburi, and into Saen Saep (?).

In addition, anyone wishing to travel up Nimitmai to Lam Luk Ka, road is now flooded down to Soi 53, 1km south of where it was at yesterday, so waters are definitely coming down slowly, but surely, from Klong Hok Wa, mostly filling up between Hat Thai Rat & Nimitmai Roads, and no doubt to the east of this also.

Mai sanook.......

hi

we are at lam luka ka road klong 4 , and the water is still rising, my girlfriend has a house in koh bon min buri, so we understand what they are trying to do, but , im with the people on this one, they need to let the water go,

No. It appears to be getting worse.

But there was all this concern about the high tide. That really didn't deserve the big focus?

So you would continue to advise those who have left BKK to remain away, even if their neighborhoods were spared?

Wow, that's tough news (but hardly compares to those caught in the thick of it, sympathy to you all)

Roads up to Khorat were pretty rough, I didn't think the bus would make it through some of the high water we drove through. Many cars and trucks clearly got stuck. Anyone who put their luggage below on the bus must have been upset when they got a dripping suitcase back.

No. It appears to be getting worse.

But there was all this concern about the high tide. That really didn't deserve the big focus?

So you would continue to advise those who have left BKK to remain away, even if their neighborhoods were spared?

Wow, that's tough news (but hardly compares to those caught in the thick of it, sympathy to you all)

Roads up to Khorat were pretty rough, I didn't think the bus would make it through some of the high water we drove through. Many cars and trucks clearly got stuck. Anyone who put their luggage below on the bus must have been upset when they got a dripping suitcase back.

Yes, just stay out. The tides have their biggest effect along the rivers. The other districts are being hit with runoff.

According to the news, Ramintra is flooding around km.8. Our house is in Khu Bon Rd soi 27 (flooding) and our office is nearby.

I think it would pay to update here

http://www.gamling.org/

You login to facebook before you use.

all you have to do then is either use Chrome and translate. or put the curser where you want it then move up and press the + button at the top of the screen then you get a red arrow that can be moved. then press the greenish box on the top of the screen . and follow the the simple instructions.You have to choose a level of flood and then below that a brief description. If you have a flood you can add a picture as well.

when you have a flood report that way every one can see exactly where it is... Thanks In advance.

Maybe mods can pin this, if they think it's useful.

Edited by thaicbr

Nimitmai Road

I just left there.

Mai sanook.......

hi

we are at lam luka ka road klong 4 , and the water is still rising, my girlfriend has a house in koh bon min buri, so we understand what they are trying to do, but , im with the people on this one, they need to let the water go,

Agrred. Let all the water flow. Break down all barriers.

Our house is in Khu Bon soi 27. Flooding now.

We evacuated last Wednesday.

I think it would pay to update here

http://www.gamling.org/

You login to facebook before you use.

all you have to do then is either use Chrome and translate. or put the curser where you want it then move up and press the + button at the top of the screen then you get a red arrow that can be moved. then press the greenish box on the top of the screen . and follow the the simple instructions.You have to choose a level of flood and then below that a brief description. If you have a flood you can add a picture as well.

when you have a flood report that way every one can see exactly where it is... Thanks In advance.

Maybe mods can pin this, if they think it's useful.

Good one !

Is this map still updated ?

http://maps.google.c...16cc08a39456d14

or is gamling more up to date ?

Anyways, Phra Ram 9 / Ratchada all dry

with the gamling site it's actually the normal people doing the reports. If the icon has a black dot on it then its less than 6 hours old. if you click on the icon it will give you ALL of the information for that area that has been logged (on one it went back 5 days)

The google map you linked shows NO flooding in Salaya even though it's now under water.... gamling all the way for me.

with the gamling site it's actually the normal people doing the reports. If the icon has a black dot on it then its less than 6 hours old. if you click on the icon it will give you ALL of the information for that area that has been logged (on one it went back 5 days)

The google map you linked shows NO flooding in Salaya even though it's now under water.... gamling all the way for me.

and the Gamling site shows NO flooding in Arun Amarin or Bang Ya Khan when they've been waist deep for the last 5 dazes so, what's your point?

They're both great tools if and only if the community is diligent in their updates.

I take that back...it just took 5 minutes to load...:)

Edited by edsinbkk

Phraya Surin (Ramintra 109) is clear all the way past the Panya Intra intersection. A lot of the sois that are lower than main road level are, however, flooded. There is also noticeably more water around on open areas.Ramintra was clear from the Minburi intersection to around k.m. 10 (as far as I went). The southern part of Hat Thai Rat, the bit I travelled on anyway, was also dry.

and the Gamling site shows NO flooding in Arun Amarin or Bang Ya Khan when they've been waist deep for the last 5 dazes so, what's your point?

They're both great tools if and only if the community is diligent in their updates.

so if you know its flooded THERE .....UPDATE Gamling. Rather than bitching it's wrong. This is why i'm suggesting we here on TV use only one. and update it as best as possible... Good idea..no!

Ps. also i'm putting the description in both English and Thai (using google translate) which i also think is a good idea.

Edited by thaicbr

Nimitmai Road

I just left there.

Mai sanook.......

hi

Agrred. Let all the water flow. Break down all barriers.

Our house is in Khu Bon soi 27. Flooding now.

We evacuated last Wednesday.

i understand our house is on soi 20, khu bon, , but not flooded yet and may flood, if they let more water go, i did not say break down all the barriers, but here in lam luk ka road water is still rising, you must be right next to the police station, hope you can get back soon, i will be at my school , somapa tomorrow if you like, when i check our house i can report for you too?

I took a trip today around Kasetsart, Ngamwong, and followed the canalway all the way to Bangsue MRT.

Right now there is some minor (10 cm) flooding past The mall Ngamwong/pongpetch junction heading towards Prachachuan. They have the major canal there heavily sandbagged on the embankment to keep the road open.

Kasetsart also had some minor flooding around the canal. It looks like it's going to get much more serious because I see them laying down a heavy barrier of sandbags along the canal.

It's coming folks.

[

The focus on high tide was because the water couldn't go out _at all_ when it was happening. It's actually a major point but just because high tide is finished temporarily doesn't mean anything. The water still has to drain.