Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

I found another way (my company prohibits Google Earth). Go to Google Maps then right click and choose "what is here". It will give you the coordinates in the menu box where you search. Go to this page http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation and enter the latitude and longitude numbers at the bottom of the page where is ...

BTW I'd think that's how the iPhone apps work too. They just get the GPS coordinates, and then look it up on Google Earth or another GPS elevation data website. That way they'd be way more accurate than a simple GPS (which also has elevation but in a flood half a meter can make a huge difference so +/- 6m isn't all that useful)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did this last night from Raminthra to Nakon Pathom :

- all the way to the south-west of the city

- cross river at Rama 9 bridge ( day time about 1 hour, night about 30 minutes )

- head to Rama II road

- further to motorway 35

- at some exits turn right to some shortcuts to motorway 4 ( I got found in the dark )

- follow motorway 4 to the north to Nakon Pathom

quite a bit of traffic as this is an effective route to the north.

good luck !

How's the route from Bkk to Nakon Patom..? Possible or not via Puttamonton or Petkasaem?

Phetkasem ok no water but very busy. Isn't Borommaraaichachonnani now closed from Pin klao to Phuthmonthon sai 4 ?

Anyone have any news on Klong Prapa the water is still rising here in the western side of Don Munag near Chang a Card Utit?

Just tweeted by George:

INN reports that floodwater outside FROC office and on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road is quickly rising after levees broke./TAN_Network

In Pinklao, the situation is rapidly worsening. The floodwater levels are to around 1.3 metres and they are barely moving according to tides. There is noticeable panic among soldiers to repair the dykes.

My apartment's sandbagged, water-pumped and sealed barrier has been overrun. The breeze block wall-- just built-- is holding out at the entrances but every time the water level rises more leaks spring.

Any worse and the electricity must be switched off. Currently aiding the staff (9 people) with a desperate last stand.

The TV signal is knocked out, the water is compromised. The emergency chemical toilet has been destroyed by the flooding.

This might be the last time I can get on the internet, so I bid you good night and good luck. Situation hopeless, all is lost, we fight on. God Save the Queen.

In Pinklao, the situation is rapidly worsening. The floodwater levels are to around 1.3 metres and they are barely moving according to tides. There is noticeable panic among soldiers to repair the dykes.

My apartment's sandbagged, water-pumped and sealed barrier has been overrun. The breeze block wall-- just built-- is holding out at the entrances but every time the water level rises more leaks spring.

Any worse and the electricity must be switched off. Currently aiding the staff (9 people) with a desperate last stand.

The TV signal is knocked out, the water is compromised. The emergency chemical toilet has been destroyed by the flooding.

This might be the last time I can get on the internet, so I bid you good night and good luck. Situation hopeless, all is lost, we fight on. God Save the Queen.

Great post.

Chin up , stiff lip and keep the sense of humour.

Time to start playing " Nearer my God to Thee" ?? :-)

( Played as the Titantic was sinking)

Are you near Chao Phraya 3? If they flood as well, maybe you'll see the girls paddling around on their air mattresses.

Lad Prao near Central and Union Mall remains dry in spite of that little rain we just had. The Lad Prao Hotel (okay, it's a curtain hotel, but it's cheap and dry) is near Soi 8 if you're a refugee from tonight's rain. Maybe we should start another map, this one with markers for small hotels and guesthouses that you probably won't find with Google or Lonely Planet.

If I was abandoning my residence, I would head for Soi Ngam Duphli off of Rama IV Rd. Prior to Khao San Rd., Ngam Duphli was the world traveller ghetto. The Lumphini MRT is quite closeby. I think that ETC is the first guesthouse you come to, and eventually you reach the Malaysia Hotel and another soi with small guesthouses. They are spartan and under any other circumstances probably wouldn't be your first choice for a room.

Anyone have any news on Klong Prapa the water is still rising here in the western side of Don Munag near Chang a Card Utit?

Just tweeted by George:

INN reports that floodwater outside FROC office and on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road is quickly rising after levees broke./TAN_Network

Anyone able to confirm this?

Impact MTT is flooding now.

Really? Where did the water come from? Has it affected the nearby condos?

I stay in the lake view condo's ( The domino buildings on Bondstreet), and there is no problem. But probably the water is coming out of the sewers, its happend last week also. But it seems that the streets around the popular condo's have some 5 till 10 cm of water.

Just tweeted by George:

Anyone able to confirm this?

It was mentioned in the BBK post, I am in Don Muang but most of the flooding problems in the Western part of DM are due to Klong Phra Pa as opposed to the airport

not sure about iPhone apps, but Garmin driving GPS has a tolerance of +/- 6m. I have another Sunnto GPS and its tolerance is +/- 3m. critical enough for a above-water or below-water error :-(

Anyone else using the free elevation app for iPhone? Curious to know if it's accurate. My house is showing an above sea level elevation of 7.2m (ASL). I am about to find out if it is accurate as 7.2 ASL is about the highest elevation I could find in the area and the water just arrived down the street.

double check it on google earth... where i am is about 7.5m ASL.

I don't think there is anywhere in Bkk 7.5 m ASL, unless a man made hill. The highest areas are about 3.5 and there aren't many of those. The average for the city must be somewhere between zero and 1.

I stay in the lake view condo's ( The domino buildings on Bondstreet), and there is no problem. But probably the water is coming out of the sewers, its happend last week also. But it seems that the streets around the popular condo's have some 5 till 10 cm of water.

OK, I know where you are; I used to live in Victoria. Curious to know where the water around the popular condos is coming from. I thought song prapa was leveed off. Or maybe the ground is soaked and its infiltrated to sewerage system. It's bizarre; my car floor got flooded there in that March downpour, but it's one of the few places in the area that's still relatively dry. Suffice to say my nice new house got flooded lol

not sure about iPhone apps, but Garmin driving GPS has a tolerance of +/- 6m. I have another Sunnto GPS and its tolerance is +/- 3m. critical enough for a above-water or below-water error :-(

Anyone else using the free elevation app for iPhone? Curious to know if it's accurate. My house is showing an above sea level elevation of 7.2m (ASL). I am about to find out if it is accurate as 7.2 ASL is about the highest elevation I could find in the area and the water just arrived down the street.

I don't think there is anywhere in Bkk 7.5 m ASL, unless a man made hill. The highest areas are about 3.5 and there aren't many of those. The average for the city must be somewhere between zero and 1.

I'm in Nonthaburi - my floor is at 3m, but we still got flooded by at least 30 cm so far; even though the river is running at max of about 3.1-3.2 m at pak kret.

The 4pm News update from TAN Network said that there is 'good news' for the Pra Khanong and sois around 50. Apparently they had started flooding today due to some [unspecified] engineering breakdown which has now been fixed by engineers; they said that water is now being pumped back into [the canal]/[wherever it came from].

Square brackets cos I didn't get the exact words describing what went wrong or where the water is now being shepherded back to.

Phew my not-yet-moved-into 25th floor condo near Onnut Tesco will not be inundated after-all :rolleyes:.

Good to hear the engineering problem was resolved. I am in Onnut too. It was earlier reported that the levees burst on both sides of Klong Prakanong. I think your new place should be OK on the 25th floor.

actually wrong.. according to google earth. around lang suang is ranging from 90ft to 130ft above sealevel. There are bound to be other places to.

post-62652-0-93212400-1319822649_thumb.g

Stay calm and carry on.

Actually it is 0.8 meters average.

Some of the newer roads and housing developments are like 3-4 meters because they dump like 2 meters of sand before pouring concrete.

Sukhumvit road is actually 0.8 meters above sea level so it is lower than the Chao Phraya river.

The google earth and maps have a very high variance so i wouldn't trust it.

Edited by mdechgan

"The google earth and maps have a very high variance so i wouldn't trust it."

so what maps are you working off to get your figures??? please share. Because i can not believe the whole of Suk is 0.8 ASL.

Edited by thaicbr

so what maps are you working off to get your figures??? please share. Because i can not believe the whole of Suk is 0.8 ASL.

When you register to buy your land, the amphur has geological and survey maps.

Those are the real maps measured by surveyors not by satellite.

The MWA also uses them, not google maps or earth.

My cousin works for the BMA in Din Daeng but says these maps are available but not given out to anyone.

Just last week there was a spread in the newspaper about the elevation of various streets around Bangkok.

I think it was Siam media.

Please have a look at this picture. (Taken 27 Oct)

http://www.gistda.or.th/gistda_n/Gallery/img/Flood2011/20111027-RS2-central.jpg

It's becoming more and more obvious that the flood is going to the west side first. If you're there, please be ready or get out of that area.

On top of that, I see helps are concentrating on the east side where it's less severe. I don't know why.

When you register to buy your land, the amphur has geological and survey maps.

Those are the real maps measured by surveyors not by satellite.

The MWA also uses them, not google maps or earth.

My cousin works for the BMA in Din Daeng but says these maps are available but not given out to anyone.

Just last week there was a spread in the newspaper about the elevation of various streets around Bangkok.

I think it was Siam media.

That will explain why BKK is drowning then... If you can't get the maps...dohhhh.

But ok.. I will have to stick with google earth and hope that it works on averages..biggrin.gif

http://www.gistda.or.th/gistda_n/Gallery/img/Flood2011/20111027-RS2-central.jpg

It's becoming more and more obvious that the flood is going to the west side first. If you're there, please be ready or get out of that area.

On top of that, I see helps are concentrating on the east side where it's less severe. I don't know why.

I see water in Nakorn Sawan has drained south to Ayutthaya.

There is still loads of water on Bangkok's door step.

1. Drain it through Bangkok with the two rivers Chao Phraya and Tha Chine

2. Plug up Bangkok and divert it east and west

3. Plug up Bangkok and plug the east and west and hope for the water to evaporate.

http://www.gistda.or...RS2-central.jpg

I see water in Nakorn Sawan has drained south to Ayutthaya.

There is still loads of water on Bangkok's door step.

1. Drain it through Bangkok with the two rivers Chao Phraya and Tha Chine

2. Plug up Bangkok and divert it east and west

3. Plug up Bangkok and plug the east and west and hope for the water to evaporate.

Yep.. on the west side.. The Tha Chin will be a big problem if the banks go, it's actually a fairly big river. especially at the moment. The local admin do not seem to be doing much but the local people are sand bagging the weak spots as best as they can.. The next few days and we will see.... It's bloody humid though with all this water around... me no like.

By

A relative of mine no less! the leader. How brave.

Good luck Gachaa.

Thanks to info on elevation map. Hooray 3.5 meters above sea level here in Sukhumvit

For what it's worth. Maybe go back to sleep

I found another way (my company prohibits Google Earth). Go to Google Maps then right click and choose "what is here". It will give you the coordinates in the menu box where you search. Go to this page http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation and enter the latitude and longitude numbers at the bottom of the page where is ...

BTW I'd think that's how the iPhone apps work too. They just get the GPS coordinates, and then look it up on Google Earth or another GPS elevation data website. That way they'd be way more accurate than a simple GPS (which also has elevation but in a flood half a meter can make a huge difference so +/- 6m isn't all that useful)

Sorry to say but the gpsvisualizer service seems to be very unreliable. Where I live you can seen with your naked eye that the street is lower at point A and goes up to point B. Water recognizes this too and when raining the water goes from B to A, hence the law of gravity is still intact around here. Anyway... the link gives me 10m for point A but ony 4m for point B. Unless I had very good LSD during the last rain (can't remember that ummmm) I think we should not rely on the results.

I stay in the lake view condo's ( The domino buildings on Bondstreet), and there is no problem. But probably the water is coming out of the sewers, its happened last week also. But it seems that the streets around the popular condo's have some 5 till 10 cm of water.

OK, I know where you are; I used to live in Victoria. Curious to know where the water around the popular condos is coming from. I thought song prapa was leveed off. Or maybe the ground is soaked and its infiltrated to sewerage system. It's bizarre; my car floor got flooded there in that March downpour, but it's one of the few places in the area that's still relatively dry. Suffice to say my nice new house got flooded lol

Than we must have been neighbours I stay in Riviera 2. And indeed the water is coming from the sewerage system, at some places its like fountains. The lake is overflowing also, but they are pumping the water out. Anyhow MTT look almost like a ghost town, many restaurants closed and many people moved out.