Munich Beer Hall By Carrefour,Is It Open?

rikki

Been there about 10 days ago - about 5 guests in the whole place. Beer not near the quality it used to be. Might be the low turnover.

They have beerpools now - defunkt off course. The waitress told it was in use (don't know how many(?) times. After all would you go out and have a bath in beer?!? Must smell as 3pro mill in the car.

What would they do without the genius managment?

Edited by Tawai

Carrefore is now BigC Extra.

The German Microbrewery is still open every evening but mostly deserted.

The beer tastes flat and is wildly overpriced.

They recently enclosed the open air area with walls, which mean if you want to sit outside, you have to sit on the concrete benches in the open. They just put up some small umbrellas.

Oh, and as far as I know, Oktoberfest is finished this year on the 19th.

I think the future of that place looks dismal.

There are a couple other 'German' places in town that a quick search gave me. There's the Haus Munchen - not sure if it's still around - on the main drag of Loi Kroh, and then there's the Hoffbrauhaus in the Loi Kroh alley right near the McDonald's in the Night Bazaar. I'd wager there's a better chance of some Oktoberfest drinking to be had there.

And 5555 ! I just read an ad for an Okotberfest celebration at the D2, it mentioned some of the food, and then Singha draft.... Hmmm. Where to score the good beers ?

Wonder if there's something in City Now about it ?

It was a must see for visitors a few years ago. Great beer incredible music.

We stopped going there about 2 years ago after 2 visits where nothing was a patch on the past and almost embarasiing after we had told our visitors how good it , in particular the music,used to be.

They recently enclosed the open air area with walls, which mean if you want to sit outside, you have to sit on the concrete benches in the open. They just put up some small umbrellas.

I don't know if I would agree that it's "wildly overpriced". Especially when you consider how much somewhere like Number 1 bar charge for 500ml of draft Erdinger (roughly 190B), or Neighborhood on Nimman charge for draft Hoegaarden (200B+). If I remember correctly German Microbrewery charge around 200B for a litre of most of the beers. Saying that, if you go to the right booze shop, you can get two bottles of Erdinger for 250B.

I don't go there regularly, but I've never found the beer to be flat, quite the opposite.

It is a strange venue though. Very dark and dingy inside. It's a shame they have enclosed that outside area, that was the nicest part of it!

I had them provide a keg of Dunkel and a keg of Weisen for my wedding reception. Many people complimented the beer, but had never been to the brewery before, and these were foreigners who had been living in CM for years, or Thais who had been here all their lives.

It would be a shame if it closed down. But yeah, they need to do something to re-invent themselves. If I were them I'd be targetting the Payap university students, with it being so close.

I heard there used to be a crazy golf place over in that estate. Anyone experience it?

I don't know if I would agree that it's "wildly overpriced". Especially when you consider how much somewhere like Number 1 bar charge for 500ml of draft Erdinger (roughly 190B), or Neighborhood on Nimman charge for draft Hoegaarden (200B+). If I remember correctly German Microbrewery charge around 200B for a litre of most of the beers. Saying that, if you go to the right booze shop, you can get two bottles of Erdinger for 250B.

I don't go there regularly, but I've never found the beer to be flat, quite the opposite.

It is a strange venue though. Very dark and dingy inside. It's a shame they have enclosed that outside area, that was the nicest part of it!

I had them provide a keg of Dunkel and a keg of Weisen for my wedding reception. Many people complimented the beer, but had never been to the brewery before, and these were foreigners who had been living in CM for years, or Thais who had been here all their lives.

It would be a shame if it closed down. But yeah, they need to do something to re-invent themselves. If I were them I'd be targetting the Payap university students, with it being so close.

I heard there used to be a crazy golf place over in that estate. Anyone experience it?

The golf place closed years ago, its now a BB gun place I believe.. The other end of that area is very busy with a load of bars ( packed out last night ) and the walking street market on Friday and Saturday is worth a visit. The German brewery place has seen its best days I think, I'm sure it still fills up occasionally with office party's and wot not but I think in general there are too many other new places nearby for students ( that want cheap drinks ) to check out. Personally I'm not too keen on walking street markets these days so its a good quiet place to drink a beer whilst the family wanders around the market!

There are a couple other 'German' places in town that a quick search gave me. There's the Haus Munchen - not sure if it's still around - on the main drag of Loi Kroh, and then there's the Hoffbrauhaus in the Loi Kroh alley right near the McDonald's in the Night Bazaar. I'd wager there's a better chance of some Oktoberfest drinking to be had there.

And 5555 ! I just read an ad for an Okotberfest celebration at the D2, it mentioned some of the food, and then Singha draft.... Hmmm. Where to score the good beers ?

Wonder if there's something in City Now about it ?

A while since you were in the Night Bazaar, then.

All that remains of Haus Munchen are medium-happy memories. Kevin and Keng (now Red lion only) had to get out just before the bulldozer moved in.

The tall thin condotel at the back needed the space for big tour buses to swing in.

The bigger German place nearer the corner of Chang Klan is still there, but well out of our budget.

(Whoops. They did briefly run Haus Munchen Mk 11 further east along Loi Kroh, but that didn't last long, for some reason).

Can't wait to try Gunther's new(ish) 'G and M' behind Big C Extra (nee Carrefour) not far from the other debate on this thread about the Beer Haus that sounds to be sinking. Gunther and his wife have made a roaring success of their pork business and restaurant way out off the Saket-Borsang road.

If this place has the same quality and value we might become regulars.

Did not know that Gunther was opening so close to the city. I did make out to the G n M place years and years ago back b4 I was experienced enough to remember how I got there. Have always been meaning to go try it out again n see which way I'd swing in the buffet 'yay or nay' department (as per other tv threads on GnM). Do keep us posted about the new location, as I'd totally set aside some time and stomach space for short trip over to a new, closer location.

A while since you were in the Night Bazaar, then.

All that remains of Haus Munchen are medium-happy memories. Kevin and Keng (now Red lion only) had to get out just before the bulldozer moved in.

The tall thin condotel at the back needed the space for big tour buses to swing in.

The bigger German place nearer the corner of Chang Klan is still there, but well out of our budget.

(Whoops. They did briefly run Haus Munchen Mk 11 further east along Loi Kroh, but that didn't last long, for some reason).

Can't wait to try Gunther's new(ish) 'G and M' behind Big C Extra (nee Carrefour) not far from the other debate on this thread about the Beer Haus that sounds to be sinking. Gunther and his wife have made a roaring success of their pork business and restaurant way out off the Saket-Borsang road.

If this place has the same quality and value we might become regulars.

The place you mention near Big C is not worth a visit IMHO. We ended up there one night by accident and I didn't even know the name of the place nor did I realize the connection until we were leaving. The food was prepared by a young Thai girl. Having lived in Germany before I can tell you that the girl had no formal training in German cooking whatsoever. I ordered sausages and potato salad (kind of what the menu is limited to) and the g/f ordered Thai food. My food came first and the sausages had some kind of sweet Thai sauce on them as well as some kind of brown powder. The potato salad was terrible. It was so sweet and over-salted and it also had pieces of some kind of meat in it. I never had potato salad in Germany that tasted anything like that. The g/f's Thai food came about 30 minutes or more after my food. One girl kept popping out of the kitchen to say "only a minute longer"... When the Thai food came, the g/f discovered why it took so long. It was apparently frozen and quickly thawed making it a strange texture. Neither of us finished our food. We paid and left. I've walked past there a couple of times since then and it seems to have a complete Thai clientele. It really is 'farang food for Thais' I'm afraid to say (which may well be their target clientele).

In all fairness, that was about 2 months ago. Maybe it has improved.

Edited by elektrified

"The golf place closed years ago, its now a BB gun place I believe."

...and that place has been closed for a good while...funny too because it seems to have been a paint-ball sort of idea except you shoot each other with BB guns? Whoa!

By "flat," I meant it tasted only mildly carbonated and had a sort of "made from a kit in the basement" (without good success) flavor.

Maybe I just don't get around like I should; the prices for a small glass of beer were, to me, high for the aforementioned product.

I had them provide a keg of Dunkel and a keg of Weisen for my wedding reception. Many people complimented the beer...........

I am glad to hear this. I have been wanting to go back and have some freshly brewed beer and was wondering if they were open. And having a keg or two for a party sounds perfect.

I went there this week.

They showed me the menu, no Oktoberfest ale, so I got a Dunkel. and sat down.

Then I saw the notice on the wall, Oktoberfest ale, only brewed once a year, so I had to have one.

The whole place was open, so I could sit in the hall, in the room, or outside.

Only 5 or 6 customers

Also they ave wheatbeer, but I dont drink that

Its open as of yesterday .They have changed the front area.They now have a garden and play area for children to the left .Did not venture inside but when i was last there maybe 6 weeks ago the beer tasted good and i liked the band .Very few customers though .Hope it keeps going .

I went there this week.

They showed me the menu, no Oktoberfest ale, so I got a Dunkel. and sat down.

Then I saw the notice on the wall, Oktoberfest ale, only brewed once a year, so I had to have one.

The whole place was open, so I could sit in the hall, in the room, or outside.

Only 5 or 6 customers

Also they ave wheatbeer, but I dont drink that

Was it good?