Thai Capital's Barriers Hold But Floods Still Menace

Lite Beer

Thai capital's barriers hold but floods still menace

BANGKOK, October 16, 2011 (AFP) - Flood defences protecting the Thai capital held up on Sunday, but the advancing waters that have swamped the inland still threaten to engulf Bangkok in a disaster that has claimed 300 lives.

Thailand's worst floods in decades have inundated huge swathes of the kingdom, swallowing homes and businesses, shutting down industry, and forcing tens of thousands of people to seek refuge in shelters.

Authorities are battling to protect the capital which is ringed by defensive walls that have so far largely prevented major flooding. But their efforts have left areas outside the city to bear the brunt of the rising waters.

"The Thai government will do everything it can to help reduce the suffering of people from the floods and I hope everyone will join together so that we can get through this difficult time," said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

A large volume of water is bearing down on Bangkok, and a seasonal high tide is expected to make it harder for the flood waters to flow out to sea.

In an attempt to speed the flow through waterways towards the Gulf of Thailand, authorities have organised around a thousand boats to line up with engines running on the Chao Phraya, Bang Pa Kong and Tha Chin rivers.

Yingluck, speaking from the banks of the Chao Phraya in Nonthaburi province, north of Bangkok, said the boats' propellors would move only a relatively small amount of water but that the measure was still "worthwhile and efficient".

Sandbags have been piled alongside waterways and authorities have been dredging and draining canals to allow more water to flow through, as well as diverting water to areas outside the sprawling city.

Conditions in Bangkok remain mostly normal and Suvarnabhumi Airport -- the capital's main air hub which has floodwalls several metres high -- was operating as usual.

Thunderstorms and heavy monsoon raised caused minor flooding on roads in the centre of the capital over the weekend, but the authorities have said they are confident they can prevent serious inundation in the low-lying city.

Homes and businesses in inner Bangkok have been fortified with sandbags in preparation for possible inundation, and many residents have stocked up on food, water and flashlights.

The floods, several metres deep in places, are currently affecting about one third of Thailand's provinces and have left at least 297 people dead.

The United States sent a military transport aircraft from Japan carrying thousands of sandbags and 10 US Marines who are part of a survey team to assess how to help Thailand cope with the flooding, the US embassy said.

The floods have dealt a heavy blow to Thailand's economy, disrupting production of cars, electronics and other goods.

Japanese automakers including Toyota have suspended production in the kingdom due to water damage to facilities or a shortage of components.

A fourth major industrial estate has been inundated in Ayutthaya just north of the capital after the floodwalls were breached, prompting an evacuation of employees.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-16

Still with the boats. Isn't it time one of the "authorities" here consulted a primary school science book and dropped the idea?

The idea makes for good press, which is extremely important these days. Doesn't matter if it works or not.

The only thing it makes is a mockery of the government.

What if the boat thing does work just a little? every little helps.

Why dont you get off your <deleted> instead of moaning and go out and help people??

Can't.....The government requires a work permit for any volunteer work, as people who tried to help after the tsunami learned. So all the farangs can do is sit on the sidelines.

"Yingluck........... said the boats' propellors would move only a relatively small amount of water but that the measure was still "worthwhile and efficient".

A giant step away from tripling the flow rate. "Relatively small" is probably pollie-talk for what engineer's refer to as SFA, but efficiency is a well understood engineering term.

Considering that the boats have to maintain a velocity relative to the water equal and opposite to the current flow just to remain stationary relative to the terra firma, and in many cases this will be the best part of full throttle, I would equate the efficiency to that of a baling bucket with a bloody big hole in the bottom.

It will be interesting to see if anyone from the local press, engineers or whatever, actually have the cajones to point out that this stunt is a waste of time and fuel , not to mention the ridicule it will attract.

Why dont you get off your <deleted> instead of moaning and go out and help people??

Can't.....The government requires a work permit for any volunteer work, as people who tried to help after the tsunami learned. So all the farangs can do is sit on the sidelines.

So when you see an old lady struggling with her bags in thailand you wouldnt offer to help due to the risk of having no work permit? If you saw some old guy struggling to protect his house using sands bags you would walk on past? amazing.

There is a difference but seems its an easy excuse for you. Shame.

A number of off-topic posts have been deleted. Please stick to the topic of flooding and the barricades.

There are other topics and better times which are more suited to the discussion of politics in Thailand.

There are people who are viewing these threads for information, let's do the courtesy for the time being of making it an easy read.

And be catched working without work permits?? No, thanks. I'll better be watching.

*deleted quote edited out*

Sure i am. There is nothing i can do at the moment. done my bit for our community and if people start again i will go join them. Besides i wouldn't feel good if i just sat here and did nothing. Cant go to other villages as my car is parked somewhere safe miles away. It would be stupid of me to leave the village just in case i got stuck somewhere. don't fancy walking back knee high in water with the amount of dangerous snakes here.

Edited by Scott
deleted quote edited out

The shame lies with the government that they will not allow volunteer work by foreigners. I have no idea why. But during the tsunami aftermath, volunteers were either arrested or harassed , clearly making the point they were not wanted. To the amazement of all..... And I am fairly sure that unless the labor laws were changed last week, the same will hold true for this disaster. And yes of course I would help the old lady with the bags, unless there was a Thai policeman watching....... :-)

Edited by Scott
deleted quote edited out

So true. I dont think the thais even thought about some farang working/helping without a permit. As i stated in another post a few of the guys were cops and one works for immigration at chang wattana, Everyone was happy i helped in fact were making fun of me lol . Today a pick up drove round my village giving people updates on various locations here using a loud speaker . They got to my house and said "thanks to the farang from england with the good heart that helped yesterday, etc etc."

I feel proud i helped and proud of everyone as we all pulled together.

I'd be feeling very guilty and ashamed if i just watched them from my window with my feet up.

Edited by Scott
deleted quote edited out

I saw lots of farang cleaning up after last years red shirt protests. Lots cleaning the streets when red shirts poured blood everywhere. Im sure there was many police around. Guess they are all banged in the hilton.

In fact there was a article on TV about it.

Edited by Scott
deleted quote edited out

So true. I dont think the thais even thought about some farang working/helping without a permit. As i stated in another post a few of the guys were cops and one works for immigration at chang wattana, Everyone was happy i helped infact were making fun of me lol . Today a pick up drove round my village giving people updates on various locations here using a loud speaker . They got to my house and said "thanks to the farang from england with the good heart that helped yesterday, etc etc."

I feel proud i helped and proud of everyone as we all pulled together.

Id be feeling very quilty and ashamed if i just watched them from my window with my feet up.

You must understand the difference b/w "Thai ppl" and "Thai govt".

Helping Thai ppl has nothing to deal with Thai govt.....and be catched working w/o work permit has nothing about Thai ppl themselves.

PS: most of Thai ppl blame to Thai govt for their idiocity, incompetence and corruption. Ask your nearest Thai fella - you'll learn that by yourself.... :)

Sometime one has no choice if a suggestion is made by the "brilliant" one, even all professors got to support it.

"Yingluck........... said the boats' propellors would move only a relatively small amount of water but that the measure was still "worthwhile and efficient".

A giant step away from tripling the flow rate. "Relatively small" is probably pollie-talk for what engineer's refer to as SFA, but efficiency is a well understood engineering term.

Considering that the boats have to maintain a velocity relative to the water equal and opposite to the current flow just to remain stationary relative to the terra firma, and in many cases this will be the best part of full throttle, I would equate the efficiency to that of a baling bucket with a bloody big hole in the bottom.

It will be interesting to see if anyone from the local press, engineers or whatever, actually have the cajones to point out that this stunt is a waste of time and fuel , not to mention the ridicule it will attract.

"The United States sent a military transport aircraft from Japan carrying thousands of sandbags"

if those bags were filled with sand, than it's a huge waste of fuel.

instead they should bring medicines, food rations, flood equipment (inflatable boats, canoes). A lot of military medicines and food expires and is thrown away, sending them to people in a dear need of help for an immediate use would be wiser, than sandbags

Also an TV article here about tsunami volunteers getting arrested. Volunteers getting arrested As always the law is sort of selectively enforced...... I am a building contractor, would love to do some volunteer work for construction. But I sure as hell am not going to get arrested for it. And yes , I suspect if you lived upcountry in a village, the local policeman would be looked down upon if he arrested the lone farang there trying to help out... :-) Good for you to help. But the police clearly had no problem enforcing this law in Phuket. But anyway things are happening right now, let's wait and see how the aftermath plays out. Maybe the government will make a special announcement tomorrow that all farangs are welcome to perform volunteer work, with no punishment.

That link doesn't have any foreigners being arrested for volunteering during the Tsunami. It is an article saying the police will begin enforcing work permits for charity workers, months after the tsunami hit.

Basically, if you want to help out during a disaster, you should. If you want to do some kind of 'volunteer' work for months or years on end after a disaster is over, you need to get a permit and comply with the law.

Hardly a thread goes by without someone spouting this trite simplification. Should we all be condescending and accept the glaring mistakes here as "the Thai way of doing things" ?

I hope for your sake that people here like and respect you, but it is rarely the case with sycophants.

Edited by Scott
deleted quote edited out

+1 Had a friend get in trouble for precisely this during the tsunami. a pity.

"The United States sent a military transport aircraft from Japan carrying thousands of sandbags"

if those bags were filled with sand, than it's a huge waste of fuel.

instead they should bring medicines, food rations, flood equipment (inflatable boats, canoes). A lot of military medicines and food expires and is thrown away, sending them to people in a dear need of help for an immediate use would be wiser, than sandbags

Yeah they just sent the empty bags, not the sand. 18,000 of them. Probably the best thing they can bring, so many of them are needed. There is already plenty of food and medicine just a matter of distributing it. Maybe get some of those boats they're wasting trying to push the water out to sea and use them to deliver it. From the pictures I saw of the operation today there a number of small navy vessels and inflatable boats involved that you'd think would be better used for delivering food.

A post has been removed as a poster had deleted quoted post headers as he had reached the maximum number of nested quotes allowed leading to misunderstanding of who posted what. When replying to certain parts of a post, learn how to use the Insert quotation feature.

A post has been removed as a poster had deleted quoted post headers as he had reached the maximum number of nested quotes allowed leading to misunderstanding of who posted what. When replying to certain parts of a post, learn how to use the Insert quotation feature.

Is there a thread with instructions on how to delete quotes without deleting all the headers?

I know it's not that hard, but there are a lot of people that don't seem to know how to delete a single quote out of a bunch of nested quotes.

Still with the boats. Isn't it time one of the "authorities" here consulted a primary school science book and dropped the idea?

Has anyone put into the equation the sheer mass of the ships hulls slowing down the flow of water. :blink:

The hull friction must be matched by the propeller thrust for the boat to remain stationary. The additional thrust taken up by the mooring ropes is the impetus given to the water, but it is miniscule compared to the volume of water flowing in the river.