Recommendations For Education Visa After Crackdown

Hey guys,

I spent December to July in Thailand last year, using the standard 2 month tourist visa and a crap load of airmiles to stay in the country.

After trouble getting my tourist visa renewed in Singapore, I got tired of the uncertainty and moved back to England.

Now I miss Thailand so much more having readjusted, and I'd love to go back. However, the route I was looking to take - getting an education visa - seems to be facing a crackdown.

I read a couple of horror stories on this forum about immigration starting to implement random questions at border check to see if your language learning is up to standards.

My intention would be to take up classes, but I'd want to attend a school that is actually worthwhile and would help me with Thai. Not one of the visa processing factories where the teaching is poor. I would also need to keep renewing for at least 3 years, since I have two dogs and learnt in July how expensive it can be to relocate them via quarantine back to the UK (3K each, nice!). I can't afford the risk of having to return to England and shed out another 6K on the spot.

Another option I was looking at was to launch a company out there. I already run my own online business earning over 100k/year, but after reading up, it looks like an almighty pain in the arse (having to sign away 51% of the company, meet hiring requirements etc). I'm 23, so the retirement visa is a long way off!

My questions:

1. Which is the best language school for an education visa in Bangkok?

2. How certain can I be that if I go to the classes and make the effort to learn, I'll be able to stay for 3 years without facing this new crackdown?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

"How certain can I be that if I go to the classes and make the effort to learn, I'll be able to stay for 3 years without facing this new crackdown?"

Probably about as certain/uncertain as anything else nowadays.

Should be a fortuneteller along shortly to help with that.

Are you saying that the 'crackdown' is having to show that you actually learned something from your studies?

There are other things you can study to get an ED visa. It doesn't have to be Thai.

I haven't heard of anyone studying Muay Thai having to hit/kick someone as part of the renewal process.

Are you saying that the 'crackdown' is having to show that you actually learned something from your studies?

No, like I said, I expect and would want to attend the classes.

My concern is that by picking the wrong school, or the wrong program, I could associate myself with the people on Education visas who aren't actually using them properly.

No, don't worry about that.

If you do study, you will go through a minor interrogation if you learned or not at immigration every 3 month, speaking form, no write/read skills

If you don't study, the immigration makes business with the school, you pay a bribe, and won't get any interrogation on thai skills

ps : she does speak painfully quiet and also looks down so you can't really read her lips either, so if you suffer from hearing problems when there is simultaneous noises from 50 insignificant others you'll have a problem

Edited by poanoi

Okay, if you want to learn Thai then you'll learn it. You may have to try out a few different schools, some will even let you try their schools for free to see if you like their program. I attend Bangkok University. I'm not studying at a Thai language school. You can study Thai class at Bangkok University, or a number of other universities around Thailand. If you're looking for something more intense you should try to check a different school. I can guarantee you though if you sign up for Thai classes through a university then you won't have to worry about all that stuff.

Although you may end up spending more money.

ps : she does speak painfully quiet and also looks down so you can't really read her lips either, so if you suffer from hearing problems when there is simultaneous noises from 50 insignificant others you'll have a problem

Yeah this is the sort of thing that worries me.

If I'm taking the classes, doing my best to learn, and end up in trouble at immigration just because of an innocent communication breakdown - that seems extremely harsh. It would be reassuring if they at least contacted the school to verify you've been attending before hitting dropping the Cancelled bomb!

If you're looking for something more intense you should try to check a different school. I can guarantee you though if you sign up for Thai classes through a university then you won't have to worry about all that stuff.

I plan to teach myself as much as I can using online courses, books and etc. I'd just rather have the backup of good classes for the visa and also to be more social. That was my problem last time round. Took a lot away from the experience being a stumbling buffoon at Thai.

Outside the universities, the most serious courses are listed in

I haven't checked, but I'd guess that any of them would be able to provide assistance for a visa, provided you give them enough advanced notice and sign up for long enough in advance.

However, you'll probably run out of levels to study before 3 years is up and then would need to switch to private lessons or a different school with a different focus.

I already run my own online business earning over 100k/year

If you intend to continue this business while in Thailand without a work permit it might be a larger worry than an ED visa exam in the long haul.

Hmm, true, I was under the assumption that as long as you're strictly avoiding business that involves Thailand, you'd be left alone?

My business is all on the web, no goods involved or meeting anybody in person - and the registered office is in the UK. Is there a way that they'd trace this or kick me out for it?

My questions:

1. Which is the best language school for an education visa in Bangkok?

2. How certain can I be that if I go to the classes and make the effort to learn, I'll be able to stay for 3 years without facing this new crackdown?

Any advice would be much appreciated

The most reliable option to obtain a long term ED visa is learning Thai with the Walen school, most branches, most students, best support and we believe the best teaching method. If you or anybody else need help contact Walen. We will take good care of you.

Walen School - most reliable ED visa assistance.

If you intend to continue this business while in Thailand without a work permit it might be a larger worry than an ED visa exam in the long haul.

Hmm, true, I was under the assumption that as long as you're strictly avoiding business that involves Thailand, you'd be left alone?

My business is all on the web, no goods involved or meeting anybody in person - and the registered office is in the UK. Is there a way that they'd trace this or kick me out for it?

It could become an issue if someone wanted to make it one as there is no law allowing such work and it would be considered work by Thai definition. And it could be more severe than just asking you to leave. Probably will not happen but it will always be a risk until/if provisions are made for such remote business or you obtain Thai status for the business. As said it likely will continue to be winked at for most but it is a risk you need to know (however small).

It could become an issue if someone wanted to make it one as there is no law allowing such work and it would be considered work by Thai definition. And it could be more severe than just asking you to leave. Probably will not happen but it will always be a risk until/if provisions are made for such remote business or you obtain Thai status for the business. As said it likely will continue to be winked at for most but it is a risk you need to know (however small).

That's crazy, how do most people on Education visas manage it? I assume they must be earning money from somewhere. Are they all flirting with this same risk?

I looked in to the options for starting a Thai company, and while the capital wouldn't be a problem, I just don't like the restrictions in place on things like having seven shareholders, or a majority Thai ownership. I feel like I'd be massively handicapping any business from day one by surrendering to the bureaucracy of it all. I understand the need for any company to boost the Thai economy, but having so much red tape just makes it a turn-off.

It's so frustrating, especially when the other SE Asian countries are so much more relaxed!

"It would be reassuring if they at least contacted the school to verify you've been attending before hitting dropping the Cancelled bomb!"

I believe 'attendance' is part of the required paperwork you need for extensions.

"That's crazy, how do most people on Education visas manage it?"

"It's so frustrating, especially when the other SE Asian countries are so much more relaxed!"

There you go, another option.

That's crazy, how do most people on Education visas manage it? I assume they must be earning money from somewhere. Are they all flirting with this same risk?

Yes, they are. As Lopburi3 explained: "It could become an issue if someone wanted to make it one". Let me spell it out for you a bit more elaborately: you could get in trouble if somebody grassed on you. To avoid the minimal risk that exists, you must not work, ie do not use the word "work", treat as a dirty word that must never leave your lips, not even if someone you upset or who merely thinks you upset him gets you drunk as a skunk and tries to make you say that you work and then denounce you to the immigration police or the labour department. Know what to answer when you're asked what you are doing in Thailand and where the money comes from to support your life style. In other words, you yourself are the likely risk.

There is nothing illegal about living in Thailand long term with a non-ED visa and extensions of stay to

• study
  • travel
  • enjoy the good food and the company of friends
  • shop
  • use a computer to browse the web, update your blogs, post on your social community sites, communicate on paper or electronically with anybody in the world, and the like
  • sing in the shower
  • polish your own shoes
  • receive enough dividends from shares you own (eg. have your own company) and interest from bank accounts to allow you to have a good life in Thailand without having to do a day's work

To summarise: you are free to do any or all of the above and generally enjoy the good life but do not work in Thailand, never ever, unless you have a work permit.

It's so frustrating, especially when the other SE Asian countries are so much more relaxed!

As Terry said, if there are other countries with easier visa's, who don't you go there? I'm guessing you won't, and you wouldn't if they'd pay you. So there is your answer why their visa's may be perceived as 'easier'. They haven't got people banging down the door so to speak...

As for your company - hire a lawyer. Set up a parent company in HK and a service provider co. in Thailand, which grants you your work permit and a living salary etc. Sure it will cost a bit more, but you want to stay right? These costs will also be offset by the tax savings running things out of HK with respect to tax.

Edited by samran

www.thailanguagesolutions1502.com I think is the correct web address. I spent three months, there.100 hours learning listening and speaking, and writing with phonetics.

I attended 3 hours a day, three days a week. I was satisfied. I had sent them money by bank transfer and they sent the paperwork for the Thai Embassy to get the visa. Six months or a year visa is a good start, it can be renewed as you continue to study.

The school is legitimate and offers both private and group study at any level. They have more than one location in Bangkok. There are many schools ask for references, that is what I did, I asked for three references, one happened to be in the city I was living, I called him he was a university professor, he recommended Thai Language Solutions, that sealed the deal for me.

I have registered with the ABC Language school in Pattaya, I believe the school has numerous other locations throughout Thailand. I have found them to be professional and very helpful in assisting me to get me Ed.Visa. Looking forward to getting started in a few weeks.

www.thailanguagesolutions1502.com I think is the correct web address. I spent three months, there.100 hours learning listening and speaking, and writing with phonetics.

I attended 3 hours a day, three days a week. I was satisfied. I had sent them money by bank transfer and they sent the paperwork for the Thai Embassy to get the visa. Six months or a year visa is a good start, it can be renewed as you continue to study.

The school is legitimate and offers both private and group study at any level. They have more than one location in Bangkok. There are many schools ask for references, that is what I did, I asked for three references, one happened to be in the city I was living, I called him he was a university professor, he recommended Thai Language Solutions, that sealed the deal for me.

No, like I said, I expect and would want to attend the classes.

My concern is that by picking the wrong school, or the wrong program, I could associate myself with the people on Education visas who aren't actually using them properly.

Because you are in the U.K. you have the opportunity to make a 1 year ED visa multiple entry , with the paperwork from ANY recognized school , witch save you from Thai immigration risks for language checks/ skils...; because you just do your border runs

every 3 months ,

DO NOT let change by school your 1 year ED multiple in extension as they use that system for those who get ED visa in neighboring counrys...

At the border immigrtion no exams , they just stamp you out and in again :whistling:

By making your last border run just before expiring ED visa you squeeze another 3 months out of it , so almost a total of 15 months ..;) , i did so at my satisfaction for the long visa opportunities anyway :D

Edited by david555

Thanks for all the good advice above. I appreciate the help.

The multi-entry ED visa sounds like my best option - although "purchasing" the B visa would definitely take my mind off the work related concerns.

I worked the entire time I was in Thailand last time round and it was never an issue, but it's extremely discrete work and I'd definitely keep extra quiet on hearing some of the stuff here!

Edited by Maestro
Deleted the part of the post that refers to a post that I deleted just now.

If you need any help you know you can count on Walen, this industry if growing and we will be hearing all the time about new schools that now want to teach Thai and also offer ED visa assistance. I do not think there will be any major crackdown on any schools that are following the law and are not 'selling' visas as some obviously do.

Walen School - peace mind.

Thank you Colabamumbai for recommending the school that worked for you over and over again, you must have studied there a few years ago. I personally heard very little about that school but certainly worth checking. We follow very closely what is happening in this industry for the sake of being well informed and this school is mentioned very rarely if ever in the context of teaching Thai or providing an ED visa assistance. :jap: It most likely means that it does not have a lot of students. Boutique type of school, could be very interesting for some.

Walen School - learning Thai is a good idea!

I think this is the correct link: http://www.thaisolutions1502.com/

To summarise: you are free to do any or all of the above and generally enjoy the good life but do not work in Thailand, never ever, unless you have a work permit.

You know, it's funny. Whenever I get a ticket, the cop might ask me what do i do for work. I say I work on the computer. Never had any problems. Maybe next time I'll say

"no" or "I go to school", which is still technically correct.

If you can get in touch with an honorary consulate, they may be a bit more flexible with the 1 year visa stamps. Plenty of diving schools willing to give you an invite.

Edited by 4evermaat

I just got an extension on my ED visa today, my 2nd.

I attend class regularly but I'm not a particularly diligent or good student. I would not necessarily recommend the school I attend (separate issue) but they provided the correct paperwork for me today.

One person told me the immigration officer had him write his name in Thai, which he was able to do. I think we've all heard the story "big fish eats little fish" and how a guy studying Thai for 7 years did understand that short sentence.

During my processing today, I was not asked a single question about my studies or asked to speak/write Thai language - there was literally no discussion of my Thai language study.

I don't think immigration officers have completely free hands to test and inquire about Thai language skills of visa applicants - they are professionals.