Baby Fish

mikeoz

Hi, I have a 15000+ litre in ground tank that I wish to stock with fish. Not much interested in the pretty sort, Koi, Goldfish etc.

Would like something I can occasionally eat!

Not much point in TupTim or other cheaply available species. Does anyone know where I can buy baby Pla Krapong (Barramundi), Trout or other top of the range fish (open to suggestions) in Chiang Mai Area?

Thanks

Edited by mikeoz

I was going to reply but I am not in Thailand right now. Trout are NOT an option. Trout need clean, cold, oxygenated water. Species like tilapia and catfish do well in ponds and they grow quickly. Fish eat mosquitos and keep water clean. If you are planning on eating them, Keep in mind that fish taste is determined by what they eat. Predator fish like snakeheads and jungle perch taste good because they eat minnows.

Thanks Ian,

Have you got any idea if there is a supplier of snakehead / jungle perch in the Chiang Mai area.

Also my tank has good quality well oxygenated water, all be it a bit warm in summer!

I was going to reply but I am not in Thailand right now. Trout are NOT an option. Trout need clean, cold, oxygenated water. Species like tilapia and catfish do well in ponds and they grow quickly. Fish eat mosquitos and keep water clean. If you are planning on eating them, Keep in mind that fish taste is determined by what they eat. Predator fish like snakeheads and jungle perch taste good because they eat minnows.

Look at some of the lake fishing websites for Thailand and see what these stocked fishing parks put into their lakes to get an idea of what will work. Only word of caution is that in times of floods as just a couple of weeks ago up here, it's likely that your fish may escape and make their way into local waterways. Some of these fishing lakes are very baht-hungry and are importing very dangerous fish which, when escaped, prove to be dangerous invasive species that can outcompete the native species. So I urge you to have a look at what works, but then balance that with what is either native to Thailand or SE Asia so as to be a responsible fish farmer.

The ones that work best and easiest around are going to be pla nin (nile tilapia), pla tubtim (red freshwater snapper), and pla duk the easiest and maybe fastest growing catfish. If it were my lake I'd also put in pla saway or pl beuk, both species of larger catfish.