Dehumidifiers

chuppachops

A dehumidifier is nothing more than an air conditioner with the hot air blown back into the room instead of outside. The energy use of a dehumidifier is essentially identical to that of an air conditioner, but it doesn't cool down the room. It simply changes the latent heat in the humid air to sensible, dry heat, raising the temperature of the room in the process. Since you "sweat loads" why on earth would you not simply run the air conditioner instead?

Dehumidifiers are useful in mostly cold, humid conditions where you would be uncomfortable further cooling the room.

I'm not sure why you are considering getting one, but I don't think you understand what they are.

A dehumidifier is nothing more than an air conditioner with the hot air blown back into the room instead of outside. The energy use of a dehumidifier is essentially identical to that of an air conditioner, but it doesn't cool down the room. It simply changes the latent heat in the humid air to sensible, dry heat, raising the temperature of the room in the process. Since you "sweat loads" why on earth would you not simply run the air conditioner instead?

Dehumidifiers are useful in mostly cold, humid conditions where you would be uncomfortable further cooling the room.

I'm not sure why you are considering getting one, but I don't think you understand what they are.

run the aircon, don't open the window much and it keeps dry for some time (for people who don't like Aircons)

There are other types of dehumidifiers than heaters too. In Sweden we have some balls, which bind humidity, no electric involved. (I don't know anyone, who have tested in Thailand.)

Concerning the second red, it isn't sure he can solve it by that. People can stand dry heat much better than dry heat. (E g I can sit "for ever" in a 100 C dry sauna, but can't stay so long time in a much colder wet sauna, which can complicate living in thai weather for me :) I don't know if that's general, but in same temperature I swet almost nothing if it's dry, but rather much in wet heat.

The Daikin aircon shop in Udon has a Whirlpool dehumidifier available for sale. It's been on display for over 10 years.....no one has bought it yet!

We use Daikin air conditioners, more to dehumidify the home than to cool it. It sucks water out of our home much better than dehumidifiers that we had years ago in Okinawa.

I had a dehumidifer in the UK, bought it from John Lewis for I think £125. Different sizes for different rooms. I bought it for the condensation on the windows in the winter, very good, also echanges heat back into the room. Empty the water out every so often, all automatic, so when the water tank is full ( usually 2.5 or 4.5 litres ) it shuts down so you dont get a flood. Never seen one here, not sure its going to solve your problems.

I brought a couple over from the UK, they are great in the wardrobes, just empty the water container every couple of days, or every day in Samui during the forth coming monsoon season. And they do not create heat!!!!!

These you can buy over here as well. I pick up these refillable ones at Home Pro. As you say, great for the wardrobe.

post-70239-0-79705100-1318934635_thumb.j

Guess the OP is looking for something larger though, (the appliance type), as he mentions room size and coating on window frames and walls.

I brought a couple over from the UK, they are great in the wardrobes, just empty the water container every couple of days, or every day in Samui during the forth coming monsoon season. And they do not create heat!!!!!

These you can buy over here as well. I pick up these refillable ones at Home Pro. As you say, great for the wardrobe.

Guess the OP is looking for something larger though, (the appliance type), as he mentions room size and coating on window frames and walls.

I know the ones you mean, but the ones I brought from UK are small electrical ones. They have a 12 volt transformer.

thx for the replies its just the aircon it a huge one, and it costs a fortune to run but i didnt think of using the "dry" mode! il give it a try thankyou...

I think not necessary to run it all the time. just all couple of hours (depending if you open the window or not). And most probably you don't need it bone-dry, just a bit reduced moisture.

thx for the replies its just the aircon it a huge one, and it costs a fortune to run but i didnt think of using the "dry" mode! il give it a try thankyou...

if you run it at 25 for 8hrs a night it wont cost much more than 1000baht.. set it higher and its even cheaper..

I have bought and used a dehumidifier specifically for controlling the humidity in stored "seeds". In this case we could not compromise temperature, but needed to get the humidity below 35-40%. I have no idea where it was purchased, but it was in Thailand. The unit was a commercial unit, I think it was in the 30-40k price range and dehumidified the inside of a sealed 20 foot container. The container had a chilling unit, so we were able to play with temp to some degree. It was used in a factory setting where we had over 1500KVA connected, so I have no idea what it cost to run??????? But they are available :-)

I know the ones you mean, but the ones I brought from UK are small electrical ones. They have a 12 volt transformer.

Cool, didn't know there where small electrical ones. Guess it makes sense for the car, boat, RV market.

Will keep an eye out for one of these, would be much better, than periodically having to refill the ones I have with crystals.