Housekeepers

BeAstMaSter

so, I'll be arriving Pattaya mid December and will be looking for a housekeeper/maid

live-in / live-out, doesn't matter to me ....

3 days / week, 4-6 hours per day

duties will consist of light cleaning, light errands, and possibly cooking 1 meal each day (3 meals/week total), and possibly laundry .....

with the above info, is 4,000-6000 baht/month fair and honest wages?

if not (or of too much), what's the average wage for housekeeping staff?

As always, thanks for any input/help

Thanks for the replies guys, helps plenty

I figured up to 500B per day, so sounds like I was in the right ballpark

and to me, it's only natural to compensate/reward for someone who does a good job

same philosophy I use when in P.I, take care of them , and they'll take care of you..........

in case I don't find someone (as if that'll happen), anyone have any experience with the cleaning "agencies"?

any more reputable than others? or any I should definitely stay away from ?

I don't want someone to do everything, but I have a bad back, been thru 4 major surgeries,

the spine looks like railroad tracks :blink: and just want someone to help with the odds-n-ends

Edited by BeAstMaSter

in the bangkok area, typical wage is 8,000-12,000 /m for full work week, plus yearly bonus of one months salary (but really good ones are as high as 16,000)

some variables are whether she is thai or burmese, live-in or live-out (live-in pay is cheaper, but then you are paying for her meals and accommodations), with experience/references, and level of English skills.

also, most maids steal and lie, some more than others, (i've been through about 6 of them over the last five years), so honesty and integrity is pretty important, especially if you leave the house/flat in their care for extended periods.

good luck.

we pay 10k per month for a full time live in thai, helps take care of the baby, cooks, cleans etc.

doesn't sound like you need a lot done, you're probably better off just finding a part timer to come 3-4 times a week, pay her 300-500b a day.

Edited by foxxx

with the above info, is 4,000-6000 baht/month fair and honest wages?

if not (or of too much), what's the average wage for housekeeping staff?

i'd say there is no average wage as there is no average length of a string. it all depends how reliable, clean and honest the maid/housekeeper is. one major factor is communication. if you don't speak Thai and you have to explain a simple task for half an hour using pidgin, grimaces and gestures you will soon get fed up. if you are willing to pay up to 6k Baht for a part time maid you might as well add another 1 or 2k and get somebody with a fair command of english, employ her full time and use her full time according to her capabilities.

i mentioned "capabilites" but i did NOT mean sex!

if I was looking for sex, I'd go get a bar girl, or asked about "benefits", I just want a housekeeper.........

as for average wages, with foxxx paying 10000 for fulltime, and I want part time days and hours, then I figured the 6000 was adequate

I'm not a cheap charlie, but not a walking atm either ........... and didn't want to look like an idiot if the "average" wages for locals was higher than I quoted

the 300 Bt/day minimum wage is kinda what I needed to know ;)

my biggest issue is like rob says, the lying and stealing, and I will not stand for either. I will definitely be checking references.

dealt with same issues in PI, took me almost 1 1/2 years to find honest/good worker, kept her for over 3 years and compensated very well, imho

thanks for all the replies, gave me exactly what I needed to know.

Naam's argument is valid. Paying low wages will only get you frustration. Paying decent part time wages is a bit of a waste as for just a little more you can have full time.

If you live in a mansion with servants quarters then you are fine with a live in but if you live in a 1 bed condo, live in is hardly practical. I found that live in only works if there is a clear separation between their living space and yours. Adding a computer, extra True cable box (Bt500 a month) and a decent tv in her room will pay huge dividends as she wouldn't be able to finance it herself. Allowing them use of a motorbike is best avoided as you will be forever dealing with accidents, damage and possible theft. Pay her enough to allow her to buy her won bike if she wants to.

I liked a live in but be sure you get one who can do what you want, not a pretty one who turns your head and would rather have her own maid !

Naam's argument is valid. Paying low wages will only get you frustration. Paying decent part time wages is a bit of a waste as for just a little more you can have full time.

If you live in a mansion with servants quarters then you are fine with a live in but if you live in a 1 bed condo, live in is hardly practical. I found that live in only works if there is a clear separation between their living space and yours. Adding a computer, extra True cable box (Bt500 a month) and a decent tv in her room will pay huge dividends as she wouldn't be able to finance it herself. Allowing them use of a motorbike is best avoided as you will be forever dealing with accidents, damage and possible theft. Pay her enough to allow her to buy her won bike if she wants to.

I liked a live in but be sure you get one who can do what you want, not a pretty one who turns your head and would rather have her own maid !

wholeheartedly seconded!