Let The City Die

Soi Sauce

The gov. allows Bkk to get swamped. The commercial and admin centre of Thailand is destroyed. A temporaray capital is required; somewhere free from floods where the rehab can be controlled.

Where? Chiang Mai of course. The home of the pm's favourite brother, well away from the army, who are bkk based and severely hampered by flooding, and well protected by hundreds of kilometers of red shirt villages between them and bangers.

Nothing to stop a return. Clever by Thai standards; predictable if you have the ability to think.

^Chachengsao was proposed to be the new government centre of Thailand 15 odd years ago.

It's unlikely it will ever be Chang Mai.

Depends of whether an impregnable power base or a sensible alternative is required.

Current times would opt for the former.

OP: Just how did you come up with Chiang Mai is free of flooding? CM was flooded only a few weeks ago. People are building barriers and putting up sandbags as many are convinced there will be MORE flooding in CM.

Edited by mesquite

OP: Just how did you come up with Chiang Mai is free of flooding? CM was flooded only a few weeks ago. People are building barriers and putting up sandbags as many are convinced there will be MORE flooding in CM.

But is it water they are afraid of or a swarm of stupid self serving politicians :D

Do you live in CM?

Yes some flooding a few weeks ago but very limited and life went on. Today dry, the ping river is high but not flooding and the rainy season is coming to an end. Nothing like Ayathuya. I can't see anyone putting up sandbags here today!

I think you are living in some other world/ planet/ town

Edited by msg362

Wouldn't it just be easier to build dykes than move the capital to Chiang Mai?

Move the capital of Thailand from BKK to CM where there was "some" flooding but very "limited" and life went on. All I can say is, you two must have found some great smoke up there. Take it easy on it would you, before you come up with more brilliant solutions and denials. cheesy.gif

Edited by hedonist44

Wouldn't it just be easier to build dykes than move the capital to Chiang Mai?

Move the capital of Thailand from BKK to CM where there was "some" flooding but very "limited" and life went on. All I can say is, you two must have found some great smoke up there. Take it easy on it would you, before you come up with more brilliant solutions and denials. cheesy.gif

Munich to Berlin?

As for the smoke; there's a lot of it going around with mirrors. Ain't you noticed?

Don't ya luv "know it all new posters".

Seems to be a lot of them recently.

Wonder why?

In response, it ain't that hard. Look at any fluid, war zone, or previous govs. in exile. Just in case you don't know.

pcge or pgce?

Because we've been checking the website every few hours over the past month looking for updates on flood status and after reading too many silly comments we have decided to join the forum and try to add some knowledge.

a clever ruse

Don't ya luv "know it all new posters".

Seems to be a lot of them recently.

Wonder why?

In response, it ain't that hard. Look at any fluid, war zone, or previous govs. in exile. Just in case you don't know.

pcge or pgce?

Because we've been checking the website every few hours over the past month looking for updates on flood status and after reading too many silly comments we have decided to join the forum and try to add some knowledge.

Could you pease add some then? And what's with the "we"?

Soi Sauce - What are you smoking?

A few days ago you said flooding Bangkok was part of a PTP plot to make money through the reconstruction of flood damaged Bkk, using their building firm construction contacts.

Now your saying the Governnemt will flood Bkk in order to justify the reclocation of the capital to CM.

Love your imagination and your alternative view - keep em coming!!

Do you live in CM?

Yes some flooding a few weeks ago but very limited and life went on. Today dry, the ping river is high but not flooding and the rainy season is coming to an end. Nothing like Ayathuya. I can't see anyone putting up sandbags here today!

Yes I live in CM. There were people who could only get to their houses in boats.

Take a drive along the river, by the Riverside Restaurant and look at the 1 meter high concrete barriers they have put on the side of the road.

Feel free to wake up and smell the coffee.

Edited by mesquite

With statements like that you probably live somewhere in Chiang Mai province but not Muang and certainly not within one kilometer of the river, otherwise, you would recognize the recent floods as being some of the worst the city has ever seen.

Chiang Mai is full, sorry, try Pattaya.

Finally we have a gentleman with a sense of reality and a great idea. Pattaya would be a great place and I second the motion....biggrin.gif

And Pattaya have no problems with flooding! :whistling:

Do you live in CM?

Quite right !

The nights are getting cooler which signals the beginning of the dry season

With statements like that you probably live somewhere in Chiang Mai province but not Muang and certainly not within one kilometer of the river, otherwise, you would recognize the recent floods as being some of the worst the city has ever seen.

Agree that assessment of the flooding in Chiang Mai three weeks ago is exaggerated and it was nothing at all like what's been plaguing Nakhon Sawan, Ayuthaya and now the perimeter of Bangkok. I've lived in central Chiang Mai for 8 years and although it was catastrophic for hundreds of people along the Ping especially in Chang Klan district and downstream, it was very localised, was gone within days and had very little effect on most people. If you remember the 2005 floods they were a lot worse overall, lasting many days and much more widespread. The last couple weeks it's been mostly sunny and zero flooding in the far north, and yet people keep claiming that "Chiang Mai is on flood alert" or some such nonsense. Nawp, it's mostly dry and sunny.

Edited by Captain_Bob