Thai PM Tells Bangkok To Move Belongings To Safety

webfact

Thai PM tells Bangkok to move belongings to safety

by Boonradom Chitradon

BANGKOK, October 21, 2011 (AFP) - Millions of jittery Bangkok residents were warned Friday to move their belongings higher up after the government admitted it was failing in its battle to hold back huge floods just north of the city.

In a new tactic, the government has said it will open Bangkok's sluice gates to allow the sea of floodwater to drain through canals in the capital, which has an extensive system of waterways and drainage pumps.

The move should ease pressure on vulnerable flood barriers on the northern edge of the city of 12 million people, but increases the threat to Bangkok itself, which has so far escaped major inundation.

Residents were advised to move their possessions to higher floors or areas as the capital braced for the arrival of the floods from the central plains, which are several metres under water in places.

"I ask all Bangkok residents to move your belongings to higher ground as a precaution, but they should not panic. It's preparation," Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told reporters.

"We will rapidly assess the situation and regularly inform the public."

On Thursday Yingluck warned the government "cannot block the water forever".

Three months of heavy monsoon rains have killed more than 300 people, damaged the homes and livelihoods of millions of Thais, mostly in the north and centre, and forced tens of thousands to seek refuge in shelters.

In the capital there has been a rush to stock up on food and bottled water, while motorists have parked hundreds of cars on bridges or elevated roads.

Yingluck said the authorities would organise additional evacuation centres, make more parking spaces available and assign security officials to oversee significant locations such as the palace and Bangkok's main airport.

The opposition is calling on the government to declare a state of emergency to make it easier to control people and prevent them damaging dykes to ease the flooding in their own areas.

Tens of thousands of soldiers and police have already been mobilised to maintain order and maintain the flood barriers.

"I will consider declaring a state of emergency although we don't want this kind of situation as investors' confidence has already been shaken and so far the government received good cooperation from the military," Yingluck said.

"I'm not sure that if we impose state of emergency it will help to improve the situation," she added.

Yingluck, the sister of fugitive former leader Thaksin Shinawatra, is facing the biggest test so far of her two-month-old leadership and in recent days has appeared to be showing signs of strain.

The authorities have failed to protect a number of major industrial parks from the gushing brown water, which has inundated hundreds of factories outside Bangkok, disrupting production of cars, electronics and other goods.

The government says more than half a million people have seen their jobs disappear for now.

In Nonthaburi Province, only a few kilometres (miles) north of Bangkok, people have been wading through water with bags, boxes and suitcases as they abandoned their waterlogged homes.

Most of Thailand's main tourist attractions -- including the southern islands of Samui, Phuket and Phi Phi -- have been unaffected although some foreign governments have warned against non-essential travel to the country.

Bangkok's main airport, built on a drained marsh, is still operating as normal and its flood defences have been reinforced.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-21

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Announcement of Warning on Flooding Situation in Bangkok (21/10/2011)

With reference to the incident of the flooding situation in the Prathumthani Province and the Nonthaburi Province, it is apparent that huge amount of volume of water has passed Khlong Rangsit and flowed into Khlong Prapa entering the areas of the Don Mueang District and the Lak Si District of Bangkok.

Since the continuous flow of this volume of water reveals a trend of increasing and, consequently, affect people residing along the Khlong Prapa, in particular,

1. the sub-districts of Thung Si Khan and Don Mueang of the Don Mueang District

2. the sub-district of Thung Song Hong of Lak Si District.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), therefore, informs this incident of the flooding situation and instructs the concerning residents to monitor the development of the incident, the measures to be implemented by the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority to remedy the shortcomings, and the mitigating measures of BMA as well as those of other relating agencies.

BMA also requests the concerning residents not to be panic and instruct them to relocating valuable belongings and electrical outlets to a higher level. BMA will report, instruct as well as issue a warning to those residents at an appropriate interval range of time so they would be informed of the measures to be taken accordingly.

BMA would like the general public as well as those concerning residents to be assured that the administration will perform the tasks of protecting and rectifying the shortcomings to the utmost of the accountability.

Moreover, BMA has instructed all the units to urgently implement all measures to rectify the incident and to mitigate the damages and also has designated areas for temporary shelters of those affected. The plans for the evacuation and the mitigation have already been devised upon which the public could inquire additional information at www.bangkok.go.th or at the district offices or at the Center of the Protection and Flood Relief Operation of BMA, tel no. 1555.

BMA has also informed the Government Flood Relief Operation Center of the incident and suggested that urgent measures must be implemented.

M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra

Governor of Bangkok

Dated October 20, 2011

Source: http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_around_thailand.php?id=5930

-- thailand.prd.go.th 2011-10-21

-------

FLOODING SITUATION IN BANGKOK: UPDATE (21/10/2011)

M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, the Governor of Bangkok issued the 2nd Announcement of Warning on Flooding Situation in Bangkok to those residents of the sub-districts of Thung Si Khan and Don Mueang of Don Mueang District and the sub-district of Thung Song Hong of Lak Si District designated as the areas to be maintained with vigilance.

They were instructed to follow the development of the incident very closely since the areas are being affected and inundated caused by the leakages along the retention wall of the Khlong Prapa. They were also instructed to relocate their valuable belongings and electrical outlets to a higher level. BMA had already prepared temporary accommodation for those affected. The evacuation plan could be consulted at www.bangkok.go.th or at telephone no. 1555.

BMA had designated six schools of Don Mueang District as the areas of providing temporary accommodation, namely, Wat Don Mueang School, Pracha U-Thit School, Wat Weruwararam School, Bamrungrawiwan Withaya School, Phahol Yothin School and Prem Pracha School, all of which can provide accommodation of 2,700 people; whereas Lak Si District is comprising of Karn Kheha Tha Sai School, Kheha Thung Song Hong Withaya School, Kheha Thung Song Hong 2 School, Thung Song Hong School, Bang Khen (Wai Salee Anusorn School and Wat Lak Si School, all of which can provide accommodation of 3,050 people.

Source: http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_around_thailand.php?id=5931

-- thailand.prd.go.th 2011-10-21

Bangkok is a big city. Which areas could suffer from worst case scenario. CBD for example. She as usual is telling us nothing

Also I find no relevant guiding instruction for residents on how to prepare for the worst.I see people block enterances with sandbags, but does it really help, when water can actually flow from toilets? Is there any source fire information on that?

Bangkok is a big city. Which areas could suffer from worst case scenario. CBD for example. She as usual is telling us nothing

Its not what she is saying but what she is not saying that is the biggest concern.

The move should ease pressure on vulnerable flood barriers on the northern edge of the city of 12 million people, but increases the threat to Bangkok itself, which has so far escaped major inundation.

Residents were advised to move their possessions to higher floors or areas as the capital braced for the arrival of the floods from the central plains, which are several metres under water in places.

"I ask all Bangkok residents to move your belongings to higher ground as a precaution, but they should not panic. It's preparation," Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told reporters."

from hundreds of news media we know water is coming, supermarket food and drinking water all gone, how can a capital city with 12 million people NOT PANIC ?

other than moving our possessions to higher floors ( for whose have it ), WHAT ELSE we should prepare ? ? ? this is a very emotional act, but where is the intangible support for those not in the water yet ?

examples :

- in Japan, government suggests survival kit packing list and all families prepared at door

- in China, in even more big floods, time of water arrival and volume ( depth ) of water are well informed. ( yet, they can't do anything else )

Evidently, as many comments underline it, important information is not given.

If we have to prepare for One meter to one meter and a half water surge from which "ground" to we have to count this height ? from the klong ? From the road ? from the sea level ? It makes huge differences for me as I am situated one meter more above the klong level but one meter under the road level...

There are a lot of different ground levels in one 'khet' a map of the really "at risk" places could have been done by authorities (even though, I know, they are busy elsewhere... but they could mobilize students in geography, or whoever, to do so...).

Besides these considerations, I am surprised (well, not that much in fact) that Thailand does not have a proper water management system : Monsoon has been going on here for quite a while. Deforestation and urbanization worsened the problem... And nothing serious seemed to have been done by any government might it be democrat or Thaksinian.

I worry much about the crisis aftermath : economic recovery will be extremely hard, will need a lot of money coming form abroad (which, by the way could lessen a bit the pressure on Europe) with certain impact on the baht. There might also be forced unemployment (if japanese industries decide not to take anymore risks for the years to come and relocate elsewhere in Asia for example) and social unrest.

By the way, the political promises made during the campaign will be forgotten : 300 hundred baht a day ? Forget it ! Bad for recovery ! I-pads for students ? Forget it ! Bad for national reconstruction !

And who will be responsible ? Rain ? Water management officials ? Prime Minister ? Dharma ? Spirits ? Each and every Thai ?

Will there be any "sustainable and responsible" water management policy ? Will Bangkok's urban development plans be reviewed ? (Condos of over 50 floors weight a lot... nothing is done to enhance a sensible way of managing the problem).

Well, all in all, it is Thai people's (and not only thai elite) problem and I am quite happy to be out of such political mess. May they make a good choice, they'll be the only responsible for it anyway.

I also hope there will not be any violence towards foreigners living in Thailand... (which could be understandable given the situation and the ideology... but not forgivable).

PM shuns emergency decree imposition for fear that it will hurt foreign confidence; urges all parties to unit, fight against floods /MCOT

foreign confidence already submegred in meters of Thai water. what is the NEXT priority ?

I have a little bit of trouble following the logic here. Factory destruction will NOT hurt investor confidence (???) but an emergency decree that might enable the situation to be better handled WILL (???)

Maybe I am reading things wrongly?

PM shuns emergency decree imposition for fear that it will hurt foreign confidence; urges all parties to unit, fight against floods /MCOT

foreign confidence already submegred in meters of Thai water. what is the NEXT priority ?

Hurt foreign confidence? Of course we must first think about what "foreigners" might think before we take any action to protect our citizens who are dying and losing everything. Is this woman for real? Unbelievable she would make this statement pubicly.

Totally agree on all that you said. We are not frustrated about the coming flood. We are frustrated that the truth/the correct information is not given. And that same mistakes are made over and over(about trying to block the water) instead of finding ways to divert flood quickly to the sea.

If we have to prepare for One meter to one meter and a half water surge from which "ground" to we have to count this height ? from the klong ? From the road ? from the sea level ? It makes huge differences for me as I am situated one meter more above the klong level but one meter under the road level...

There are a lot of different ground levels in one 'khet' a map of the really "at risk" places could have been done by authorities (even though, I know, they are busy elsewhere... but they could mobilize students in geography, or whoever, to do so...).

Besides these considerations, I am surprised (well, not that much in fact) that Thailand does not have a proper water management system : Monsoon has been going on here for quite a while. Deforestation and urbanization worsened the problem... And nothing serious seemed to have been done by any government might it be democrat or Thaksinian.

I worry much about the crisis aftermath : economic recovery will be extremely hard, will need a lot of money coming form abroad (which, by the way could lessen a bit the pressure on Europe) with certain impact on the baht. There might also be forced unemployment (if japanese industries decide not to take anymore risks for the years to come and relocate elsewhere in Asia for example) and social unrest.

By the way, the political promises made during the campaign will be forgotten : 300 hundred baht a day ? Forget it ! Bad for recovery ! I-pads for students ? Forget it ! Bad for national reconstruction !

And who will be responsible ? Rain ? Water management officials ? Prime Minister ? Dharma ? Spirits ? Each and every Thai ?

Will there be any "sustainable and responsible" water management policy ? Will Bangkok's urban development plans be reviewed ? (Condos of over 50 floors weight a lot... nothing is done to enhance a sensible way of managing the problem).

Well, all in all, it is Thai people's (and not only thai elite) problem and I am quite happy to be out of such political mess. May they make a good choice, they'll be the only responsible for it anyway.

I also hope there will not be any violence towards foreigners living in Thailand... (which could be understandable given the situation and the ideology... but not forgivable).

As a poster above stated we who live outside Bangkok feel for you,especially those living to the north as we have already lived thruogh the worst of it.Good luck to all, try to stay out of the water some kids in our area have been taken seriously ill after swimming in the flood waters, one has died after only two days.

"We will rapidly assess the situation and regularly inform the public."

Can't believe my own eyes any more................jap.gif

I dont understand why there should be any violence towards foreigners living in Thailand due to the flood situation - or am I missing something here? Perhaps someone could explain.

I dont understand why there should be any violence towards foreigners living in Thailand due to the flood situation - or am I missing something here? Perhaps someone could explain.

Tense situation of the flooding + the idea that most people have that foreigners are rich = idea that foreigners are not as "hurt" by the flooding as Thais are

+ the idea that foreigners can leave whenever they want + idea that foreigners are only here to "exploit" Thailand etc...

= potential violences...

I am not talking of a massive trend but only local violences... and it is only a conjecture.

Tense situation of the flooding + the idea that most people have that foreigners are rich = idea that foreigners are not as "hurt" by the flooding as Thais are

+ the idea that foreigners can leave whenever they want + idea that foreigners are only here to "exploit" Thailand etc...

= potential violences...

I am not talking of a massive trend but only local violences... and it is only a conjecture.

Here no problems but lived here for 6 years. I share the same missery with the neighbours.

The flooding is not the problem, but knowing how much it will rise or how long it will stay. Information that is the problem. We are flooded we want it to go away.

When I was building houses in Oz there were maps that showed exactly - to the nearest few centimetres which areas would be submerged according to the rise in water level. I presume that Bkk has similar information - so why is there no such map available on the net?

Hurt foreign confidence? Of course we must first think about what "foreigners" might think before we take any action to protect our citizens who are dying and losing everything. Is this woman for real? Unbelievable she would make this statement pubicly.

Then she can blame the ' foreigner' for making her delay the emergency decree. It's all a blame game..... ie who THEY can blame except themselves.

When I was building houses in Oz there were maps that showed exactly - to the nearest few centimetres which areas would be submerged according to the rise in water level. I presume that Bkk has similar information - so why is there no such map available on the net?

Ohhhh cowslip...so naive :D

so why is there no such map available on the net?

Here are a few flood maps:

http://flood.longdo.com/en

http://ictgis.totidc.net/viewer/

crisislanding.appspot.com thailand_floods

Here'a a map of where it's currently raining: http://www.thairainmap.com

Does anyonw know of any altitude (or "elevation") above sea level maps?