Thai Farang Fight For Parking Space

upinthesky

Fight? What fight?

Mis-labeled thread.

I would say mis-leading for sure, however when you get into a fight with your girlfriend, are you throwing fists or just arguing?

Anyway, I knew it wouldn't be of an actual fight, or else it would have read "Thais (pural) fight farang for parking space." No such thing as a one on one fight with a Thai, which is probably why the Thai guy was yelling "This is Thailand"... to illicit help from onlookers, which he got. The farang is lucky he appears to be around reletively civilized Thais, probably in Bangkok. If this were in Patong this guy would have been beaten within an inch of his life by the tuk tuk mafia just for speaking up against a Thai.

Not sure who to root for here. I hate arrogant, self-righteous pricks with an inflated sense of entitlement driving BMW's,but on the other hand, at least by western standards, Thais line jump, have no sense of personal space and appear to be oblivious to each other or show any respect to one another when they are behind the wheel of a car, motorbike, pushing a shopping cart, etc. Once while walking through the parking lot of Big C I had this asshol_e in a Corolla come from behind and cut across my path causing me to stop quickly or get hit. He very nearly drove over my toes. And he honked at me! In the west this would have led to an argument or fight without a doubt. I have been here long enough and understand these things happen, yet I was still fuming. I eyeballed him but he didn't even look at me. It's normal for them.

Thailand is hierarchical in almost every aspect. Motorbikes are above pedestrians, cars and pick-up trucks above motorbikes, dump trucks, cement mixers and buses above cars. I recently got a good reminder of this when I challenged a cemet mixer for right of way. I had 100% legal right-of-way, but he had 100% Thai right-of-way. That is the general rule when it comes to right-of-way on Thai roads. These two clearly thought they were above the other. Mr. BMW because he has a BMW, and the Thai because he is Thai. We as farangs have to be aware that things operate in a very different way than we are used to. This usually means sucking it up and swallowing our pride. Do what the Thais do and let it go. (I only wish I could do that all the time)

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Looks to me like the BMW simply wanted to park his car. So the Opel needed to move forward slightly.. It looks like the guy in the yellow shirt decided that it was Thai only parking. Hence the this is Thailand for Thai's bullshit.

Looks to me like the BMW simply wanted to park his car. So the Opel needed to move forward slightly.. It looks like the guy in the yellow shirt decided that it was Thai only parking. Hence the this is Thailand for Thai's bullshit.

the yellow shirt says he reserved that parking spot and the farang took it. The guy who films this says that the yellow shirt is giving Thai a bad reputation yelling like that. Another one says, she never heard about reserving a parking spot and there is no need for yelling.

Wrong title thread.

The Youtube title "Are you Thai ?". Video clearly shows the yellow being unreasonable.

Change the title to Yellow Shirt yell at Farang and you see the hits on this thread :lol:

Edited by ShopBoy

self-righteous pricks with an inflated sense of entitlement driving BMW's

At least from the farang's body language he doesn't look like he is being a self-righteous prick, and he looks like he wants to have calm and civil discussion.

Mr. BMW because he has a BMW

Of course, he has a BMW - isn't that superior to anyone who doesn't? :rolleyes:

According to the comments there, apparently it was filmed at the Central Shopping Mall in Phitsanuloke on the store's opening day. The Thai guy and his gf had 'reserved' the space and were standing there waiting for their car (or a car) to park there. The farang wanted to park his car there, and the argument ensued.

Lots of Thai comments on the farang's side.

Maybe the Thai guy was waiting there to cut the ribbon or something lol