Has Anybody Fished Sirinton Water?

biggie371

Hi I'm new to fishing in Thailand, and wondered if anybody has fished this lake?

If so, what fish I can expect to catch? and whats the best rigs for certain fish. I've caught small fish with a spinner from the shore, but would like to go out in a boat and try that, and hopefully catch something bigger.

The local market sells tilapia that apparently come from this lake, how do I catch them? they're lovely on the bbq.

Cheers in advance.

Yes I have fished there a number of times. In fact I posted a report on it a long time ago but can't find my report now. I did all my fishing across the water from the Chongmek side of the dam. I have mostly caught jungle perch, snakehead, giant snakehead all with lures or one type or another. Haven't been back for three years now. Hopefully next year I will get back up there as I always enjoyed myself out on the dam.

Yes I have fished there a number of times. In fact I posted a report on it a long time ago but can't find my report now. I did all my fishing across the water from the Chongmek side of the dam. I have mostly caught jungle perch, snakehead, giant snakehead all with lures or one type or another. Haven't been back for three years now. Hopefully next year I will get back up there as I always enjoyed myself out on the dam.

gary do you need a permit of anykind to fish there,

was at the thai side earlier this year and saw a lot of fish not far from the restaurant but didn;t have any rods with me but will go back early next year and would like to fish there..

scotty (ubon)

No license required. You can make a day out of it. Take your family and drop them off at the raft restaurants in Little Pattaya (it used to be called this but it may have changed) on the way from Pibul to Chongmek, and then you continue on and select somewhere that takes your fancy. Many people just fish from the rafts though.

An alternative, and one that I have done several times in the past, is to hook up with a local who has a boat. Pay for his fuel, eats and libations and have him drop you off at one of the many islands when on his way to check his nets/traps. Take plenty of water with you. There are some great places for spinning which you can do either from the shore or wading up to chest deep. Make sure you pick someone trustworthy as you need them to come back and pick you up on their way back. :D Alternatively, have them stay on the island with you but in addition to fuel you will need to pay for their time. Caught my largest ever jungle perch from one of those islands, wading and spinning. I ended up going all the way round the island that day. Felt great but I was out like a light that night and slept solid for 12 hours.

Another idea is just to fish from a boat. Fishing near the large fish traps for giant snakehead or any of the many quiet inlets into the dam is great. The snakeheads hunt near the traps and inlets.

I used to head out from the other side of the dam from the Chongmek, but cross the dam at the south end and fish on on the Chomgmek side as there are many very promising places on that side. I did my fishing out of Non Kalong.

Writing this makes me wish I was back there. Haven't been for 3 years now and I have an itch that needs to be scratched. Hopefully, next year around this time I will be able to get out there.

NB: This dam is very different to Srinakarin. There are few rocky areas, the shoreline mainly comprises rice fields and gently sloping land, nowhere near as steep as Srinakarin.

Hi Garry, sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for your advice and information. I am looking forward to spending lots of time on the lake, hopefully catch more than the one jungle perch I've caught so far. That was spinning. I'm thinking of getting a little aluminium hulled boat at some point, so I'll have more options that way.

Patttaya Noi is still the name of the rafts you spoke about. I've been there a few times for a few beers.

I've not been right down to the dam though, so i'll give that a go too.

Thanks again

Hi Garry, sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for your advice and information. I am looking forward to spending lots of time on the lake, hopefully catch more than the one jungle perch I've caught so far. That was spinning. I'm thinking of getting a little aluminium hulled boat at some point, so I'll have more options that way.

Patttaya Noi is still the name of the rafts you spoke about. I've been there a few times for a few beers.

Thanks again

Ever thought about kayak fishing on the dam. A sit on top kayak would be great for shore hugging and stealth fishing. You could use something like a Hobie Cat or a locally manufactured Moken (FeelFree). Alternatively, make your own stitch and glue SOT kayak (let me know if you can find a supplier of marine ply ;) ). One of my dreams is to disappear for a week fishing around the dam (lake) on my own kayak. I need to build the kayak first though (another dream) :D

gary have you ever tried fishing pak mun dam, went up there in march to have a look got to tha dam itself and it did look as though it had possibilities but there didnt seem to be a way down to the water along the sides and security was not happy with people on the dam itself,

there must be small roads down to the water along the resevoir somewhere though.

never saw any boats out on the water but it might of just been the time of day

tight lines scotty

No I haven't fished the Moon river (couldn't resist) in the vicinity of the Pak Mun Dam. I've fished down stream a little waay from Kaeng Sapur (sp?) and seen plenty of people using throw nets in that area. However, most of my fishing in the river is done much closer to Ubol city, such as at Haad Kudua, Haad Wat Tai, near Wat Subat and across the river from the city. Also did quite a bit of fishing in some of the large ponds between Ubol and Warin.

I had heard that with the introduction of the Pak Mun Dam, fish populations of many species were decimated due to the dam blocking access to spawning grounds. Many locals who supported themselves through fishing, had to turn to other revenue sources. Whether it ever picked up or not I do not know.

In fact in Ubol you are spoiled as there are so many places to fish. Just between Phibul and Ubol city there are a number or small rivers, large streams, resevoirs, ponds, etc. that can be fished without worry of being sent packing for trespassing. Common sense will tell you which is on private land and which is open to public access.

You are just coming into the cool season so as long as it is not too cold yet, you should have a few more weeks good fishing left. Once it gets quite chilly the fish become quite torpid and the action tails off.

thanks for the reply gary,as to no fish in the mun we have a small river behind our house which the missus says is connected to it,

and when the mun starts to flood there are a couple hundred guys with throw nets all along its banks, catching lots of fish for a couple weeks then the fishing dries up,

that was why i wondered about the pak mun dam area,

but as i said never saw boats like on sirinton..

tight lines scotty

Thanks again

Ever thought about kayak fishing on the dam. A sit on top kayak would be great for shore hugging and stealth fishing. You could use something like a Hobie Cat or a locally manufactured Moken (FeelFree). Alternatively, make your own stitch and glue SOT kayak (let me know if you can find a supplier of marine ply ;) ). One of my dreams is to disappear for a week fishing around the dam (lake) on my own kayak. I need to build the kayak first though (another dream) :D

Hi Garry, Yes I did think about a sot. I still might get one at some point. I like the aluminium hulled boats with the sun shade. I don't think nows a good time to buy one though, as they'll be either out of stock, or 3 times the price.

I saw some thai guys in one of those boats made by the company that does the ice boxes, they're really popular round here, they just chuck them in the back of a truck when they're done.

So is the best spot to fish down by the dam? any particular reason if it is?

Cath you later

Thanks again

Hi Garry, Yes I did think about a sot. I still might get one at some point. I like the aluminium hulled boats with the sun shade. I don't think nows a good time to buy one though, as they'll be either out of stock, or 3 times the price.

I saw some thai guys in one of those boats made by the company that does the ice boxes, they're really popular round here, they just chuck them in the back of a truck when they're done.

So is the best spot to fish down by the dam? any particular reason if it is?

Cath you later

To be honest I don't know which is the best part of the lake, up near the dam or at the other end, just that I've done all my fishing at the other end, where there are lots of inlets and places where snake heads like to hand out.

Maybe once the floods recede here in BKK, you will be able to pick up a nice cheap second hand SOT. I don't expect everyone will hold on to the boats they bought for the floods. ;)