Thai Floods To Last Four To Six Weeks More: Govt

webfact

Let's see. A human being can last for three days with no water, and can last for three weeks with no food. So if this 4 to 6 weeks number is true, I sure as hell hope they have an intelligent plan to get water and food to all the stranded people.....

i doubt 1 meter of water is going to stop anyone getting to 7/11

Especially when my maids get hungry. :)

Seriously, last night TAN Network issued a report from the Thai police department that, along with the normal areas we have heard of in North Bangkok, parts of Sathorn and Yannawa were likely to see 1-2 meters of water. Also, many areas of Thonburi which, apparently, doesn't have the same drainage capabilities as this side of the river has.

Check it out as the addresses they have for flood risk areas of inner Bangkok are reasonably explicit.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the naysayers, lazy barstewards, and barstool generals, have a very close look at the pics in the following link and HONESTLY tell me anyone could have stopped the amount of this floodwater seen FROM SPACE(!!!!) could actually be stopped! If you have an answer I WILL HIRE YOU AS YOUR AGENT AND JOB YOU OUT TO THIS GOVERNMENT (high dayrate btw....). We will be called gods, superpeople, or whatever... Just have a look at the satellite pics>>>>>

http://earthobservat...ew.php?id=76110

Can you interpret this map for us. It is hard to know what is what, e.g. what is the black stuff and where does the sea start? Is there a more up-to-date map than the latest here of 11 Oct?

Hope you're not takin' the p _ ss.... I'll bite anyhow.... The black / dk. Blue stuff is WATER in one sat pic there is not very much (as in normal water levels). In the top map there's a lot more black stuff. This means more water. As in a lot more water. Open your Google earth or Yahoo maps and compare the writing on these maps to your google maps. Put 2 screens next to each other or split your screen fpr comparison pictures. This will give you a better understanding of what you are looking at.

To all the naysayers, lazy barstewards, and barstool generals, have a very close look at the pics in the following link and HONESTLY tell me anyone could have stopped the amount of this floodwater seen FROM SPACE(!!!!) could actually be stopped! If you have an answer I WILL HIRE YOU AS YOUR AGENT AND JOB YOU OUT TO THIS GOVERNMENT (high dayrate btw....). We will be called gods, superpeople, or whatever... Just have a look at the satellite pics>>>>>

No one is saying that any one could stop this amount of water.

Turn your microscopic vision on what they could have done to lessen the damage but chose and continue to choose not to do because it might hurt foreign investment.

"The government will oversee the distribution of all consumer goods and ensure that they are sufficient and available for everyone."

How do they plan on doing that when all ready people have died and it will take them a while to form a committee to figure out how to do it. In the mean time people die and a huge work force that is easily mobilized is allowed to only do so much work for fear of scaring of foreign investors.

Let's see. A human being can last for three days with no water, and can last for three weeks with no food. So if this 4 to 6 weeks number is true, I sure as hell hope they have an intelligent plan to get water and food to all the stranded people.....

Well with a very little food and some vitamins people can last very very long (but get sick easily and in 2 weeks water you'll have 1 Zillion Mosquitos).

But water is super critical specially without aircon and heat. Don't know what is the absolute minimum people can live with for some time? 0.5 liter? 1 Liter? per day?

This tragedy is the spiteful lack of communication, and lack of reality. Just think of the urine and feces in that flood water where people are urinating and defecating right where they eat and are standing. the contamination, disease and bacteria along with coming insects and mosquitoes is unimaginable. Astonishing lack of management and communication on the part of the government. And still there are people promoting "business is good" "travel and tourism is unaffected". Shame on them. Where are all the aristocrats and high class elite voices? Probably off in their private and chartered jets to off shore bank accounts and homes in London and Hong Kong and the USA. What a disgrace Thailand management is. The company CEOs did not know? They weren't informed by the government? They made no preparations to close and secure plants in Thailand and relocate workers? What about the food suplies and water and sewage and garbage? How about all those dead animals drowned or starved just decomposing in that contaminated flood water? When I lived in Thailand in a fairly well managed building on a higher floor , we lost power and Internet regularly when there was a big thunderstorm or heavy rainfall. Can you imagine four to six weeks and they are just announcing it now? I am powerless to do anything to help and even if I was there and could help - they would refuse it. They know everything. They need no one. New ideas are irrelevant. They are Thai. I wish them well and feel terrible for the people who had no leadership , no solutions, and none of their own private leaders who "knew nothing".

Plodprasop: BKK Will See 50cm-1m Flooding in All Districts for 1 Month

Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Surasawadee said Bangkok residents should brace for 50 centimeters-1 meter of flooding in all districts for 1 month. He said electricity and tapwater will still be available while the authorities will provide food and any help needed.

He blamed the impending flooding to inefficient water drainage particularly the closure of floodgates to drain water out into the eastern part of Bangkok.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-22

footer_n.gif

Here he goes again!

This is just plain nonsense; 'all districts' in Bangkok vary in elevation by more then 1m.

Is the man incapable of putting his brain in gear before opening his mouth?

'the authorities will provide food'... really?

The idea of a central spokesperson didn't last very long, reflecting the mishandling of both the flooding and communications by the government.

Bangkok seems to be the new hub of stupidity.

:cheesy: ...this is not laughter, it's despair.

He said electricity and tapwater will still be available while the authorities will provide food and any help needed.

This guy clearly has no clue what he's about to be up against.

Be very careful about back-flushed sewage and stray electric currents in the water people.

Well with a very little food and some vitamins people can last very very long (but get sick easily and in 2 weeks water you'll have 1 Zillion Mosquitos).

But water is super critical specially without aircon and heat. Don't know what is the absolute minimum people can live with for some time? 0.5 liter? 1 Liter? per day?

I once went four days with out a drop of any thing to drink or eat. There was no damage to my body.

Mind you it was in a much ccooler climate for that than Thailand with the heat and humidity. The key would be to try and stay as idle as you can and out of the direct sunlight.

"The government will oversee the distribution of all consumer goods and ensure that they are sufficient and available for everyone."

With the government doing that be prepared to wait a week or two.

wow . . . 4 to 6 weeks :-( this is just flooding :-(

I'm not good in history, but the history tells after natural disaster as such, next is disease, next is food crisis, next is economic breakdown, next is political unstability . . .

that is not 4 to 6 weeks ! something she didn't tell again :-(

Turn your microscopic vision on what they could have done to lessen the damage but chose and continue to choose not to do because it might hurt foreign investment.

How do they plan on doing that when all ready people have died and it will take them a while to form a committee to figure out how to do it. In the mean time people die and a huge work force that is easily mobilized is allowed to only do so much work for fear of scaring of foreign investors.

Dolly,

Look who's calling the kettle black..... here for another "type" of my views on the whole disaster....

Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Surasawadee said Bangkok residents should brace for 50 centimeters-1 meter of flooding in all districts for 1 month. He said electricity and tapwater will still be available while the authorities will provide food and any help needed.

He blamed the impending flooding to inefficient water drainage particularly the closure of floodgates to drain water out into the eastern part of Bangkok.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

I'd love to know how credible this statement is. Thinking of moving my work out of Bangkok for a while.

Water was starting to trickle out if the drains at the entrance to Sukhumvit 23 when I passed a couple of hours ago. Black, stinky stuff.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

Here he goes again!

This is just plain nonsense; 'all districts' in Bangkok vary in elevation by more then 1m.

The idea of a central spokesperson didn't last very long, reflecting the mishandling of both the flooding and communications by the government.

You are, of course, correct that districts (and areas within districts) vary in elevation. As I posted above, TAN Network issued a report by the Thai Police Dept. last night that explains where the ares are in inner Bangkok that are lower in elevation (i.e. higher risk areas).

Accordingly, as reported by TAN News:

Flood-risk districts in inner Bangkok;

1) Sathon (Chantr Road, St. Louise Rd., Satupradit Rd.)

2) Phaya Thai: Paholyothin Rd (Sam Sen Canal - Bang Sue Canal)

3) Phra Khanong: Sukhumvit Rd. (Phra Khanong Canal - Soi Lasal)

4) Wattana: Sukhumvit 39-49

5) Wang Thonglang: Lad Prao Rd. - The Mall

6) Bung Kum: Nawamint Rd. (Don E-ka Canal - Prasert Manunkit Intersection)

7) Din Daeng: Ratchadapisek Rd - Front of Robinson Department Store

8) Jatujak: Ratchadapisek - Lad Prao Intersection

9) Ratchathewi: Petchburi Rd - Ban That Thong - Ratchathewi Intersection

10) Ratchathewi: Nikom Makkasan Road

11) Ratchathewi: Rama 6 Rd. (in front of Pra Jae Jeen Market)

12) Bang Kae: Petchakasem Soi 63

13) Yannawa: Yen Arkat Rd (from Nang Linchee Rd. - Soi Sri Bampen 1)

14) Prawes: Sri Nakarin Rd. (Ta Sat Canal - Ta Chang Canal)

15) Phra Nakorn: Sanam Chai Rd., Maha Raj Rd.,

16) Don Muang: Tung Song Hong, Thung Si Kan, Don Muang

I think the government will do it's best to see consumer goods are available. Agree there is no way to stop this amount of water. But what could have been done is call in experts from foreign countries who have the expertise to deal with a flood of this magnitude in the planning stages. This was not done for fear of losing face with foreign investors. We now see the results of unqualified people trying to handle a situation.

:-) Was referring more to the people up north , that have been sitting in water for weeks now. According to the Thai tv news, there are a lot of people who are afraid to leave their flooded homes due to fear of theft of their remaining possessions.......

The 7-11 stores appear to be resupplied on a virtually daily basis. If there is a lot of water coming into Bangkok , with no means of resupply, the stores will be emptied in short order.

5 to 10 million bangkok residents in a city cut off from normal supplies of food and water for six weeks. Even a competent government couldn't be expected to handle that kind of emergency. There will be no place to evacuate a fraction of that number to. It seems that they keep relocating victims to the next likely place to flood so that they can have the opportunity to rescue them twice.

Actually if this is happening, they need to get the people out now, or last week. Move as many as possible to other cities, down the south, if you take free hotel rooms schools and military barracks you can get a lot people under a roof. If you ask Myanmar and Malaysia (Cambodia is itself effected) maybe China you could move millions of people. Transport is no problem, train, truck, all Thai-Airlines dedicated to it.

So as it isn't happening, either it does not get that bad or we are looking to the biggest disaster in Thailand since I can remember.

And yet Plodprasob states in the post preceding yours, that it was caused by the BMA closing the floodgates. Surely you aren't accusing the minister of telling porkies so as to play the blame game.

I should have guessed that you were CM.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

I'd love to know how credible this statement is. Thinking of moving my work out of Bangkok for a while.

Water was starting to trickle out if the drains at the entrance to Sukhumvit 23 when I passed a couple of hours ago. Black, stinky stuff.Pl

Can you imagine the contamination level of that "tap water" ? How about the food in waist deep flood water? And also "waste" deep. How about all those roaming dogs in Thailand - are they drowned, starved , and just decomposing in the flood water on the streets? What "tap water" and "food" will Plodprasop provide? What has he planned for? This whole mismanagement for months is an outrage.

Flood water can be purified and drunk using some sort of filter and plastic water bottles for solar purification. see link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection

You are missing the point. There IS no magic solution that the Thai government could come up with, nor the ThaiVisa brain trust. The failure of the government was not to tell the people a lot sooner that an unstoppable wall of water was headed south. Instead the government is issuing an endless stream of moronic statements that everything will be fine, lulling people into a false sense of security. If you watch the Thai news, you will see people wading through the water with a few possessions on their back, telling the interviewer in amazement how they did not understand how quickly the water came up. This ongoing failure of communication is what the government will be defending itself over in the months to come.

EyesWideOpen: You are perfectly right. The PhueThai party has now also its case where so many innocent people died due to their moronic information about the upcoming flood waters. They knew perfectly well WHEN the big dams in the north have released their water!!! This is not a natural phenomenon or a disaster, but a well thought operation WHICH IS BADLY PLANNED and uncoordinated! Yingluck, where is your smart brother now? Is he going to help you this time?

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

Here he goes again!

You are 100% correct BpuuMike.

Besides this .... they should stop thinking about water and floods and whose land is flooded and start thinking about people.

It seems that FROC is patting themselves on the back for adding another 12 million people to the numbers of affected people.

They should be concentrating on moving more and more people OUT of the disaster zone ... instead of doubling the number overnight.

As most people realize, Bangkok will be flooded by this sooner or later. But for managing the disaster and effects on people, putting this off as long as possible (and use that time to prepare to minimize suffering) is the best solution.

This tragedy is the spiteful lack of communication, and lack of reality. Just think of the urine and feces in that flood water where people are urinating and defecating right where they eat and are standing. the contamination, disease and bacteria along with coming insects and mosquitoes is unimaginable. Astonishing lack of management and communication on the part of the government. And still there are people promoting "business is good" "travel and tourism is unaffected". Shame on them. Where are all the aristocrats and high class elite voices? Probably off in their private and chartered jets to off shore bank accounts and homes in London and Hong Kong and the USA. What a disgrace Thailand management is. The company CEOs did not know? They weren't informed by the government? They made no preparations to close and secure plants in Thailand and relocate workers? What about the food suplies and water and sewage and garbage? How about all those dead animals drowned or starved just decomposing in that contaminated flood water? When I lived in Thailand in a fairly well managed building on a higher floor , we lost power and Internet regularly when there was a big thunderstorm or heavy rainfall. Can you imagine four to six weeks and they are just announcing it now? I am powerless to do anything to help and even if I was there and could help - they would refuse it. They know everything. They need no one. New ideas are irrelevant. They are Thai. I wish them well and feel terrible for the people who had no leadership , no solutions, and none of their own private leaders who "knew nothing".

Mr Plod also said, "electricity and tapwater will still be available (in Bkk) while the authorities will provide food and any help needed." That's a bit difficult to believe, given the way people only just across the river in Bang Bua Thong have been left stranded with nothing.

The last part of his statement, "He blamed the impending flooding to inefficient water drainage particularly the closure of floodgates to drain water out into the eastern part of Bangkok" is utterly illogical and is merely an undisguised dig at the Democrat controlled BMA.

After his panic warning for Northern Bangkok, he fell silent for a bit. Now his prediction has been proved correct he has popped out of the woodwork again to take credit as a soothsayer for political gain, while continuing to make assurances that he has no intention of fulfilling.

Now would be a good time for Thais to tell all these corrupt baffoon politicians to go and burn in hell and start electing decent people who genuinely want to serve the country (and put them in prison if they prove corrupt) - not necessarily from any of the existing pools of politicians. Time has run out for the present system.

Edited by Arkady

And what would they buy at 7/11 when they get there. There's no water for sale there right now.

And yet Plodprasob states in the post preceding yours, that it was caused by the BMA closing the floodgates. Surely you aren't accusing the minister of telling porkies so as to play the blame game.

I should have guessed that you were CM.

No Oz, I can categorically deny that I just whipped up that NASA website. I do think the "black / blue stuff (I.E. water) on those maps doesn't have anything to do with the BMA playing with gates. Now the EGAT and Irrigation dept may be queried - heavily - about the dam water getting too high tho'......

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

Here he goes again!

You are 100% correct BpuuMike.

Besides this .... they should stop thinking about water and floods and whose land is flooded and start thinking about people.

It seems that FROC is patting themselves on the back for adding another 12 million people to the numbers of affected people.

They should be concentrating on moving more and more people OUT of the disaster zone ... instead of doubling the number overnight.

As most people realize, Bangkok will be flooded by this sooner or later. But for managing the disaster and effects on people, putting this off as long as possible (and use that time to prepare to minimize suffering) is the best solution.

Re FROC the move was signalled by Sudarat who is well known to be very close to you know who. They view Bangkok as indefensible and now only want to take credit for flooding it to please flooded red shirt voters who have been accusing them of "double standards" by protecting Bangkok at their expense. No doubt the amendments to the Defence Administratin Act, a political amnesty, a referendum on a new constitution and plans for a new election will come with indecent haste when the flood waters have not fully receded.

The Thai people had years to look in to a disaster such as this and get prepared for it but instead spent it taking bribes, infighting, having coups and burning down Bangkok.

This is nature's way of saying this is the last straw.

Karma is a pain and now we all have to suffer :(

Good luck everyone.

Ian

Well someone has to supply the 7/11 through a meter of water Steve......

Right now it probably can't be stopped.

If you started 10 years ago - it could have been avoided.

1. Define targets of the water management system

e.g. Ability to pass X million cubic meters of water per day to the sea through the bkk metropolitan area

or

Ability to handle X mm of rain during the rainy season without flooding of bkk metropolitan area

2. Define key infrastructure that has to kept dry at all cost

e.g. power plants, water treatment plants, hospitals, airports, major highways, key industrial estates, phone & internet infrastructure, government & police headquarters

3. Hire the best experts in the world (probably not Thai)

4. Implement their plans

5. Maintain the system and update plans as necessary

Can it be done? sure

Can it be done in Thailand? probably not

Will it be done? no

I think that this clearly defines the incompetence of successive Thai Governments and the fact that political games are more important than actually tackling a problem. It is almost certain that the current disaster will not change anything and the Thai people will forget about it until the next time.

What would the point be if it's closed? :blink:

The idea that the former government would have dealt with this unprecedented amount of water any better than the current government, in office just two months, is laughable. The only measures that could have been taken since they took office are stop-gap measures because the deficiencies have been years in the making. Sure they could have done a better job, but they aren't doing that bad in most areas. Most of the criticism I have seen in the Post and Nation come from the usual suspects with their barely hidden agenda of criticizing anything that is even tangentially related to that twice-elected Prime Minister overthrown in a completely illegal military coup--the kind that have now virtually disappeared in most parts of the world. You know who I am talking about, the one who is he source of all that is wrong in Thailand. Funny that the opposition had five years to fix Thailand's problems and hardly did anything. That is why they were overwhelmingly rejected during the last election despite a MSM pumping out anti-red shirt stories virtually non-stop.

Government spokeswoman Titima Chaisang told AFP the premier was referring to the overall flood situation in the country and not specifically in Bangkok.

Another spokeswoman ( spokesperson) .

Wow that one brain cell possessed by the government must be getting pretty travel sick by now

I gather that you are not exactly impressed by their overall response to the floods or passing on of useful information and advice on how to prepare and cope with the inflow of an unprecedented amount of water then!!!:jap:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE