Thai Floods To Last Four To Six Weeks More: Govt

webfact

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see. A human being can last for three days with no water, and can last for three weeks with no food. So if this 4 to 6 weeks number is true, I sure as hell hope they have an intelligent plan to get water and food to all the stranded people.....

i doubt 1 meter of water is going to stop anyone getting to 7/11

guess what ,

1 metre of water is enough to kill the electric supply of a community

nobody who owns a 7-11 is going to open it if the cash registers,cctv and fridges cannot work

even the doors are powered by electric

everybody who walked into a 7-11 with 1m of water would probably be electrocuted anyway

this could be an enormous problem if plodprasop is correct and every district is getting 1 metre of water

It's a positive sign to see that popular Bangkok tourist attractions will remain unaffected next week:

Thailand tours carry on as usual

travel agencies said the tour groups departing for Thailand next week won't be cancelled, saying popular attractions in Bangkok and Pattaya remain open.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hkedition/2011-10/22/content_13953441.htm

China Daily Hong Kong Edition / 2011-10-22

Watching one of the more obscure T Channels...maybe Spring....and some poor sodding guy interviewer was trying to wade over to talk to some ...again sodding residents when he either slipped or stepped into a drain with no manhole cover...ouch....nobody seem to know whether to laff or cry.

Anyway now that the pound appears to have gained about 50 S"ang and millions of Brits will be heading over with their improved financial spending situation...wots the score with the liquid at Suk-Nana-Pats and Cowboy?...gotta stay open...TAT says so expecting wot about 15 million (scuba divers???)

Seems our place in Samut P is still Ok which is summit but here in the Boonies of Maeon its bucket-ing down again...more Nam

Was going to have a swim but didnt want to get wet.

Let's see. A human being can last for three days with no water, and can last for three weeks with no food. So if this 4 to 6 weeks number is true, I sure as hell hope they have an intelligent plan to get water and food to all the stranded people.....

guess what ,

nobody who owns a 7-11 is going to open it if the cash registers,cctv and fridges cannot work

everybody who walked into a 7-11 with 1m of water would probably be electrocuted anyway

this could be an enormous problem if plodprasop is correct and every district is getting 1 metre of water

Interesting what you say about electrocution. According to my Thai girlfriend watching the Thai news channels, a fair number of the people killed in this flood, were killed by electrocution. This topic is not mentioned in the english speaking news that I have heard. Only faintly alluded to by giving flood advice of raising electrical cords if water enters your house. You would think the power company would be on top of this and automatically turn off power to areas that are flooding.

Watching one of the more obscure T Channels...maybe Spring....and some poor sodding guy interviewer was trying to wade over to talk to some ...again sodding residents when he either slipped or stepped into a drain with no manhole cover...ouch....nobody seem to know whether to laff or cry.

Anyway now that the pound appears to have gained about 50 S"ang and millions of Brits will be heading over with their improved financial spending situation...wots the score with the liquid at Suk-Nana-Pats and Cowboy?...gotta stay open...TAT says so expecting wot about 15 million (scuba divers???)

Seems our place in Samut P is still Ok which is summit but here in the Boonies of Maeon its bucket-ing down again...more Nam

Was going to have a swim but didnt want to get wet.

Nana & Cowboy are designated expat evacation centers B)

guess what ,

Interesting what you say about electrocution. According to my Thai girlfriend watching the Thai news channels, a fair number of the people killed in this flood, were killed by electrocution. This topic is not mentioned in the english speaking news that I have heard. Only faintly alluded to by giving flood advice of raising electrical cords if water enters your house. You would think the power company would be on top of this and automatically turn off power to areas that are flooding.

Are you crazy without electricity everyone has to leave. Here they leave the power on until the electricity meter is reached by water. There was plenty of advice on electricity given here in the village (not far from BKK and we are flooded now) Electricity is still on and as you see internet too. But houses are flooded.

To all the naysayers, lazy barstewards, and barstool generals, have a very close look at the pics in the following link and HONESTLY tell me anyone could have stopped the amount of this floodwater seen FROM SPACE(!!!!) could actually be stopped! If you have an answer I WILL HIRE YOU AS YOUR AGENT AND JOB YOU OUT TO THIS GOVERNMENT (high dayrate btw....). We will be called gods, superpeople, or whatever... Just have a look at the satellite pics>>>>>

http://earthobservat...ew.php?id=76110

You are missing the point. There IS no magic solution that the Thai government could come up with, nor the ThaiVisa brain trust. The failure of the government was not to tell the people a lot sooner that an unstoppable wall of water was headed south. Instead the government is issuing an endless stream of moronic statements that everything will be fine, lulling people into a false sense of security. If you watch the Thai news, you will see people wading through the water with a few possessions on their back, telling the interviewer in amazement how they did not understand how quickly the water came up. This ongoing failure of communication is what the government will be defending itself over in the months to come.

EyesWideOpen: You are perfectly right. The PhueThai party has now also its case where so many innocent people died due to their moronic information about the upcoming flood waters. They knew perfectly well WHEN the big dams in the north have released their water!!! This is not a natural phenomenon or a disaster, but a well thought operation WHICH IS BADLY PLANNED and uncoordinated! Yingluck, where is your smart brother now? Is he going to help you this time?

Bet he is out golfing, shopping or having a massage.

But will there be any food or water in the 7-Eleven? That's the real concern.

WOW 4 to 6 weeks.....

Since Bangkok is basically at the mouth of the river I do not see how it can handle this for 4-6 weeks,

My flight is in 16 days , I might need to rethink this ,

Or come over and help my friends move everything up 2 meters just for safety !

BK

I just talked to a friend that just got home and the airport long term parking is full because it's above ground. So the airport is busy, but still fully functional.

Yes, I was jut leaving for Hong Kong but the parking was full so the airport is partly closed, they don´t accept cars as luggage. There must be other higher places for storage of cars !

Then GET ON WITH IT!. They keep talking they're going to open the floodgates, but they aren't people are waiting for it to happen it doesn't happen. They said Klong Sam Wa, where I live, was going to flood last week. Then it was Thursday night at 10... Nothing... Then they said Saturday morning... Nothing.

The problem is that there are too many cooks in the kitchen and the government has thought it politically necessary to bring in so-called experts, former politicians with no flood experience, to act as advisers. They all want to seem and feel important, so they come up with half-baked ideas.

Meanwhile, everybody is left guessing.

So is the Government.:annoyed:

To all the naysayers, lazy barstewards, and barstool generals, have a very close look at the pics in the following link and HONESTLY tell me anyone could have stopped the amount of this floodwater seen FROM SPACE(!!!!) could actually be stopped! If you have an answer I WILL HIRE YOU AS YOUR AGENT AND JOB YOU OUT TO THIS GOVERNMENT (high dayrate btw....). We will be called gods, superpeople, or whatever... Just have a look at the satellite pics>>>>>

http://earthobservat...ew.php?id=76110

Seems simple enough to me. You start draining water as soon as it starts to flood any of the regions---not wait until the water is lapping round your bottom lip. Is that too much for you to understand----sorry,yes it obviously is !!!!!!!!!

Are you crazy without electricity everyone has to leave. Here they leave the power on until the electricity meter is reached by water. There was plenty of advice on electricity given here in the village (not far from BKK and we are flooded now) Electricity is still on and as you see internet too. But houses are flooded.

Errr ok...... I somehow have this mental image of you typing away on your computer, with your feet in water that is gently lapping near the electrical outlets. Sorry to hear you are flooded, hope it all works out ok..

Edited by metisdead
Quote repaired.

Errr ok...... I somehow have this mental image of you typing away on your computer, with your feet in water that is gently lapping near the electrical outlets. Sorry to hear you are flooded, hope it all works out ok..

Nope, i just relocated everything to the second floor, all other people did the same in the village. Its a gated comunity not a village up north. Anyway as long as people have electricity they can go on. Water can be boiled, water pumps work ect ect ect. Once the electricity goes your basically forced to leave your home.

Because the water was coming slowly for days already (Bang Yai area) the mayor gave good instructions and we sandbagged the village. In the end it came up through the drains. Its the same all over you can sandbag all you want but the drains will do you in.

I am staying here as long as possible.

It's a positive sign to see that popular Bangkok tourist attractions will remain unaffected next week:

travel agencies said the tour groups departing for Thailand next week won't be cancelled, saying popular attractions in Bangkok and Pattaya remain open.

http://www.chinadail...nt_13953441.htm

Anyone having gondolas for sale? I smell big business.:jap:

Nope, i just relocated everything to the second floor, all other people did the same in the village. Its a gated comunity not a village up north. Anyway as long as people have electricity they can go on. Water can be boiled, water pumps work ect ect ect. Once the electricity goes your basically forced to leave your home.

Because the water was coming slowly for days already (Bang Yai area) the mayor gave good instructions and we sandbagged the village. In the end it came up through the drains. Its the same all over you can sandbag all you want but the drains will do you in.

One intelligent dude here - focussed and doing the right thing. Good luck

Maybe someone needs to start a moderated thread about what to do whenthe floods come and leave the blame game on this thread !

If I am reading the PMs warning 4-6 weeks of being wet is a GIANT disaster , all the houses with a meter of water will need to be emptied, sanitized from the nasty polluted water and electrical wiring / boxes checked so they will short out.

The water system will need to be sanitized ,

There is not enough material in all of Thailand to do this,

So is there any solution for the near future other than blaming governments , past and present ?

We need a thread on positive things to do , website links on dealing with floods, polluted water etc.

Lets work together to help, not fight on who is to blame , the water is already here !

BK

Edited by BKKdreaming

wow . . . 4 to 6 weeks :-( this is just flooding :-(

I'm not good in history, but the history tells after natural disaster as such, next is disease, next is food crisis, next is economic breakdown, next is political unstability . . .

that is not 4 to 6 weeks ! something she didn't tell again :-(

Well political instability has beaten the others to the punch....

http://www.chinadail...nt_13953441.htm

Anyone having gondolas for sale? I smell big business.:jap:

Gee, I wonder what popular attractions in Pattaya still work while swimming...

in very cute bikinis I imaging.

One intelligent dude here - focussed and doing the right thing. Good luck

Not that focused, because of the news i was swung between going and staying. I am staying mainly because of my dogs and house. I hope to stay i really do but 3 weeks or more of this is not fun. As long as it wont go over the water pump its ok. But once water goes its a done deal and we need to go. But not sure where to go with the dogs. Hard to transport them.

Hey, anyone know a condo in Bangkok I can buy for under 6 million Baht?

Just kidding, of course. But it still blows me away how the highest real estate values in Thailand are for properties in a city which has had riots in two of the past 3 years, and besides all its other drawbacks, and now is being flooded. I secured 10 rai in northern Thailand for around $5,000. Ok, granted, it was 12 years ago and it doesn't have title, .....but I built a low cost house on it, it has clean air, no riots, endless clean water, zero traffic, 15 minutes from int'l airport, 10 minutes to downtown tourist city, no noise other than birds singing. Sorry to brag in these trying times, but it still baffles me how property with such perils and low quality of life parameters (in Bkk), can demand such extraordinary values.

Suggestion to Bangkokians: get to higher ground, and consider residing somewhere where your health and sanity is not at peril.

WOW 4 to 6 weeks.....

Since Bangkok is basically at the mouth of the river I do not see how it can handle this for 4-6 weeks,

BK

I am due the 8th and may also cancel

But will there be any food or water in the 7-Eleven? That's the real concern.

If 1 meter is correct, that wouldn't be enough to effect all of BKK.

Sure, some communities will be heavily effected. But it won't be much different than getting supplies to the people in other provinces who have been flooded for a few a few months.

Hey, anyone know a condo in Bangkok I can buy for under 6 million Baht?

Just kidding, of course. But it still blows me away how the highest real estate values in Thailand are for properties in a city which has had riots in two of the past 3 years, and besides all its other drawbacks, and now is being flooded. I secured 10 rai in northern Thailand for around $5,000. Ok, granted, it was 12 years ago and it doesn't have title, .....but I built a low cost house on it, it has clean air, no riots, endless clean water, zero traffic, 15 minutes from int'l airport, 10 minutes to downtown tourist city, no noise other than birds singing. Sorry to brag in these trying times, but it still baffles me how property with such perils and low quality of life parameters (in Bkk), can demand such extraordinary values.

Suggestion to Bangkokians: get to higher ground, and consider residing somewhere where your health and sanity is not at peril.

And I was just wondering if water that sits around for 4 to 6 weeks could in any way have a detrimental effect on

elevators in high-rise office and condo buildings and compromise their safety? the next question is will they have enough

technical and skilled people after the water has gone to work their way around everywhere and certify that such elevators are working

100% safely?

Maybe someone needs to start a moderated thread about what to do whenthe floods come and leave the blame game on this thread !

If I am reading the PMs warning 4-6 weeks of being wet is a GIANT disaster , all the houses with a meter of water will need to be emptied, sanitized from the nasty polluted water and electrical wiring / boxes checked so they will short out.

The water system will need to be sanitized ,

There is not enough material in all of Thailand to do this,

So is there any solution for the near future other than blaming governments , past and present ?

We need a thread on positive things to do , website links on dealing with floods, polluted water etc.

Lets work together to help, not fight on who is to blame , the water is already here !

BK

+1

WOW 4 to 6 weeks.....

BK

I am due the 8th and may also cancel

You can still have a fine holiday in Thailand, but not in Bangkok.

But surely the country could use ANYBODY coming to the far north or south and staying, and spending money, and helping give the Thai people hope.

I came a month or so after the tsunami, figuring it wasn't all of Thailand, and my money could help the economy.

Edited by animatic