A Tricky One!?

Hi!

Matter:

A friend of mine have a business conflict with a guy from the same country ( the biz is in BKK)

The "guy" has hired a local (a fellow countryman) "consultant" that also works part time for our country's embassy in Bangkok.

As the laws for gov. workiers in my naitive country, are very strick when it comes to take up other jobs outside a gov. assignment, this is very delicat, from at least one point of view:

The "guy", as we take, has a Thai WP and somehow also has some kind of embassy credentials. But, if he got WP can he work with different things ( as he do!), ranging from language lessons to accounting!? And remember still "moonlighting" for the embassy.

Also, where can we find out if the"guy" has a WP? I know, my friend should have required this document form the beginning, but I try to do everything right.

Thanks in advance.

Mojo

Also, where can we find out if the"guy" has a WP? I know, my friend should have required this document form the beginning, but I try to do everything right.

if he has a WP, it is most likely for one purpose, in one area of work for one company. working outside that permit is not legal.

why not work on the business conflict and get that resolved instead

There is not enough information here to make an accurate assessment. But if the "target" is running a consulting business that is based on providing bsuiness services - and he operates the business correctly (paying required taxes, issuing invoices and receipts, making propoer withholdings, etc.), and he operates from a legitimate registered business address as his "home base" - then I see northing wrong with him having as clients: 1) an embassy; 2) a language stident; and 3) someone who needs accounting services.

My business services firm is presently involved in perhaps 20 extremely diverse activities, for as a many clients. We abide by all rules. I am Managing Director, and I play a role in most activities.

What is true is that if "target" had one job as a specific employee of a large organization, and was then also doing unrelarted work elsewhere for cash, he would technically be in violation.

The idea of effectively "fingering" someone for performing illegal work is - in my mind - an urban myth. If you could somehow find a Thai official who cared, and YOU assembled courtroom evidence for that official that made a compelling prosecution case - then I suppose it is possible. Result - a minor fine, if convicted. There would not be an immigration violation as long as his present entry permit was based on a job that he was still legitimately doing (along with the other, freelance work).

What would really happen would be that if a Thai official were to be motivated enough to visit the "target" at home, and interview him, and the target politely suggested that there was a misunderstanding, the outcome would be a warning to the "target" to not do anything wrong. And that would be the end.

"Target" would not be arrested - he might just have to abandon some off-the-books business. It would take a second offense, after a first warning, to probably result in a serious outcome.

My opinion, anyway. But - I have a long-standing difference of opinion from many here, concerning how Thai police work . I do not believe that they are "trigger happy" and "gunning for farang" - outside, that is, of drug-dealing, pedophilia, and violent crime. In routine matters, they are generally happy to defuse a conflict, warn you away from repeating improper activity, or - if they can get away with it - collect an on-the-spot fine. I say all this, assuming that you are polite and respectful to a policeman who has confronted you. If you speak some Thai, and can show that you are gainfully employed - it is going to take quite a bit for you to be outright arrested for an "administrative" offense.

Indo-Siam